“Had a good time!”

Vila 11 Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #41 of 127 Bucharest B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Hi All,

I just wanted to say I was staying in Villa 11 this summer for 2 nights and I think it was ok. Of course, it wasn't a 4-star hotel, but it was a good value for money: our room (double on top floor) was clean, sheets were fresh (although a little it worn), breakfast was superb, owner was really helpful.

The only issue we had was barhroom - could have been nicer & cleaner. But nothing I couldn't live with!

If you're a student or globetrotter, this is definetely a place you can stay in. If you're looking for above-the-average accomodation for romantic trip - I wouldn't advise Villa 11.

Best regards,
Weronika

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 22, 2008

Based on our experience earlier this week I would strongly recommend Vila 11 for those on a budget. I've seen the previous comments about it being dirty, but when we were there everything was very clean and we really liked it.

We arrived with our two children aged 10 and 7 and without a booking at about 9.30 a.m., very hot and bothered from looking for somewhere to stay, and were immediately made to feel very welcome by Debbie, the Canadian owner. We had a triple room for us and another room off it with two bunks for the boys, plus our own bathroom, for 135 RON.

We couldn't get into the room at first as it was still occupied until midday, so Debbie whisked the boys off to wash their hands and then sat us all down for fresh pancakes with home made jam. There was bread, cheese and tomtatoes and coffee also - as much as you wanted. She even suggested we could make ourselves a sandwich if we wanted to go out sightseeing until the room was free.

And this was all before we had committed to taking the room - she wouldn't take any money until we had seen it.

The other travellers round the table were younger than us (of course, as we are middle aged!), but all very friendly and polite to us and each other.

It was basic and the sheets were certainly quite worn, but they were definitely clean and the beds were comfy. The rooms and bathroom were very clean, though I agree that the shower cubicle was falling apart.

It's not for you if you want luxury, but if you want a family run place with a warm welcome you'll like it.

The decor is charming - cluttered, yes, but the mix of family photos and certificates on the walls, Romanian folk kitsch and Christmas decorations is great fun! There are games to play, free cold water from the cooler, and Debbie is really helpful with information and drawing maps. She also lent us her Bucharest in Your Pocket which was a very good supplement to our Rough Guide.

Terribly hot on the top floor when we were there (but then it was about 35 degrees outside) and the barking dogs nearby were a nuisance so I would recommend earplugs for a good night's sleep.

We had to leave for the airport at 3.30 a.m. and opted for the transfer with Stefan, Debbie's husband for 70 RON to Baneasa. Yes, that was a lot more than a taxi, but at that time of night it was good to know he was definitely going to show up (as he lives there!). Other times of day I would recommend a metered taxi - from Baneasa to Gara de Nord when we arrived we paid 17 RON on the meter.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2007

The Lonely Planet writer must have been in a different planet when he quoted the place as "homy". Devil wouldn't stay there... let alone decent human beings.
The place is filthy, the building is derilict.

Our 2 bed room:
1) was a box with 2 single beds squashed in;
2) had a dirty toilet and a shower cubicle 'literally" falling to pieces. The sliding doors of the cublicle were just planks of plastic completely loose from the frame;
3) slunted to one side and, with a massive gap between the wall and the floor... how do you like to see spiders running around you?
4) was somehow close to other people's toilets, so, as they flushed at 3o'clock in the morning, who can sleep?

The kitchen:
1) Kitchen... what kitchen?!?!? I've seen dirty places before but, this "lovely Canadian family" don't even wipe the kettle where you're supposed to get your hot water from...
Ah... I'm not talking about wiping the inside of the kettle. I'm really talking about a kettle covered in "brown substances" all over its exterior... I have a feeling that kettle was retrieved from a rubbish dump.
2) Cups, sources, table and cutlery were simple "intouchables".
Why? They are filthy.... FILTHY!!!
3) Did I have breakfast there? I'm not a lunatic.
Even though I've paid for it (as in most hostels, accommodation is paid in advance)... I just didn't want to take any risks.
Had my morning coffee + toast at the McDonald's inside the Gara de Nord Station

Money matters:
3.1) A taxi ride from the Airport to the hostel cost me RON85.
Any taxi driver in town does that for half price (I only found that out after paying my hard-earned RON85);
3.2) Value for money? You're joking... as I said before... Devil wouldn't stay there. Please don't!!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank JoseGaglioni
Reviewed August 21, 2007

I have stayed at Vila 11 many times, almost since they opened in 1999. I take a student group there for several days each summer but have stayed there in fall and winter when in town on business. Beats the cheap hotels all to pieces. Here is what I like----

1. Location cannot be beaten. 150 meters to Gara de Nord but hidden from Gara atmosphere.
2. A few meters from metro and all major bus routes.
3. Price is fair. I know the owners well so I know something of what it takes to operate and the price is very fair. Also, they don't hound you to pay the second you walk in the door.
4. Rooms are always clean and I have stayed in every room. Most summer nights they are very full and some travelers are slobs but as a rule the beds are always clean, plenty of towels, private rooms have showers, plumbing that works!
5. Breakfast is included and not just bread and jam as one hostel I tried in Transylvania. Traditional European though which means vegetables, sheep cheese, bread and home made jam, chai, sometimes eggs and most days pancakes starting at 9 am.
6. Information is freely provided for everything from local transportation to attractions to travel itineraries, train schedules, etc.
7. They can arrange airport transfer for you.
8. Owners speak English, Romanian, French and a couple of other languages.
9. Owners live on site. The hostel is their home and they try to make it a home for all who come there, no matter how busy they are.
10. The guests. It could be my imagination but Vila 11 seems to attract travelers who are a little more mature as a rule with very interesting backgrounds. Sitting around the breakfast table is always fun.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Our family found Vila 11 in the guide books and we were not disappointed. It was a homey place to stay, quiet and pleasant people. They helped us with directions and the owner makes some wonderful, easy to read maps! They helped us deal wtih the train station ticket clerks and had all sorts of knowlege about other destinations ( refered us to some other families in Transilvania with accomodations). The rooms were cosy and full of little nick-nacks that took away the hotel feeling of being away fom home. We liked it.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2006

Together with a friend of mine, I booked with Vila 11 for 3 nights early December. Though I had prepared myself on the specificalities of budget lodging, the impression Vila 11 made when we entered the house was overwhelming. In a negative way. The house itself was a mess, with a number of peculiar people (amongst which the apparent hosts) hanging around on the ground floor, not really bothering our entree. We were brought to our 2 bed room; two beds with matrasses directly on ground level, only looking at it gave immediate back ache. The sheets on the bed made a filthy impression. Windows had no curtains and the bathroom was not clean. I have done my fair share of budget travelling, but eur 15 per person per night for such a place outside of the center of bucharest can be considered a rip off. We cancelled our stay on the spot and went to a different place.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank Granny_smit
Reviewed November 11, 2006

This hostel was so dirty I didn't actually stay here. I booked it on the internet and when I arrived I was put off instantly by the filth in the room. I would have put up with this for one night, however when I pulled back the sheets on the bed I decided I couldn't stay. The sheets were stained and dirty.
It may be cheap but still I expected clean.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo