“First stay in Bucharest”

InterContinental Bucharest
Ranked #6 of 172 Hotels in Bucharest
New York City, New York
“First stay in Bucharest”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Not only Bucharest is the most pleasant surprise, but the stay at the Intercontinental hotel was the perfect complement. Great service, excellent food, and best of all great rooms. The bed is very comfortable, the bathroom very roomy with great amenities and of course the best breathtaking views of the city. I certainly recommend the Intercontinental and will stay there on my next visit.

Room Tip: A high floor is definitively the best choice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
StefanFBucharest, General Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Pietrony,
many thanks for your review and the very positive comments about your stay at the InterContinental Bucharest. I'm happy to read that you were able to enjoy your time with us and we are already looking forward to welcome you back soon!
Stefan Frank

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
manchester, UK
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Firstly I have to say that I've been delighted on all of my previous stays, and that this hotel still remains one of my favourite Intercontinental's.

However on my last stay in September I noticed that service levels particularly in the Club Lounge were not up to the standard I've come to expect here. A management change? I don't know!

Only one red/white wine available, where previously there was a choice, so because I didn't like the red on offer I was forced to drink beer or spirits. No sparkling wine on any night, they told me they had run-out when I complained. Staff told me the reduced choice was down to cut-backs!

Certain lines of food in Club Lounge ran-out and were not replaced. In the afternoon I had to ask for cakes as they hadn't been put out at the time they should, and I was given a filthy look by the female member of staff that I had approached, who also told me she was busy cleaning glasses! It went on & on in this way all through my stay, curled up dry sandwiches etc, etc.

I then received an email on my return home to say that they had charged me for the item I used from the mini bar and didn't pay for (packet of condoms). Only after several emails and a rather embarrassing explanation saying that I didn't use them & had no use at all for that kind of item during my stay did they finally refund me.

Club Lounge staff seemed new & poorly trained, and appeared to me more interested in talking among themselves than doing the job they were paid to be doing. The worst Club Lounge experience I've ever had in any Intercontinental anywhere in the world!

I plan to return once more in March, but this will be my final visit if things have not improved.

Ambassador gift & upgrade are always a delight to receive

Leisure Club staff are as near to perfect as they can be, a real credit to the hotel.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was plentiful & of a good quality. Noisy children screaming and rolling around on the floor in front of the buffet was a little off putting. I did expect a member of staff to say something to the parents but they never did.

Come on Intercontinental Bucharest, you can do better!

Room Tip: HIgh floor - for better views!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nealmanchester
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear nealmanchester,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for taking the time to share your comments online. We are pleased you were happy to receive your Ambassador benefits at our hotel as well as the service from our leisure club staff and the breakfast. It is great to know that the issues you had with the mini bar was addressed during your stay. My apologies for the inconvenience you had at the Club Lounge. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Athens, Greece
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I am going to Bucharest since 2001 and since then the only hotel i stay is the Intercontinental in N.Balcescu Blvd. Its simply the best , best location , very good club lounge on the 21st floor with great views and one of the best buffets restaurants for lunch or dinner.
I was there last week for two nights and I will keep on going there, I am a fan!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear angelo A,
many thanks for your great feedback about the InterContinental Bucharest. I'm glad to read that you are a fan and this kind of feedback is pure motivation for us to do even better in future. I'm very much looking forward to welcome you back to your No. 1 Hotel in the city.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

First impressions are not good. This is an ugly looking hotel with very dated decor. Oh dear. Four days loomed and I wasn't looking forward to it at all.

Then I met the staff. Welcoming. Helpful. Always available. Very quickly changed my views.

Facts are: decor is tired but in good condition. Hotel is very clean. Breakfast is basic but good. Coffee could be improved slightly. Internet was included in my rate and speeds were good. Gym access also included.

Overall nice hotel. Personally would prefer something more contemporary, but can't complain.

Dear Sitsonthefence,
many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your stay at the InterContinental Bucharest. Great to see that my team has changed your 1st impression and that you like the hotel and our services. Looking forward to welcome you back soon!
Warsaw
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

This is the second time I stay here .... But not as happy as first time . Rooms are ok nice nice furnished and clean . Location of hotel ok close to old town ... But .. Wifi in room does not work really well and when I told reception was asked to use wire connection at room ... But can't really use that for phone etc... Breakfast is really good with nice selection of food , but getting a clean table around 9am almost impossible . Everyday have to ask someone to clear a table sometimes few times .

1 Thank Bart12_Warsaw
Dear Bart12_Warsaw,
many thanks for your review. I'm happy to read that you are happy with the great location of the hotel and the breakfast variety. I have also reviewed the comments in regard to the service in the break fast restaurant and the WiFi. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences this may have caused to you. During your next stay we will certainly be back on track and provide you with the high level of services you can rightfully expect from an InterContinental Hotel anywhere in the world.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.
With best regards
Rome, Italy
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

The hotel offers a wide range of services. Breakfast area is located at ground floor, in one of the "general" restaurant available. Breakfast is good, lunch and dinner a bit less.
Room are comfortable, a bit old style, but every room has a balcony with a great view on the city. Ask for the ones toward downtown.
Prices are ok, a bit high for the locals but generally low for western country's guest.
This is a smoking allowed place, so there's a smoking bar and often you can meet interesting people there (we had the chance to meet the Belgium football team). Internet is a bit expensive, look for a rate including Internet+breakfast.
The hotel is very close to downtown and the old city, where you have to enjoy the Caru Cu Bere restaurant, local, cheap and with traditional dance and excellent food. For the taxi, ask reception (they are very nice). Be aware while walking on the street from girls who offer you massage... they are offering something else.
The hotel has a little but efficient SPA. Massage are quite cheap and there's an indoor little pool and a jacuzzi.
If you have the chance, go to the Club Floor, you may have for a little surplus rate, Internet, breakfast and such a light lunch and dinner option.
Before to arrive in Bucharest, contact the hotel and ask to arrange a taxi service, as coming from the city the taxi is cheaper than the ones resident in the airport.
The hotel is OK, would require some degree of renewal, but I was comfortable enough.
There's also an internal casino, but they require your passport even to have a look (so I preferred to don't go there, as I don't like casino).
TV channels have a good coverage, major languages, prime time movies, etc.
Be aware that hot water will arrive after 4minutes of open shower.

2 Thank gpq
Dear gpq,
many thanks for your positive comments and constructive feedback about your stay at the InterContinental Bucharest. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay. Indeed we have the best location and view in the city. And as we are constantly striving to improve our services we will review the areas where you have not rated 5 stars to provide even better services during your next stay. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
With kind regards
Belfast
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here for a conference, the hotel staff accommodated all our needs and their professionalism and kindness ensured everything went perfectly. The hotel is ideally located to access the Old Town and is just 20 minutes from the airport and the facilities are what you should expect of the Intercontinental brand. Top tip, ask Catalin, the superb and extremely knowledgeable Concierge about the guided tours you will not find in the guide books, we seen and learned so much with him. Thank you Catalin.

1 Thank MFM91
StefanFBucharest, General Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear MartMBelfast,
Many thanks for your nice words of praise about my colleagues and the hotel as such.
You are right, there is a lot to discover in and around this great city and our Head Concierge Catalin together with his team will be more than happy to share even more secrets during your next trip to Bucharest. We are looking forward to have you back as our guest in the very near future.
With best regards