“Great stay at the Hilton Bucharest”

Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest
Ranked #10 of 166 Hotels in Bucharest
“Great stay at the Hilton Bucharest”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Visited Bucacharest on the last leg of our Romania trip. Hotel is clean, great service, we had breakfast included which was amazing, the food was excellent the variety huge, We could have spent the whole day in the dining room just on the breakfast buffet if the buffet wasn't closed prompltly at ten , which means you need to get to breakfast before (9:00 -9:30)/ Hotel is in the middle of town central to historical sights, restuarants, pubs in the old city.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book that your booking includes internet , apparently not all guests are entitled...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharon L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This is a wonderful hotel in a great location. Old Town just a few blocks away. The service was 1st class and the staff was extremely accommodating. They spend a lot of time on attention to detail and provide a personal touch to your stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Athénée Palace Hilton and for taking the time to write this valuable review.
It is always comforting for us to read such kind words and we are glad that you found our location convenient to all your needs. We take great pride in our staff who is working hard to make the guests feel like home, therefore we are happy that our mission was accomplished and your expectations were fulfilled.

We are looking forward to welcome you again soon.

Kind Regards,
Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Where to begin....I'll start with what I liked. Good location downtown. The hotel lobby was quite beautiful, gave me a good first impression as it was my trip to Europe. "The English Bar" in the hotel was my favourite spot to grab a drink with an impressive scotch collection, and the staff was super friendly (both named Daniella if my memory serves me today). The Italian restaurant downstairs was also very good, but thats where it ended. The service in the other restaurant in the lobby whose name I have blocked out of my memory was absolutely terrible.

I was going to make the initial reservation online on a discount hotel website, since it included free wifi in the room. I decided I'd call Hilton Reservations directly to see if they'd match the price and service. I called and they eventually did match the price for my Jr. Suite. The agent on the phone was hard to understand, but I thought I had wifi included in the room too. When I checked in, I did not. I had to buy it separately. The front desk was no help as they said the reservation had no mention of it, so they couldn't do anything. I couldn't even call Hilton Reservations from the room in my Hilton hotel without international long distance charges applying! Plus it was my first trip to europe and the phone system was much different than I am used to! I decided this was to be a learning experience.

The room was disappointing, itrs the smallest Jr. Suite I have ever seen, it was a little dated. I stayed on the 5th floor with access to the lounge, so that was a perk, but not worth half the money I paid for the 8 days.

I only ate at the various hotel restaurants at the beginning (I wasn't feeling very adventurous after my shaky start), and on day 3, I became quite ill and spent the next 2 days between the bed and the bathroom. Some drugstore medication later, I managed to make it outside again, but that put a real damper on the trip. To this day, I blame the food at the restaurant downstairs with the terrible service for my sickness.

Of course, I would have left after day 1, but the reservation center charged me in full upon check in since they gave me a "special" price.

So I am returning to Bucharest next week, and want to guess where I won't be staying? :)

Good luck, I will avoid at all cost! As I just did when I booked another hotel last week!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Fred J
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from last summer. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the service in English Bar and in Roberto’s. Also I am pleased to hear that the staff you met was super friendly.

With regards to internet I am sorry to hear that we could not meet your expectation of free internet in the room. It is correct that internet is free of charge in all public areas but also in the guest rooms for HHonors Gold and Diamond members. Never the less I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please rest assured that we will have your comments in mind next time we review our internet pricing.

Furthermore I am sorry to notice that the room design did not quite work for you, our rooms are not all the same in structure and size. In case you decide to return to Hilton, we are more than happy to show you some alternative rooms to choose from, on arrival.

I am also unhappy to read that you didn’t feel well during your visit to Bucharest. We have looked through all our files and were not able to find any information or report on illness neither from you nor from any other guests or members of our team during August 2013. I would like to assure you that we have a very strict food safety and control in place which exceeds the national requirements in most countries. Still, this does not change the fact that your first impression of Europe/Bucharest has left you with a bitter taste and I apologize for not anticipating your needs sufficiently during your stay with us.

I wish you a great stay at the hotel you chose for your trip to Bucharest next week. Should you decide to book our hotel again, I would be happy to make the necessary arrangements to ensure you have the best possible experience at the Athenee Palace Hilton.

Jan Thomsen,
Cortland, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I stay at Hilton properties a lot, and this one fully meets the standard. In fact, the fitness center/pool/sauna is above-average for a hotel of this size and price, and the restaurants are good quality and affordable compared to the equivalent in a western European hotel. My room was very presentable, with relatively new furnishings; clean and well-appointed. Big, comfortable bed.

The hotel staff is well-trained and courteous. Any request I made was met with a can-do attitude; the concierge offered good advice on sightseeing.

As the name suggests, this Hilton is across the road from the former royal palace, and a reasonable walk from the (slightly shabby but improving) old city, which is full of shops and cafes. There is also a large shopping center adjacent to the old city, though the US traveller may find it slightly claustrophobic--too many shops crammed in to the available floorspace. There are many familiar brands, including fast-food joints KFC and McDonald's (the latter has a small play area for kids).

Taxis in Bucharest: there is a centralized system for summoning taxis--avoid taxi drivers who approach you in the airport or elsewhere. At the airport (to the right as you exit the arrivals hall) there are electronic machines for booking a taxi, and any hotel concierge can do the same for you. Choose "Meridian" or "Speedtaxi" (avoid the others), and then look for the cab that has the number on the side that is shown on the taxi booking form printed out by the machine. A taxi from the airport to the city will usually cost less than 30 lei (the local currency). Make sure they use the meter. You will want to get some cash at the airport, but not too much--the rates at banks in town are slightly better. For that matter, you can change smaller sums at the Hilton front desk. Spend the Romanian lei you have before departure, or leave it as tips -- you will get ripped off trying to exchange it in other countries.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Athénée Palace Hilton and for writing this valuable review.
It was a great pleasure to read a review from a recurrent Hilton guest. I am thrilled that your expectations were met and you experienced no inconveniences. Moreover, I am glad that our hotel amenities were suited to your taste and that you enjoyed your time here.

We are looking forward to welcome you again whenever your travel brings you back to Bucharest!

Kind Regards,
Doha
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Located centrally with groceries and restaurants nearby. The Romanian Athenaeum is just in front of the hotel. Its easy to get a cab from this area. Security is visible inside and outside the building. Elevators are accessible with your room key card. Front office staff were very friendly and helpful. I left my wallet inside a cab which I took to the hotel, and I was grateful that they helped me bring it back. Breakfast was excellent with a variety of options. If you want to party in the evening there's a bar inside the hotel. The rooms were clean though a bit outdated. This is expected since the hotel is considered a historic building in Bucharest. I enjoyed my stay and would come back the next time around.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank royrocks
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Has a great position, close to the central parts of Bucharest for all your tourist needs. The hotel is very well run and the service is excellent. The rooms are also very spacious, light and airy.

The things that let it down are bathrooms in serious need of updating and a proper shower. Pillows that are the size of cushions and as hard as bricks. My wife also maintains that along with many hotels, this one must have been designed by a man. There are mirrors in the room, dressing table/desk and electrical sockets. However, none are arranged together, so my wife was unable to fix her hair with tongs and apply her make-up in a seated position!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Athénée Palace Hilton and for writing this valuable review!
We are glad to hear that your overall experience was satisfactory and that you appreciated the excellence of our service. We kindly apologize for any inconveniences that your wife encountered and rest assured that your feedback regarding the room facilities had been taken into consideration for further improvements.

We will be happy to welcome you again whenever your travel brings you back to Bucharest.

Tulln, Austria
Reviewed July 14, 2014

entering the lobby to find an exclusive but welcome atmospere,. outstanding hospitality, staff is treating guests very personally feelin like comin home, high level accomodation, breakfast meets all expectations, the evening-bar serves a representative variety on drinks. Wellness area is more than to expect. probably the best hotel in town, absolutely recommandable

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Peter H
Dear Guest,

What a pleasure for us to read such a positive review regarding Athénée Palace Hilton! Thank you for your kind words; it is really reassuring to see that we are doing our job in a proper manner, to provide our guests high quality services and to feel like they have arrived at a second home.
We are glad that your staying with us was more than you would have expected and we are looking forward to welcome you again soon.