“Stay away”

Ranked #5 of 167 Hotels in Bucharest
Hampshire
“Stay away”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I arrived at this hotel on Jan 1st, hotel staff friendly the Champions Restaurant was closed, so we went to JW Steakhouse inside the hotel, after sitting for 20-25 minutes we was about to order when the waitress said we've only got two items on the menu available, so we all moved to the Italian to be told we are full sorry, we asked could we sit in the lounge and have something ? That's fine went to order got told sorry you now can't eat here only in the restaurant, but there is room service, I ordered from the room burger and chips, sorry sir only mini burgers ok I'll have a club sandwich, after half an hour my meal came the chips were stone cold and the sandwich had the most smallest piece of turkey i have ever seen, nice hotel but avoid the food especially room service

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank fulhamfcboys
Igael_Porecki, Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Please let me take this opportunity to thank you for choosing JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel and for taking the time to inform us about your experience !

Your feedback greatly assists us in our efforts to improve the quality of services provided to our guests and enhances our ability to recognize areas in our organization, which are working well and areas in which we can improve.

Regarding your experience in our Food & Beverage outlets, I have looked into all aspects of your raised issue; I am mostly sorry to hear that your evening was not according to your expectations. During your stay our outlets were opened as for our specific winter holidays schedule and our Food & Beverage Team was responsible to advice and guide our guests in order to enjoy the food, service and facilities for which JW Marriott is well known throughout the world. Nevertheless it seems that we failed to offer you this on your stay.

I would like to assure you that this was an isolated incident; we have shared your feedback with our teams and our Executive Chef and we will reinforce again all our standards in order to minimize the possibility for this to happen again.

Once again thank you for your comments and I am looking forward to welcome you again at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel!

Director of Food and Beverage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Purton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel has a very friendly atmosphere, great choice of restuarants and food.
The gym is very nice. Great view from bedrooms, free wifi (fast connection).

Bedrooms are very comfortable, and well sound proofed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Turda
Reviewed December 26, 2012

In spite of my desperate effort to find something to dislike in the hotel,I must give up.
It s perfect.
The prices in the Steak House restaurant were amazingly low (a JW cheesecake,one of the best sweets in the world is just about 6 euros).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Popescu C
Rehovot, Israel
Reviewed December 20, 2012

JW Marriott's architecture is typical of the communist era and it fits into the surrounding abominable Parliament House. Besides this the experience is well-worth. Found the hotel through an ebookers flight + hotel package since we wanted to put up in the neighborhood. The package did not include breakfast but we were offered at check-in a generous stay on the executive floor with access to the lounge which enabled us to take there most of our meals at a resonable price in comfortable environment. The hotel is up to its 5-star rating as far as services and space are concerned. We didn't have the time to visit the casino, gym or swimming pool but we enjoyed a quiet, almost spoiling experience. We stayed in December which isn't a nice month in Bucharest. Could be that the above mentioned deal is an off season offer, but this doesnt affect our overall satisfaction.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Zurich71
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed December 13, 2012

First time to Romania and first time stayed at this hotel. When I arrived at the airport there was no chauffeur driven pick up waiting for me, staff had lost my request. However, a very polite receptionist quickly scrambled a driver who was with me in 30 minutes as promised and I was not charge for the ride. Reception staffs were helpful, hotel is very large and the location is ideal for me and is situated near the Ministry of Defence in down town. Negative points I recall were: the mattress was too hard, the towels were not as soft as you would expect them to be and the windows of bedroom were very dirty. Restaurants food was what one would expect from a Marriott hotel and breakfast buffet was plentiful. If I go again to Bucharest I would be reluctant to stay in this hotel as there plenty others to choose from.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time allocateed to reviews out hotel and I am sorry to read about your inconvenience with the Concierge arrangement.

I would kindly appreciate if you could offer me more information as I will try to investigate the issue with the Front Office Manager.
Your feedback is always welcome and I hope to welcome you back at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel.

Kind regards.
Cologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed December 5, 2012

offcourse the name says it all, the hotel level is very high, the room equipt with douche and bath
very clean the maintained well and the most important the price is very good.
as guest of the hotel I could use the swimming pool that located in the GYM on -1,
the location is not good, beside that perfect

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I spent 5 nights at the JW Marriott for business, and it was a great experience. The lobby is very impressive and rich (marble stairs, Christmas trees, large chandeliers, Louis Vuitton store). The building was started by a neighboring ministry in the lated 80ies, and was then taken over by the US hotel chain. It is not a standard Marriott as it belongs to the JW chain, the very upper end segment. The size and richness of the hotel comes from there.
I had a very interesting corporate rate including buffet breakfast for a 5-star hotel. The rooms are very large and comfortable, the bed is amazing...I liked the Champions restaurant, whose theme is based on US sport type of dinner (very good salads for light lunches). The breakfast is a buffet and is very very good (cook making pancakes,eggs, etc). I also used the large swimming pool and hot tub, which are located next to their fitness center in the -1. There is also a Casino in the hotel. Taxis are waiting in line at any time in the front alley, so it is easy to go anywhere (dinner, etc). The hotel is located close to the huge Parliament building. The area is not so interesting, but it is really 5 min by taxi from the old-town (it costs around 2 euros). For me, it was not a problem as the quality of the hotel is great. On top, the other big hotels are in a part of downtown that is quite busy and not that nice from my point of view.
One little thing they can improve is the cost of internet. I had coupons, but some colleagues had to pay 20 Euros per day. That said, our rate was so interesting that it was not a big deal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business