“Very close to original Indian”
Review of Haveli

Haveli
Ranked #82 of 2,050 Restaurants in Bucharest
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Very good food, nice ambiance
Service is good and there is a large variety of dishes
They even have vegetarian section
Easy to find! Abundant parking around it

1  Thank AlexKayv

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Enjoyed dinner here recently. The food is very good and the restaurant is nicely segmented into smoking and non-smoking sections. The samosas we just right in terms of temperature (hot inside but not so hot it burned your tongue) but the inclusion of raisins in the filling is not to my liking. The garlic naan was great and so was the chicken Korma--creamy and flavorful. Prices are high for Bucharest but in line with what other nice Indian restaurants in Eastern Europe charge--100 Lei for the samosas, plain basmati rice, garlic naan, raita, the main, mineral water and a Kingfisher beer.

Service was OK (but I must admit as an American I like waiters who ask: "How is everything?" "Can I get you anything else?" "How was everything?" "Would you like dessert?" "Would you like the bill?", etc. and in general the European model is more stand-off-ish). The decorations in the non-smoking room are very nice. My only negative comment is that the Indian music is a little loud and begins to grate after a while.

This was my second dinner this year and there was no perceptible difference in anything from the first time (service, food quality, etc.)

2  Thank mab60
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I was amazed to find authentic Indian food in Romania. I've been few times to India and Singapore and I became a fan of Indian cuisine. We ordered Samosas, Tika Paneer and yoghurt salad as entry and Palak(spinach) paneer and Chili Paneer and Mango spicy chicken and vegetable rice. All very good, but spinach is absolutely fabulous! Portions larger than India and it will be a shame not to combine, so better order as various as possible and you can mix, but be carefully not to over-order, as we did. the waiter collected the left food and put in a bag, so could enjoy rest of food at home. We concluded with chai masala and had some beers during couses. They even have Kingfisher beer! Memorable experience, if you like or intend to try Indian food definitely worth a visit. Service efficient and discreet, located strategically near Indian Embassy and decoration very cosy. Price OK for Romania, it will be ludicrous to compare with India:)

2  Thank FlorinCT
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Haveli is the most magnificent restaurant i've ever seen.Belive me it's worth it.The ambience is nice and the food is excelent.I don't know what others think but I realy enjoyed eating there.The staff is great...I'm not a restaurant expert or something like that but it's awesome.

2  Thank JhonC669
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Haveli is an Indian restaurant owned by a Pakistani, therefore it calls itself a Pakistani - Indian restaurant. The fact of the matter is that while the cuisine in the entire Indian sub continent (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) is the same (they were one country after all until the British messed up everything like they did in many parts of the world), no restaurant would survive if it called itself a Pakistani or Bangladeshi restaurant. So these proud Pakistani and Bangladeshi owners have to swallow their pride and label their restaurants as Indian!

Having said this and gotten it out of the way, let me give credit where it is due. Those who have read my scathing reviews of Indian restaurants outside of India and London are aware that I am no fan of these restaurants. They are generally a blot on the face of Indian cuisine. However my long experience over the years have shown that Pakistani owner Indian restaurants have a clear edge over their Indian counterparts (the Bangladeshi owned are the worst, avoid them at all cost) when it comes to taste, flavor and quality. I have found this to be true in many countries (Australia, USA, Vietnam, many European countries). So, if you see an Indian restaurant hyphenated with Pakistan, make that your first choice.

I cannot say if Haveli is the best in Bucharest since I have not tried them all. But the aloo gobhi and the veg pulao I had here were excellent. The naan was disappointing, it was dry. The masala chai was awful. The prices were outrageous as is the case with most Indian restaurants in Europe. Even though the décor and the space is upscale and many notches above the typical Indian restaurant décor, it does not justify these kind of prices.

I ended up having an extended chat with my waiter, a gregarious young chap from the Punjab in Pakistan, who was clearly homesick. That chat made up for the awful chai.

3  Thank ZenHealer7