“Far a way from a West European Botanical Garden”

The Botanical Garden (Gradina Botanica)
Ranked #54 of 308 things to do in Bucharest
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the more striking things about this beautiful botanical garden is the fact that it is located right next to an industrial centre, complete with cooling towers, chimneys churning out everything nasty-looking, and nasty smells. That small problem aside, the garden is well kept and absolutely beautiful in the spring. While having a stroll, you'll come across impressive pine trees, a lily pond with waterfall and a herb garden. Bucharestians treat the gardens as a park, and on warm afternoons you may see more young lovers than plants. The huge glasshouses are open Tue, Thr, Sat, Sun, 09:00 - 13:00. Take bus 336 from Universitate to get there. Admission 10,000 lei (5,000 for children).
Reviewed August 17, 2012

not well maintained; no investment in the park. However, it is a quite place in the middle of Bucharest

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was with my wife in the Cotroceni area and we choose to enter also Botanic Garden. Was a real surprise for us, a cold and relaxing place in the summer heat. If you don't want to go to Cismigiu and need a place only for you Botanic Garden should not be missed.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I visited Botanical Garden as chid, with my parents and cosins - I still keep the pictures and remember that I fell like Robinson Cruso, discovering that amazing plalce, full of flowers, trees, nice places aranged as little pounds, visited as a young girl, with my friend, again visited with my sister and then with my husband and son... a place full of rare species, spctacular trees and lot of memories for me....

Reviewed June 3, 2012

You may find a quiet place there, in the middle of the Bucharest, with all the ingredients you would need to relax: green plants with colourful flowers, a little lake, nice resting places under old trees and not too much crowded or noise (this maybe also because, unlike regular parks, here you must pay a 50 ron entrance fee per adult).

Unfortunately, the impression I remained with is that everything is old and not updated: there were places were the grass was not cut, the paths were in bad condition, the glasses from the rooms with plants (sera) were very dirty... Also, to visit these rooms or the exhibitions the schedule is suitable, in my opinion, only for the ones with small babies or for the retired people: 9 - 13.

Too bad, if some resources and works would be done here, I think these could be a great alternative to crowded parks in which you could also admire some special type of plants.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

The Botanical Garden is situated next to a heavy industrial area. There is a green house, but it was closed and looked as if it had been a long time since it was last open. The whole experience was quite depressing.