“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #53 of 167 Hotels in Bucharest
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I spent 2 nights in this hotel, and I was pleasantly surprised by the very good standards and service. The hotel is about 30-60 mins from the H. Coanda Intn'l airport, depending on the traffic. C/in was a breeze, polite and quick front desk staff. Non-smoking floors are available and the room was very large, I mean it was really spacious and well maintained. It was equipped with a large flatscreen TV with loads of channels from all different languages.
A well-stocked minibar, comfy bed, lights, spare pillows and clean room and bathroom awaited for me. The bathrooom was again spacious and well equipped with amenities, dryer.
Breakfast is available on the floor, nothing special, but okay. There is a bar-restaurant on the ground floor that I recommend, the variety and quality of the food is very good and the prices are reasonable.
In the lobby area there is a PC with a printer, otherwise the hotel provides for a complementary Wi-Fi service which worked well.
The hotel has its own shuttle with a Mercedes car to the Airport. It is pricey, but quick and comfortable.
In sum, I recommend this hotel and I would stay again in it should I return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Utas2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Essex
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I have stayed here now three times in the last months. My reason was for business. Rates were very good.
Staff have always been very polite and attentive. Breakfast is a typical european affair with odd bacon but all very edible. The cafe come bar located in the lobby is very good and stays open late.
Rooms are huge and clean.
Would i go back? yes without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank TACR48
Brussels
Reviewed December 11, 2009

The hotel is very good and it is very modern, so new rooms.
The service is attentive and the staff is kind.
The restaurant is in the hall of the hotel and offer simple but tasteful plates.
The position is good and the environment is quite safe.

• Liked — Location and comfort of the rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank Rosario_it
Half Moon Island
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I have been in Bucharest for business ~10 times this year and I have been staying mostly at the Golden Tulip Times so I got plenty of occasions to test their service.

Pros:
- Friendly and helpful personnel
- Free wireless internet (but often instable)
- Modern, good standard in the room (comfy beds, large rooms, flat screens with 150+ channels, nice bathrooms)
- Good location (a bit off from the strict city center but in one of the higher-end - and safe - areas of Bucharest, with quite a few nice cafes/restaurants and 50m away from a metro station).
- OK breakfast
- Very reasonable value for money, especially if you catch some of the online offers (I was able to book once for 75€/night)
- HUGE Deluxe rooms/suites

Cons:
- Check-out is every time a slow process
- The hotel's restaurant is not very exciting - walk around the boulevard to find alternative places
- Quite a lot of traffic as the hotel is located on a large avenues

Overall I can recommend GT Times - a good place if you have to travel to Bucharest on business or privately.

• Liked — Modern rooms, good comfort
  • Disliked — Check out is too long
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Alias34632
Madison
Reviewed November 30, 2007

First the positive: it is a new hotel with nice rooms and clean, modern common areas. It is next to the Piata Muncii subway station, which means you can be anywhere in the city in minutes without a car. There are several restaurants nearby, an ING bank location, a gas station and a 24 hour supermarket within very short walking distance. Now the negative: firstly, the management is sloppy and insolent. I booked my room through Priceline.com and this was a huge issue for them. Shortly after I booked it I needed to change the reservation to add a third person to the room. Since I couldn't do it through Priceline.com, I had to contact the hotel directly. I wrote a detailed email to the reservations department with the changes, asking for the new price; days went by and no answer. I called several times and was told different things each time I called. Finally, I was quoted a price of 30 euros per day for the third person which seemed reasonable. When we checked in, we were told it would be actually 40 euros per day for the extra person to cover his breakfast as well. We accepted, and the front desk told us we are welcome to have breakfast between such and such hours on the mezzanine level. However, the second day, when we showed up, we were told by the breakfast staff that our room did not include the breakfast buffet and we would have to pay extra. This naturally irritated me and I went to the front desk trying to straighten it out. How naive of me! They had no idea what I was talking about, different staff altogether, standing firm behind the notion that we do not have breakfast included. On the weekend the management was nowhere to be found. When they did show up on Monday, the assistant manager informed me that only people who pay the full price listed on the wall in the lobby get the breakfast buffet. Anyone who pays a discounted rate, such as we did through Priceline.com, has to pay for the breakfast separately. Nowhere is this stated in the Priceline reservation, because I would not have booked a room without breakfast; I would have kept searching for a hotel with a nice breakfast included since this is absolutely standard hospitality practice in any modern country and not a big deal at all. The assistant manager took a hostile attitude toward us and made further ridiculous claims such as that we booked a room only for one person through Priceline (the receipt I presented to him clearly showed he was lying), that he has no control over what Priceline offers (hard to believe that they do not have a specific contract with specific terms), finally shouting to me "We haven't even been paid by Priceline yet!". Evidently I don't control their arrangement with Priceline.com; I prepaid the room through Priceline, which charged my credit card and Priceline is responsible for paying them according to the terms of their contract. Horrible. Humiliating. Zero customer service. If the room hadn't been prepaid we would have walked out immediately. The second negative is the light odor of the sewer that wafted gently from the bathroom into the entire room at all times. The room looks great and so does the bathroom, but there is this odor that emanates. I suspect shoddy plumbing behind the nicely tiled walls. It prevented us from eating in the room, and cost the hotel in room service we never got. But after the disgusting way we were treated regarding the breakfast issue, I did not dare complain about this as well. I realized the assistant manager was fully capable of standing in the middle of the room and stating he smells nothing. Why bother? They probably know already and don't care. After all, the maid was in there everyday. To put icing on the cake, in the middle of our last night there, someone tried their key several times into our lock throughout the night. I kept hearing the beeps from the door saying it rejected the card. I listened intently on my side of the door and heard nothing further. Actually it was a bit scary. I did not dare open the door. It is too bad because some of the staff was really nice and gave us good customer service without any problems. I blame the management for being completely unprofessional and ruining a potentially nice hotel.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness of the hotel and room
  • Disliked — Insolent management, bad customer service, smell from bathroom
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank meteorit
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I stayed at this hotel just for a couple of nights during a business trip. Seems to be a nice clean place with good service and nice management. Slightly hot in the hotel itself, but room air conditioning worked well.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Nova Gorica, Slovenia
Reviewed November 17, 2006

Hi, I stayed in this hotel for the first time as I needed a change. I am quite often in Bucharest and did try some hotels already. Room was nice, clean, safe is really funny as it is not mounted to the wall (as already mentioned in one previous post), bathroom was nice and fresh and what I liked the most was the window that could be opened...I got borred of that mixed air only in most of the hotels. Staff at check in was friendly, but for 4 star hotel some more courtesy from the staff (baggage wise) would be expected. Breakfast was not to sing glory to, but was OK, and in general you can find something for you. Bar staff was great, friendly, house keeping did their job quite good, but the fact you can hardly live on is the elevator. I am staying in at least 3-4 hotels every month, but that one here is the slowest one. Slow walk on the stairs can bring you to the 8th floor before the elevator... OK, if you arereally not in the hurry, you can live with that but it is annoying.

Anyway I can recommend this hotel for business traveler, wireless internet is good, room spacious enough you can work in...and I am staying in again from Monday till Thursday next week.

I also hope that girl at the front desk that was working at my check out during my first stay at Tulip Times will have better days next week....

Best regards
H

• Liked — Bar staff
  • Disliked — Elevator
  • Tips/Secrets — Try it and creat your opinion