“A great place to stay in Bucharest”
Review of Puzzle Hostel

and 1 more site!
Puzzle Hostel
Ranked #60 of 158 Specialty Lodging in Bucharest
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at Puzzle Hostel at the beginning and end of my stay in Romania and it is great value for money. The six bed dorm I was in was clean and spacious and had lockers. Outside the dorm is an area with sofas where you can socialise or use your laptop. There are bathrooms on both floors and both were cleaned regularly by John who seemed to run everything! He is friendly and helpful as was everyone. It is fairly easy to find from the train station and 1km south is a nice, very safe park where you can sit and have a drink. On exiting the other end there is a road with MacDonalds, KFC, a bistro and other restaurants. The kitchen was downstairs and the breakfast is included in the price. Security is very good and it is a pretty safe area to walk around. All in all a great choice in a great location within reasonable walking distance of most sights. Recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Dorsetbruce

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at Puzzle Hostel with no booking at 7:30am and was greeted by the receptionist who was able to book me in for two nights and said I was free to use the kitchen, bathroom and common areas until my bed was free at 12.

The hostel is located a 10 minute walk from the train station, 15 minutes from old town and 5 minutes from Bucharest's main park. There's plenty of mini-marts nearby and a supermarket a short 5 minutes walk away.

The staff are all friendly and helpful and the value for money is excellent. I would highly reccomend Puzzle Hostel and will be staying there when I next visit Bucharest.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank As2k10
Reviewed August 11, 2013

A great hostel in Bucarest! One of the cheapest in the city too. We arrived late with no booking. It was fully booked but they suggest we sleep on the couch, which we actually booked for 4 nights! The staff and the owners are very kind, trustworthy and helpful. I'm so glad I met them all! We had really nice chats and fun. We made French crepes, what a night! :) The kitchen is fully equiped, there's also a washing machine that you can use freely. There's the air conditioning and the hostel (including the bathrooms) is very clean, anytime. There's also a nice terasse to chill after a whole walking day.
The location is convenient as well, like 10 min walking from the main train station and 15 min walking from the city center. Two mini shops are 1 min walking and open till late.
If you are looking for a hostel in Bucarest, you definitely have to go to Puzzle hostel!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank CCind
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We (my best friend and I) arrived late and we hadn't book. The hostel was full, but the receptionist offered us to stay on the couch instead, which we accepted straightaway. The weather was really hot, and we were glad to have air-conditioning (like in all the other rooms). The following morning, the staff was really helpful. They gave us tips about the city and gave us a map. We were supposed to stay 2 nights at the beginning, but in the end we stayed there for 4 nights.
The hostel is squeaky clean, and whenever you need something (help with the air-conditioning, the washing-machine..) the staff is always willing to help you. They taught me to play Septica which was great!
The hostel is 15 mns on foot from the old city center, so it is well-located and very safe. You can eat on the terracy which is very nice as well.
I highly recomment this hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Gersende90
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were a group of 26 people. The staff at Puzzle Hostel were very accommodating and worked hard to make us feel comfortable. The space worked well for our group. We filled the entire hostel. We had a pleasant stay and would return when visiting Bucharest again.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank pbrady
Reviewed June 24, 2013

At first it seemed like a good place- the American at reception was really nice and helpful. The room seemed very clean. And then it seemed to go downhill a bit fast. Overall it felt like we were staying in a dorm half full of university students- no other travelers.

The private room had a frosted window pane- that was actually quite see-through. It was more see-through than the bathroom door! I thought the dorm rooms looked more private because people couldn't see through the doors. The room offered two twin beds, that weren't comfortable when pushed together, and then one of the beds broke on our last night just from us sitting on it to watch a movie together. The receptionist tried to fix it (even though it seemed silly to try) and then left us with a broken bed frame in the room- that we moved out to have room to walk around the mattress on the floor.

The shower had such little water pressure, it was difficult to wash my hair. On our first night, the drain was stopped up, so I was standing in inches of water. It seemed as though someone fixed the shower drain, but failed to see what looked like poop on the floor next to the toilet. How poop got there baffled me. How it continued to stay there for three nights infuriated me. There was a cleaning check list on the back of the door- that was last signed in February. It's June.

We were invited to the hostel bbq and looked forward to socializing with other travelers, or even the students living here. We were told it would be at 7:30. Food wasn't served until after 10. It was weird. The few attendees and receptionist were immersed in music videos on a laptop while eating. There weren't enough chairs set up, so we sat on the stairs and were often in the way of others going in and out. It was awkward, poorly organized, and despite my love of a free meal, wasn't worth it at all. I hadn't eaten for several hours and expected to eat when we were told there would be food! It felt awkward going out to get food while we waited for the bbq, but in hindsight, it would have made for a better evening as the bbq itself was just as, if not more awkward.

The air-conditioning and wi-fi worked well. If we weren't paying nearly $40. for the private room, I wouldn't complain- but it felt like a rip-off. If you want a positive hostel experience, go elsewhere. If you want a private room that feels private, also go elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thiskentuckygirl
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in early April purely because it was the cheapest I could find online. For a cheap hostel I was very impressed, paid around €6 for a 6 bed dorm but I think it is more pricey in high season. Rooms were spacious and clean. Two good bathrooms were available. Kitchen was fairy well equipped. Romanian and international students live here long term during the quiter months, but I thought this was better than having no one in the hostel like some others I have stayed in around this time. It was about a 15min walk to the old town. 5 mins to train station. The neighbourhood seems a bit rough but i had no issues. The American guy on reception was very helpful, had a really good knowledge of the city. Would definitely recommend puzzle hostel if you are looking for somewhere cheap. Not sure about atmosphere as there wasn't many folks around but I think it was just because of the time of year, apparently it gets busy in the summer

• Stayed: April 2013