“A citizen of Bucharest”
Review of Open Doors

Open Doors
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The best way to discover Bucharest is by walking. Join our themed tours (Communist, Alternative, Historical) to get to know and understand the city.
Munich, Germany
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“A citizen of Bucharest”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We went on the free walking tour the day before and we liked it very much so we decided to take the Communist Tour from guided bucharest, as well. Our guide on this tour was Stefan, the guy who, as we learned from him, together with friends started this business.
Stefan will take you on a journey through Romania's communist time from begin to the end of it. He will also tell you about his memories of that time and you will learn how the city has changed because of a dictators vision of how Bucharest should look like. Stefan is very knowledgable, and I had the impression that he is very passionate about what he is doing. I enjoyed it and will remember this tour as a highlight of my visit to Bucharest.

1 Thank FunBert

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bolton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent journey through Bucharest's dark history”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We took this tour after taking the free Bucharest tour (also excellent, run by the same organisation) and loved it. As it focuses on the Communist aspect of Bucharest's history it isn't really a sightseeing tour so don't expect to be shown grand buildings at every turn. Instead you are shown the legacy of that era, what life was like under Communism (housing, food, education, secret police etc) and the events of the revolution. It's very interesting, the tour guide was fantastic; really engaging and always had a joke to tell. It really is worthwhile, especially for us 'Westerners' to hear what life was like under Communism. Like I said, if you want to hear about the rest of Bucharest's history, go on the free walking tour (and then do this tour), but if you want to hear about the communist period, there is no better way. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Josephcubbin
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Excellent off the beaten track tour”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

A very interesting and enjoyable tour about the street art scene and some of the social issues that young Romanians face. We were a really small group and our guide Carmen was simply wonderful, so the experience felt really personal and engaging and I enjoyed it more than the regular walking tour (which was also good). If you have a few days in Bucharest I definitely recommend it!

Guided-Bucharest, Manager at Open Doors, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Vladimir,
Thank you for your feedback - it really helps me a lot to understand what you liked the most in our tour.
I also enjoyed our walk and discussion, so thank you for joining! Hope to meet you again in our future travel destinations ;)

All the best,
Carmen - your Alternative guide
Akron, Ohio
“This tour sold me on the greatness that is Bucharest, great guide!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

When we arrived in Bucharest I wasn't so sure on how to feel about it, the city still seems to be recovering from the effects of communism. I went through the general tour and felt a lot of the absence of what used to make Bucharest so culturally distinct, a lot of important landmarks were destroyed during the communist era. I felt a little depressed actually! And then we embarked on the Alternative tour and I finally understood that Bucharest is much more than pretty buildings that are no longer there, there is a wonderfully vibrant community of artists and activists that continue to thrive! Carmen was our lovely guide and she really showed us "another side" of Bucharest,one that was full of cool street art and amazing political messages. She was really knowledgeable , I highly recommend her! We thought she had to be an art history major, she really explained the intent and style of the street art very well.

Guided-Bucharest, Manager at Open Doors, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Jillian,
Thank you so much for your review. I am super-happy you changed your opinion on Bucharest at our tour as the city has really a lot to offer..
I am glad you enjoyed the walk and the locations we discovered in our tour. I also enjoyed your company, your way of seeing things and your determination ;)
Good luck for you in the future!

All the best,
Carmen - your alternative guide
Adelaide, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Stefan was always interesting and engaging and a true ambassador for his country.”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I went on the Communist tour and also the free tour with Stefan. Always putting his guests first, Stefan adapted to individual needs as well as to the needs of the group, I believe a rare gift for a tourist guide. Even though I was the only guest on the communist tour (due to a no show), Stefan's commitment and passion for his job meant that I walked away after the full tour with a real insight into the plight of the Romanian people under Communism, but also geniune respect for a gentleman who obviously cares so deeply about his country. Thank you Stefan. I am better informed and a better person for having met you.