“Great stay, a little dated and some questionable guests”

InterContinental Bucharest
Ranked #8 of 166 Hotels in Bucharest
UK
“Great stay, a little dated and some questionable guests”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Great club room experience - club lounge service excellent with happy hour from 6pm til 10.30pm (Guatemala Intercon = 45 minutes!). Welcome fruit basket on arrival was a nice touch, with a hand-written welcome note. Rooms well appointed but a little dated, especially the bathroom with short, high sided bath and in-bath shower with one of those nasty curtains. Good book in the room about Bucharest but, sadly, some previous guests had ripped some of the pages out, including those with the city maps. Not what you'd expect in an Intercon club room. Great location and good city views from the front-facing balconies.

Room Tip: Front facing for great city views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank msmytravel
InterContinenta... B, General Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your experience at the InterContinental Bucharest. It is greatly appreciated. I am happy to read that you felt welcomed. It is a pleasure to see that you had such a great experience at the Club InterContinental Lounge. It is a unique venue in Bucharest, a pity to miss it if accommodated in the hotel. I apologise for the book, indeed a good observation to be considered. Thank you for all your comments and thank you for offering to recommend us.

I am looking forward to your next visit!

All my best wishes.

Stefan Frank

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I recently stayed here on a business trip for 3 days. The hotel was clean and efficient. I have to say the staff was on top of every detail and extremely helpful always aiming to please. Breakfast had an extensive selection and made to order omelets, eggs, waffles, etc. The location was also excellent as it was a quick walk to some great bar and restaurant areas. Overall the rooms were very nicely equipped with a classic yet functional style. I will without a doubt stay at this property in the future.

1 Thank Michael V
InterContinenta... B, General Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your excellent review. It is great that you found our location excellent. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the breakfast selection, that means a good start of the day.
Thank you for all the compliments addressed to the team, they are as happy as I am to see that you had such an enjoyable stay at the InterContinental Bucharest.

I hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Eance, France
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stay at Intercon's quite often, am rarely disappointed, and this stay was no exception.
Superb views over the city from the 9th floor suite, excellent bed, the bathrooms were very well appointed, overall a very relaxing and enjoyable stay.
From arrival at check in, (gave my name and received an envelope with room keys and tickets for a complimentary drink at the bar) to being in the room took no more than two minutes. Very well organised, just what you would expect from a good quality holel.
The staff were superb, the questions we asked were answered within a heartbeat, with everybody prepared to go out of their way if required.
Doubt I'll be back in Bucharest, but if I do, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... B, General Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and thank you for your loyalty to the InterContinental Bucharest! I am so happy that the serviced we have delivered was up to your expectations. It is so nice to read that you found everything great, from the check in experience to the overall attitude of the team. Thank you for offering to recommend us.

I hope I will have the chance to welcome you back!

All the best!

Merseyside
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We used the Lounge for just one day of our 4 day stay as we had other things to do.The two ladies in charge offered attentive and friendly service all day and evening. Nothing was too much trouble. Nice refreshments fabulous Romanian red wine nice ambience and great views.
We have used many of these Lounges around the World and this is currently at the top of the list along with Budapest and Dusseldorf. I hope that the management recognise the immense value of the experience given to customers by such wonderful staff.

Merseyside
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We have just returned from a four day city break to Bucharest. Our stay at the Intercontinental was excellent. We were pleased with the check in and the services of the helpful concierge team.We had a room on the 8th floor which was spotlessly clean and had very tasteful furniture and furnishings Thought had been taken to protect the wood with glass tops - a simple thing missing in so many places so everything looked to be in a very good state.It was lovely to have a balcony to view the city -what a lot of traffic!!! . The bathroom was good and toiletries provided were good quality and replenished daily. We had tea/coffee making and these too wre replenished daily. We saw the lovely new looking carpets on the corridors being shampooed every day and it smelt very fresh and clean - this was a first!
We used the club lounge for one of the days and this was superb and excellent value for money and what friendly staff. The Corso Brasserie for breakfast was good and breakfast is served until 10.30
My thoughts on Bucharest, in trying to be helpful,is that it is very interesting to visit. Negatives would be impatient erratic driving and constant horns being sounded amazing 11 lane roads in one direction and difficulty getting across some roads due to size. Also the smoking which we have got used to not having to endure.It is not a shopping mecca and the people in the shops do not understand English in the main and I don't speak their language we managed.However smiling is a an international non verbal communication and it was sadly lacking. The postal service has to be seen to be believed but our postcards have duly arrived in the UK so perhaps faster than Italy. Souvenirs are few and far between so does not appear to be geared up for Tourists, or was it just the time of year?
Overall for the History and interest value this is well worth a visit. Staying in this Hotel is a must as we visited some other 5 star Hotels and this won every time.

Room Tip: All good we think Higher floors better views and the front of the Hotel perhaps better
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your five star review! It feels great to read that your experience was a superb one. I am happy that you found excellent the Club InterContinental Lounge. It is really a place not to miss when visiting InterContinental Bucharest! Thank you so much for choosing us for your stays and also for offering to recommend us.

I hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and to create together some other great experiences.

All my best,

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed November 16, 2013

In the heart of Bucharest you can find this great 5 star hotel, It is easy to find because it is the tallest building in the area. Elegance is the main feeling you get in this hotel, and the staff is very friendly and willing to help and answer questions. A very important thing is that we did not have to wait at the reception for check in as I have to wait at all hotels and I really hate when that happens. Anyway, the elevators are specia, they are extremely fast, thet go from lobby to the 22nd floor in jus seconds and you really feel it burst with speed. Not recommended for people who have motion sickness or height sickness. The room is big, extremely clean. My room was at the 19Th floor, so I had a great view. Beds and pillows are very confortable, The bathroom is also big and elegant, also the cosmetics there are very high quality. A minus that I have to mention is the staff from the parking exit, I mean a lady with no uniforme or behaviour or anything that should remind of a 5star hotel. Anyway she was extremely arguing and disrespectfull and we had to stay like 20 min to convince her that the parking had already been paid.

Room Tip: Choose the upper levels for a great view
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review about your recent stay at the InterContinental Bucharest. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very glad that you had the chance to live the InterContinental experience up from the 19th floor, having an overwhelming panorama of the city. Thank you for offering to recommend us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back, I remain with

My best wishes!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

There are a number of excellent hotels in Bucharest but the Inter Conti has a trump card - a really great location. It is literally a 5 minute walk from the Lipscani old town full of pubs and restaurants. A metro station is 1 minute away and a taxi rank 20 metres from the front door (taxis in Bucharest are the cheapest I have experienced anywhere in Europe). Many business locations are close by. Despite the location my room on the 12th floor was very quiet even though it was quite close to the lifts.
Breakfast was great with a wide variety and all the staff I encountered seemed genuinely friendly and helpful. The spa centre on the top floor is a must visit! Where else could you sit in the jacuzzi and enjoy such a fantastic city view.
It is also a great location for a business meeting / seminar.
The only negative observation is that smoking is still allowed in the bar and lobby. Unfortunately this seems to be the norm in Romania. To visitors from UK and many other countries this is uncomfortable and to be honest way behind the times.
Despite this I can recommend the Bucharest Inter Conti unreservedly.

Room Tip: the higher the room the better the view from the balcony. Lifts are very efficient and quiet
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for your great review. It is great to read that my team made your stay, a nice and memorable experience. It is great that you have managed to spend some time at the 22nd Floor Health Club, indeed the view is spectacular. Thank you for offering to recommend us and our location.

I hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

My best wishes,