“I want to live here (but only if there's wi-fi)”

Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest
Ranked #10 of 169 Hotels in Bucharest
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed for two nights the first weekend in February. I had a room only deal with a "secret hotel" booking, so I did not try the breakfast. That was OK but, had I realised that it would cost me €15 for 24 hours' wi-fi, on only two devices, I would have stayed elsewhere. I am actually glad that I didn't as I came to love this hotel. It has a rather dated feel and, whilst the room was spacious, I was disappointed with the less than luxurious bathroom and the dreary bedroom furniture. That being said, the bed was vast and comfortable. The lighting was good and the room had all the amenities I expect with the bonus feature of a fabulous view looking out on to Revolution Square. The room became quite hot at night but, on the second evening, staff unlocked my snow covered balcony door so I could breathe fresh air (although I had to sign a disclaimer). (Opening the windows demonstrated how effective the sound proofed double glazing is as there is a main road just outside). I loved the rather small swimming pool, which was surprisingly deep, as had it to myself. The gym and the pool are open from early morning to late evening which is good for avoiding the crowds. The Café Athenee and the English Bar were both relaxing places to sit, eat and drink. The former overlooks numerous city landmarks and the latter was just like being in a cosy English pub. This is a vast, old fashioned hotel and, at times I felt I was in an Agatha Christie story. Its location is perfect for sightseeing and it provides an airport shuttle service. My journey from the airport with the charming and interesting Florin was a great way to start this trip. All the hotel staff were friendly and helpful and they spoke excellent English, for which I was most grateful. The concierge was particularly warm and personable. As a lone traveller in an unfamiliar place, this high level of customer service was appreciated. If the hotel manager should ever wish to rent out a middle aged English woman as an eccentric in residence, I would love to be considered for the part (although I'm not sure I can live without free wi-fi). Thanks for a lovely stay. I hope to return some day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank ElectraCooter

Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

We went to Bucharest for a short visit. We chose the Athenee hilton for the good balance between price and services offered. The room
Is comfortable and the staff very helpful and polite. Breakfast is good and a multiple variety of food is offered

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Danielabidu
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review on Athene Palace Hilton and for staying with us. We really appreciate your positive feedback that will be shared with our entire team. We assure you that we will continue our efforts to maintain the services at the highest level to offer you another memorable experience during your next stay.

We are looking forward to have you as our guest again!

Kind regards,
Jan Thomsen

Reviewed February 3, 2014

The hotel is really good! grate location in the hurt of bucharest! good food,good service. warmll recomended.we stayed for 5 nights, the room that we got was nice, facing all the importants monuments.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank ayalo
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is a great location with lots to do within walking distance. The hotel is clean, beautiful, with great helpful staff. This would be great for a family stay or a business trip. Number one in my book.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Larry N
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Tripadvisor. It’s always rewarding to learn we’re in top of our guests’ choices, since we take great pride in offering the highest level of services. I’m truly hoping to welcome you back in the future!

Kind regards,
Jan Thomsen

Reviewed January 31, 2014

It was a pleasure for me to stay at your hotel for 3 nights this winter. We had a great time in Athenee Palace, which is a very very good placed hotel in the capital of Romania. My room was spacious and we had a very nice view, the National Art Museum and the Atheneum!

Room Tip: 540 was a very nice room! Choose it!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank CCTimisoara
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Hilton Athenee is centrally located and has very helpful and courteous staff. The hotel is extrememly clean and rooms are spacious. It was a good experience. Restaurants and shopping are nearby with a ten minute walk to the old city.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Been here a couple of times now and I always tell myself this is one of the best hotels I've known so far...
Everything is quality, the rooms are spacious and very comfy, the staff is amazingly friendly and helpful, the facilities are great, the food is really good as well, and the location is very central, 5$ trip to the historical center with nice bars and restaurants. I mainly come for business trips, but i would come back here even for personal trips,no need to search for a better place.
Makes you feel at home, with the class of a great hotel.

Stayed: January 2014