“Reservation cancelled - had to go to Ibis at 2 a.m.”

JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 167 Hotels in Bucharest
Warsaw, Poland
“Reservation cancelled - had to go to Ibis at 2 a.m.”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was to stay here for 3 nights for a regional company event. I was arriving a day early and asked my assistant to specifically double confirm that my resrvation will be 1 day earlier than the rest of our large group. She confirmed, the hotel claimed they were expecting a 2nd confirmation on the day which she didn't do because she wasn't aware of it. Arrived in Bucharest on a 1a.m. Arrival flight. No driver waiting at the airport was first sign of trouble. Took taxi to hotel and they had no record of the reservation and no available rooms :-(. Ended up at the Ibis down the road for the first night and it was 2.30 a.m. At least the Ibis had free wifi. On day 2 all hell broke loose - was given room upgrade apologies, etc.

Hotel itself is very regal and luxurious. The building is a huge Ceausescu built government ministry overlooking the People's Palace and Defence Ministry that has been given a total overhaul. To get to the old town where all the night life is (Lipscani) you need to take a cab so if you want to party and crawl back drunk to your bed this will not be a great choice especially since you will almost certainly get ripped off by a Dacia Logan driving local cabbie who on hearing the word Marriott will immediately see you as a euro stuffed wallet that will feed his family fir the next month.

Otherwise a typical international Marriott so a lot of glitz, chintz and "Opulence, I has it" kind of place with only the lap giraffes missing and Bucharest is a great, fun and vibrant city so enjoy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PoleApart1
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please let me first take this opportunity to thank you for choosing JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel and for taking the time to share with us your experience. Your comments greatly assist us in our efforts to improve the quality of service we provide to our guests.

Please kindly accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort you have experienced during your stay at our hotel. I would like to assure you that all our Front Desk associates are continually trained to constantly demonstrate hospitality and professionalism in all aspects of guest interactions at front desk.

I kindly ask you to provide us more details(date, reservation number etc.) in order to be able to start an investigation about your reservation in our hotel .

Please allow me to assure you of my full support by offering you any help or assistance with all the details you might need and I am looking forward to welcome you back at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel.

Sincerely yours

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baden
Reviewed June 19, 2013

A very nice hotel just around the corner of the second biggest building in the world. I was there two times now and can really recommend this hotel. Sure, it's not a low price hotel but I was on business travel and enjoyed everything there. You can take a taxi or walk a little bit to the old city center. Short before Christmas you aill have a nice Xmas market just opposite the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ploiesti, Romania
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I am Romanian and I it is not the first time in this hotel. My feeling is that the quality of the staff became lower and lower. More , as member of Marriot Exclusive they should take care of me in a different way...but this is not happening. I think something is wrong with the HR in overall Marriott ( see my previous review for Marriott Disneyland ). Bref , bad front-office at check in and the worst service for breakfast ever! No food on plates ( a lady was adding 2-3 pieces of salami every 10-15 minutes :)))) , I have asked kindly for a cofee ( don't forget I am Romanian ) and I just could not get it! All the staff was looking tired and they really don't care! The overall quality of the food was horrible! And this is suppose to be a 5 star hotel!

Room Tip: The spa is excellent!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please let me take this opportunity to thank you for choosing JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel and for taking the time to share with us your experience.

I have looked into your commnents from your survey and I would like to apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. Please be sure that we are constantly gathering feedback in order to improve the quality of our services.

Regarding your staff and breakfast experience please accept my sincere apologies for the unpleasant situation and please be sure that your input is a great help for us so that we are able to find and correct the weaknesses of our service. Please be sure that I informed our management about the situation and we made the necessary corrections accordingly.

Your comfort is our highest mission and we are doing everything to continue our high level of service. I am looking forward in welcoming you back to JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel.

Sincerely yours
Mumbai
Reviewed June 13, 2013

People warned me about the hotels in Bucharest but could be excused as they hadn't stayed at the JW Marriot.
The Hotel is as good if not better than any of The Marriots anywhere in the world. The steakhouse on the 1st floor is just divine and the best restaurant we went to food wise in Bucharest.

The Arabic food restaurant on the ground floor on the other hand has very average food and is not even a part of the chain but a stand alone. so beware.

There are high end designer stores on the ground floor and the basement has a casino and health center. I had a massage there it was top notch.

The Hotel is further located at the heart of the city.

Check in and check outs were prompt and if you want to party the concierge is quite with it and can make you some nice recommendations on where to go.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this nice review and for the nice comments which you provided!

I have shared your remarks with my team and I am very glad that we have met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Looking forward to seeing you back with us again soon,

Best regards!
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The travel books said one of the best 5 star hotels ...and they weren't kidding.

As a loyal marriott customer, I have to say this is one of the best, if not the best, marriott s I have ever stayed at.
The staff was exceptional.. Anything you need they take care of.
The executive lounge has an amazing spread in for breakfast and their version of "snacks" was my dinner one night bc I was to tired to leave the hotel.
Free happy hour until 930

Quick walk from many sights in Bucharest (which was even easy for my mother who has to walk with a cane)

Would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: High floors have better views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I are currently in this hotel we have been here for 4 nights with 2 nights remaining. Room on 8th floor spacious with views of the parliament building ( very impressive building).

Exec lounge serves good food (5.30 - 7.30) and drinks (alcohol between 5.30 - 9.30). One of the best I' ve been in. Staff in the lounge are great, professional and friendly

Hotel lobby, you can sit all day and people watch. Very busy very plush.

Gym / pool is very busy at times, but it is nice to have an atmosphere, as some hotel pools are quiet.

Hotel staff are wonderful and helpful, you only need to ask..

The only down side is the limited hot breakfast in the lounge (scrambled eggs and a few sausage and bacon). But the cold food is good.

It's a 25 min walk to the old town. In the dry summer it's pleasant as it is a walk around the parliament building. And a taxi ride is only 5 lei. (£1) each way.

Get a high floor, room facing the parliament building.

Overall I would recommend a visit to the hotel, one of the best we have been to with a great lounge.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking the time and sharing your comments with us so I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel!

Moreover, your commnents related to the breakfast will help us improving the quality of products and services that we offer to our guests so they are more than welcome and they were sent to the respective department.

We hope to have you again as a guest at our hotel and we would like to mention again that we appreciate your nice feedback!

All the best,
Saint-Etienne, France
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Their gym has old equipment and is often crowded with external clients, especially at 07:00 a.m. I saw two hotel guests returning to their rooms because all treadmills were occupied. Rooms are modern with comfortable beds and a large bathroom. They have two restaurants on the first foor (one with Italian cuisine and the other international) offering good quality food. Staff in general are friendly and efficient. Whether on business or vacation, this is one of the best options in town.

Room Tip: Executive Grand Rooms (ending in 40, 42 and 44) and Grand Rooms (ending in 34, 36 and 38) are the be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the nice review and for your generous comments and please be sure that we are delighted we met your requirements and you enjoyed your stay with us.

Nevertheless we are sorry to hear about the inconveniences related to the Gym and considering this aspect we have forwarded the aspects raised by you to the management of World Class Academy in order not to have such problems in the future.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in Bucharest!

Best regards