“Lovely boutique hotel with nice staff, in the middle of the old town”
Review of Rembrandt Hotel

Rembrandt Hotel
Ranked #4 of 168 Hotels in Bucharest
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lovely boutique hotel with nice staff, in the middle of the old town”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed at Rembrandt hotel in July 2013, for a total of 4 nights. My friend and I chose the hotel based on the good review here, and the location (my Romanian friend told me that this is the area with a lot of bars and restaurants and we should stay in this area) and we were extremely happy with our decision. I will definitely come back next time I visit Bucharest.

(Pros)
(1) As I wrote above, location is excellent. It's sort of at the edge of the most fun area in Bucharest, with bars, clubs, restaurants. Because it's not in the center, it's a bit quiet (I guess), but if you go out of the hotel, you are basically surrounded by bars and restaurants. This is awesome! Moreover, it's at the edge of the fun area, you can park the car at a nearby parking.
(2) The hotel itself has a cafe, Van Gogh. It's a nice cafe.
(3) At least our plan came with the breakfast, and it was wonderful! With free espresso/ cappuccino, fruits, salads, breads, and waffles!
(4) The staff are nice and charming. They speak good English so there's no communication problem.
(5) It's probably an old building, and the building is thin, meaning most likely you will stay on an upper floor, but the hotel has a lift.
(6) Free wifi!
(7) The furniture is a bit old and boring, but it's spacious. No problem with hot water at all. My room was equipped with safety box.
(8) I think the price is reasonable.

(Cons)
(1) Not much, but it's an old building and the decoration of the room is a bit outdated.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Turkish first
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I chose the Rembrandt in large part due to the excellent reviews. I wanted to stay in the Old Town and having never been to Bucharest I was unsure of the best hotel and location. I certainly made the right choice. First, the location is excellent. You are right in the heart of the action. Many restaurants and bars are literally just outside your door. The historic Caru Cu Bere is just around the corner. As far as the hotel - let me start with the staff. They were friendly and helpful before I even made it Romania as I had many questions they helped answer via email. They were even friendlier once I checked in. It seemed like any time I needed something it was only 1 minute before somebody was knocking on my door to help me. The hotel is very nice. It only has 16 rooms, much smaller than hotels where I usually stay. I had one of the executive rooms and to be honest it was larger than I needed. It was really big. It did look over the street which was nice. I am not sure what the view would be in one of the smaller rooms but if I could do it again I would probably save a few dollars and get the smaller room. They were nicely decorated with a large desk, two leather chairs, a large comfortable bed and a modern bathroom. It was very clean and attractive. I really don't see how you can beat the Rembrandt for the money. You would be hard pressed to find a better staff. The included breakfast is great. A selection of nice fruits, cereals, meats, breads, cheeses, made to order waffles, coffee and juices. It was wonderful. I don't have any complaints but there are just a couple of things I would change if I could. The bathtub is very high. I am a tall man and found I had to be careful when stepping out of it. I think a shorter person would have trouble. There was plastic step stored under the sink that I didn't notice till my last day, but I think even with that it might prove challenging for short people. There is only one towel in the bathroom. Now, they will gladly provide another one but I didn't think ahead and took a shower once while my towel was still wet and had to dry with a wet towel. It would be nice to have two towels. Several reviewers mentioned the noise at night. It is noisy, although I was not bothered. You have to understand where you are staying. If you stay here you are choosing to stay in the "party" area of town. People party late and make noise. My only other gripe is really more of a commentary in Romania. The ATM machines mainly gave me money in 100 leu notes (about $30.) Well, nobody wants to take those large notes and it is hard to find change. I asked the hotel several times for change and they never had it. One of the young ladies who works there once made change for me out of her personal money, which was nice, but the hotel doesn't seem to keep change. I don't know of a hotel in the US that would not be able to make change for a customer. That would have been a nice little bit of customer service. But that is just being extremely picky. If I make it to Bucharest again I would stay only at the Rembrandt. It is a great hotel with a wonderful staff for an unbeatable price.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 31 and 51. They face the street. Those rooms seem to be the best view and the lar...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
California
Reviewed September 4, 2013

After reading a number of reviews on Tripadvisor, we selected a room facing toward the back because people said the front facing rooms were noisy. The back facing rooms are very small, dark, and claustrophobic and after one night we switched to a front facing room and the difference was staggering! We had a huge room, bright, airy with a spectacular view of the old city. We were on the 4th floor and it was not noisy at all.

The hotel is so centrally located you can't even drive to it...need to park taxi at end of the street and walk along the cobblestones till you reach the hotel. We saw almost everything to see in Bucharest walking from our hotel...only took a cab to see the huge government building and a beautiful old local park (both sights totally worth it...).

A sight that is not easy to see or to find is the Romanian Holocaust Memorial. It's worth inquiring about. We also went to the famous restaurant Caru'cu bere. The folk dancing is very fun, the atmosphere festive, and the food very very good. It's a short walk from the Rembrandt Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Loved the place. The location is perfect as it is right by where all the bars and restaurants are, in old town Bucharest. But the noise never entered the room.

The staff were great and so were the rooms. There was nothing stylish about this place, but it just did everything well.

Our room was large, clean and comfortable and had plenty of amenities. The bathroom was also nice.

Breakfast was of a very quality and had plenty of choice. It is clear from the moment you step in the hotel that they want you to go away with a good impression and be happy. They achieved this entirely with me. We felt it to be very well priced, even in peak season.

I would not stay anywhere else if I visit Bucharest again.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed August 24, 2013

After traveling by train and finding ourselves in a taxi touring the streets of Bucharest we did not know quite what to expect. The taxi driver left us at the end of a street as he couldn't go any further. After a short stroll over cobblestones we found the Rembrandt Hotel. Marius was on the front desk and was very charming and helpful. The lift was tiny 1 person and one suitcase. The room however was enormous, clean and with a great view. The shower was wonderful. The staff were very helpful, friendly and good humoured. The buffet breakfast was delicious with freshly squeezed orange juice and home made waffles. The Rembrandts position in "little Paris" makes it a great choice. Great value for money.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the better room
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Linda B
Bilbao, Spain
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Despite the invisibility and confusion when you first arrived to its front; its a great hotel, small but clean, and in a great location for a walking trip to Bucarest.

Nice professionals, with private shuttle to/from the airport. Breakfast is enough.

Room Tip: There is a room called The Balcony, with a small wooden balcony with awesome views of Bucharest.
Thornton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2013

right in the heart of Old Town Bucharest. Our room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. It was VERY hot when we were there (August 2013) and they had air conditioning!!!
We were in the perfect place for walking and exploring the city.
Staff couldn't have been more wonderful, friendly and knowledgable. Buffet breakfast was delightful.

Room Tip: Our friends made our reservation and I believe it was considered a business class room. Bed was nice...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel