“Everything great, except wifi charges!”

InterContinental Bucharest
Ranked #5 of 170 Hotels in Bucharest
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for a 3 day weekend break in Bucharest, hotel is little dated but in general everything is fine, nice clean rooms with great view of Bucharest. The one down side is that the wifi charges are way too overpriced (16 EUR for 24h) I would expect to have free wifi in a 5 star hotel. Every cafe in Bucharest offers free wifi when you buy a coffee so why can't a 5 star hotel do the same and include it with the room price! I probably would stay at this hotel again but they seriously need to provide free wifi!

• Stayed: October 2012
StefanFBucharest, General Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Gent786,
thank you very much for your feedback and the positive comments about the hotel. We are presently reviewing our strategy for WiFi usage in the hotel and your comment will also be considered.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to the InterContinental Bucharest in future.
With best regards
Stefan Frank

Write a ReviewReviews (1,418)

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Spent one night here recently. Great hotel - great service and very comfortable bed. Only complaint was absence of drawers or shelves in room. The location is excellent - very central and close to restaurants etc. Pretty expensive though.

1  Thank Beahive
mariuscostescu, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Beahive,
I would like to thank you for your comments in regards to your last stay with us. I am very happy to see that our hotel lived up to your expectations and you find it great. We are very proud of our unique position right in the heart of the city and the panoramic views over the city.
Once again I would like to thank you for your comments and I look forward in welcoming you back to InterContinental Bucharest.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here for work and this hotel lived up to my criteria of cleanliness, comfort and quiet.
The room was very clean as was the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the room was quite though I did hear some street noise (sirens) at night.

The staff was helpful and pleasant.

The fitness center was small but basically adequate, 3 treadmills, 2 bikes, 1 elliptical, free weights and small number of weight machines. There was also a pool. The exercise equipment was somewhat old and lacked the built in TVs that I have generally found at other InterContinental hotels.

The room TV was the good old CRT tube type and it worked fine. There were a reasonable number of channels with several languages and at least 2 English news options.

The water pressure in the shower was probably the strongest I have encountered anywhere. No water saving restricted shower head. The bathtub is up a bit high, and while not uncommon in Europe if you have challenges with a big step up this would be an issue.

I had one dinner at the Corso Brasserie and it was quite nice.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful and had many options from cereals, custom made eggs, fruit, yogurt, meats, etc. You can definitely make a hearty meal from what is option. Soy milk was also provided.

Dear robert-not-home,
I would like to thank you for your feedback. I am happy to see that our hotel lived up to your criteria of cleanliness, comfort and quiet and you appreciate our grate Corso Brasserie. Although the Fitness Centre is not so big, we are proud of it due the fact that is fully equipped, has a good size pool and great view over the city.
Once again I would like to thank you for your comments and I hope we will have the chance to welcoming you back soon to InterContinental Bucharest.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Since I have Platinum Ambassador status with IHG, I stayed here for a night, for an extra day in Bucharest prior to a 7-night tour of Romania which began with a night at the Novotel, 3 blocks away. Let me say straight out that the room here was more comfortable than the Novotel's, far roomier, offers better views, and, unlike the Novotel, is directly in front of a metro stop. Due to my status, I was upgraded to a junior suite on the 19th floor, but the room would have been nicer and roomier even if I had only the bedroom half of the suite.
My room had a king bed, a living room, and two bathrooms: one with a Jacuzzi brand whirlpool bath, and the other with a shower. The welcome gifts were three large fruit, two water bottles, and a bottle of red Romanian wine. The balconies offered nice, sweeping views of the city. The staff were very polite and helpful, although they could not change a 50 Lei bill, which I thought was bizarre for a 5* hotel.
The furnishings were all clean and comfortable, although I found the 80s television set again a bit bizarre for a 5* hotel. The breakfast which was included in my rate was copious and varied. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the old town, the former royal palace (current art museum), and the athenaeum.
My main complaint was the noise level. There was a loud party going on in the mezzanine (it was a Saturday), and I could hear it all the way up the elevator, only dissipating slowly as I reached the 19th floor. I could even hear it in my suite, after 11 PM. I had to wear earplugs because of this and for outside noise. I imagine that the noise must have been quite thunderous from the 10th floor down. I would think that until this hotel upgrades its insulation (it's an older hotel), they need to cut out noisy parties after 10 PM for the sake of the guests.
That being said, I would definitely come back here if I came back to Bucharest. Not only was the room more comfortable than the cramped Novotel, but the rate was actually better! I hope they update their TVs, insulation, and the ability to provide guests with change, though!

Room Tip: Get as high a floor as possible. Some rooms have views of the parliament palace.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear lebelgo,

I would like to thank you for being a Platinum Ambassador Member and for taking the time to write such a comprehensive feedback. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the up-grade to the Junior Suite and the room itself with its features and grate view over the city.
The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations, like the noise on the upper floors, can be avoided in the future.

Once again I would like to thank you for your comments and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to InterContinental Bucharest,

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My comment, 'fine as "frog fur!"' is my ham-handed way of saying I personally found the InterContinental Bucharest to be an excellent place to hang my hat (a Tilley hat, no less!)! For our one-night stay prior to departing Bucharest and boarding Vantage Deluxe Travel's brand spanking new 'M/S River Discovery II' for our "Eastern Europe & the Black Sea" cruise up the Danube, the hotel was an oasis for us, albeit only for a short one-night stay..

Following our overnight flight on Lufthansa from Charlotte, via Munich, on arrival we were met at the airport and taken to the hotel. Both of us were pleased by everything we saw, and quickly settled in, and then decided to do a walk-around of the city to find a place for lunch and see what was in the vicinity of the hotel. Its location right smack in the middle of this huge metropolis provided us with the combined sights and sounds of this very vibrant capital of Romania.

Afterwards, we walked back and freshened up and gathered with other passengers at the hotel for a Welcome Briefing and Dinner. (We were late ... I forgot Bucharest is an hour ahead of Munich!) The dinner was scrumptious!

Our room was well appointed and spacious. Though the view was to the east, the view from the balcony was awesome. The bathroom was scrupulously clean and the towels were plush.

The internet WI-if connection was exceptional ... my netbook was easily able to sync and stay connected, and bandwidth was by far better than expected.

Suffice it to say, we both slept like the proverbial logs! I can't say enough about the beds ... after a nine hour flight to Europe, plus flying Munich to Bucharest, and an afternoon walking and exploring the city, the beds were soft and the pillows were plush and almost like home. And, next morning, the breakfast (buffet) was delicious and far superior to what's served in most places we have stayed in Europe.

I realize that often hotels which accept large travel groups sometimes aren't top of the line. However, I personally feel from only staying here for a single night, the InterContinental Bucharest hotel is the exception to the norm. It would appear that more than one group travel company has selected it ... and rightly so. InterContinental Bucharest is well worth the cost and I for one would ... no, make that 'will' ... look forward to staying there again if ... no, make that 'when' ...I am able to revisit the "little Paris of the East!"

Jim

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Mrs Daria V,
thank you very much for your comments and for the detailed feedback. I would like to apologise for the inconveniences during your most recent stay. Please rest assured that we are taking your input very seriously. The issues have been addressed internally and as a team we will do our utmost to avoid similar situations in the future.
Best Regards
Stefan Frank

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I flew in to Bucharest to see Ozzy Osbourne in concert. It was my first stay at Intercontinental in Bucuresti. I instantly fell in love with it, great room, love having a nice view and a balcony. For dinner the first night I was tired and choose to eat in the hotels restaurant. What a great service and food! It was a calm large room where I could relax and enjoy. I could really sense the history in the walls of this hotel.

The next night some friends of me also going to Ozzy had arrived. I told them how much I enjoyed the restaurant in the hotel. So off we went, and they loved it as much as me.

Front desk was superior, when I asked if they could book me a taxi very early the next morning, they offered me a limo at the same price as a taxi!

Got to love this place, no question where I will stay next time in Bucharest.

Room Tip: I loved staying on 19th floor because of the amazing view, if you are scared of hight, you might enj...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
mariuscostescu, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear IntPhotog,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with InterContinental Bucharest. It is truly rewarding when a guest use such a powerful statement about a hotel and its services , a statement that points out the IHG vision in regards to our guests ”Great Hotels Guests Love” .
Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and I look forward in welcoming you back to InterContinental Bucharest.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights on business and really enjoyed my stay, I followed what quite a few others did and got a club room which included breakfast, internet and club level which was less than paying for internet and breakfast separately.

Yes the hotel is a little outdated but great location and very good service, everyone was very helpful smooth service all the way through and the staff wanted to help...which does not seem to be the norm these days.

I used the pool and gym and was almost always the only one but had breakfast downstairs for the larger choice rather than the club floor.

Dear MarkMonkey,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with InterContinental Bucharest. I appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay. I am very happy to see that our staff and the hotel facilities lived up to your expectations. Your comments will be shared with all our staff to continue their efforts to make InterContinental Bucharest a leader in excellence.
Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and I look forward in welcoming you back to our hotel.