“Beautiful Hotel, Comfortable Stay”

Grand Hotel Continental
Ranked #13 of 169 Hotels in Bucharest
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel which is located right in the center of Bucharest steps from the old town.

Check out and check in were smooth and efficient. The hotel will charge your credit card with 50 euros on check in which is refunded immediately if you don't have any additional charges.

The interior is quite formal looking - 19th century french done in grey and white. However, the service and atmosphere is not stuffy. We stayed one night on our arrival in Bucharest in a smallish twin bedded room and a further two nights at the end of our trip in a larger twin bedded room.

Our rooms were on the first floor but were incredibly quiet. Our larger room looked out over a lovely courtyard. The beds were very comfortable with clean, crisp white duvets. The decor in the room continues the 19th century french feel in shades of cream and white - very beautiful.

The rooms have excellent amenities including Carven toiletries, robes, slippers etc.

We had room service one night which was prompt, well presented and reasonably priced.

The bathrooms are a little schizophrenic. The shower and sink are very modern and then paired with an ornate gilt mirror. The sink looks interesting but is not very functional. It is essentially a big box with some small holes in the middle for a drain. It takes up a lot of space and if you ran the water full tilt there is a risk that the water would run onto the floor. There is no real space to put your toiletries by the sink due to the odd shape of the sink. Furthermore, the shower tended to leak onto the floor if you left the shower head on the wall mount.

The breakfast is served downstairs in what looks like a converted wine cellar with modern furniture. There is a wide selection of breakfast foods including lots of fresh fruit, meat, cheese, yogurt and baked goods. There is an omlette station as well. The food was excellent as was the cappuccino and espresso that is served.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Laurski
ContinentalHotelsRO, General Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Grand Hotel Continental Bucharest.
We are really impressed by your comments, so detailed and accurate, your description makes us great pleasure.

The Grand Hotel Continental has been established in 1886, and during the centuries, it was recognized as one of the most famous hotels and restaurants in Bucharest, and in order to continue this tradition all of our efforts are made to provide our guests a perfect service and atmosphere, to meet their expectations.
I have shared your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts with all the members of my team.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Please receive our warm regards,

Sanda Almasan,
General Manager, Grand Hotel Continental Bucharest

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Continental

Reviewed April 11, 2014

I had the pleasure to stay in this excellent hotel. The room was better than excellent, very comfortable. The wifi connection was very satisfying. The staff was very friendly, hospitable and pleasant. Their response was immediate to what ever i asked. The best place to stay in Bucharest. The location was also excellent. Only five minutes walking from the old town. Very close to all the important sights.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Maria H
ContinentalHotelsRO, General Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind words following your accommodation in Grand Hotel Continental Bucharest.

I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the service we provided. I have passed your kind comments to the team who are very grateful .

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Sanda ALMĂȘAN
General Manager, Grand Hotel Continental Bucharest

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying here on a business trip. My stay was thoroughly enjoyable. The Hotel has excellent accommodation, spacious, clean and well appointed.

Sadly, I did not have the opportunity to use the restaurant, however, I did use the room service, which was of a high standard. The food was well cooked, excellently presented and delivered quickly.

Hotel staff are very polite, and helpful. The location is central an convenient.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jimbo7268
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is a decent option in central Bucharest. The reception staff are very courteous and speak fluent English. The room was well furnished. But I encountered problems as I would describe as typical of Romania. The shower head was not secured tightly and consequently it would fall all the way down. You had to hold it by hand. If this was the only problem I would have asked for another room. But the shower/tub was one of those trendy designs with a glass partition that covers only part of the tub. This one managed to spill water out on the bathroom floor continually so that by the time I was done, the floor was just drenched. Even if I had complained what can they do about a basic design defect to their rooms.

The breakfast was in the cellar. I would have preferred a room with an outside view but this country seems to love to use cellars like this. The lobby looks very grand as it does in all their pics.

The location is quite central and I could walk pretty much everywhere, including the Old Town and the museums.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Zoglets
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I are currently spending 3 months in Rome, where we are enjoying the Italian lifestyle. We use Rome as our base and we have been taking weekend trips in Italy as well as Southern Europe. Totally on a whim we decided to spend 3 days in Bucharest and the result was that we enjoyed every minute that we were there. I blindly picked the Grand Hotel Continental basically because it had 5 stars as well as some very good review online.

The Grand Hotel Continental is a true 5 Star facility. We opted for a suite and stayed in room #104 which was a suite that was very large, comfortable and filled with beautiful antiques. The suite also has some historical significance that was fun and interesting to learn about with the help of a brochure that was left there. Our bed was comfortable and the linens and towels were what one should expect from any top resort or 5 star hotel. This hotel is the perfect hotel for anyone looking for a quiet upscale place within walking distance to all of the hot spots, restaurants and bars as well as the venue for classical music. We loved everything about this hotel. Our room, the breakfast, the friendly and helpful staff, the furnishings as well as its perfect location. If we ever return to Bucharest, the Grand Hotel Continental would be the only place that we would consider making our home.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have nothing to criticise the hotel about. Location ideal, hotel palace-like, service excellent. I enjoyed both my stays in March and October 2013 and if I was to go to Bucharest again I will choose Grand Hotel Continental.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The hotel exceeded my expectations. The hotel has great old world charm and décor with all the modern amenities. Breakfast was included in my rate and it was spectacular. I can't say enough good things about the staff - they were extremely helpful.
Great location.
I had a massage and the spa in the hotel which was great.
I look forward to going back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple