All reviews ping pong i stayed in a private room person dorm old town air con location is great cleaning staff would definitely stay here again jenga city atm cleanliness metro
Selected filters
Reviewed March 11, 2019

The location for this hostel is simply perfect; only a few minutes walking to the old city and to the metro stations. The building is in a kind of alley, so it is really quiet with no noises at all. There are plenty of stores, cafés, restaurants and minimarkets within close range.

As for the place itself, it is a very safe building with private codes for each room. Bedrooms are dirt-free, and so are toilets and showers. The only problem was the mattress as it was too old and one could actually feel the springs on one's back.

The staff is kind and ready to solve visitors' problems.

Surely, a highly recommended place with reasonable rates.

Date of stay: January 2019
Reviewed December 22, 2018

Private rooms are actually much better than I expected. Reception is 24 hours and they answer fast also online. Atm and amazingly a bitcoin atm too.

No kitchen and it is not a party hostel. It does have a pub with local beers, wine and palinca (avoid if you are not a heavy drinker!)

Room tip: Private rooms: sometimes the cost per person is almost the same as a small dorm
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2018

Stayed there for one night since I was travelling solo and reminded me of my old backpacking days. Stayed in one of the rooms with four beds. It was comfortable with ample storage space and clean bath/toilet facilities on the same floor. Room and surroundings were kept very clean. Management staff was very helpful since I checked in around 6 AM in the morning. Walkable distance to the city center and very convenient location. If visiting solo, would definitely stay here again....

Reviewed November 13, 2018

I signed up for this Hostel on bookings.com while trying to find something affordable at the recommendation of my fiancee. X-Hostel was affordable and in a great location - literally minutes from anything I would need to travel or use during my stay.

My first issue was with credit card - fraud advisors everywhere. I thank Ovidiu (forgive if I spell name wrong) for being so patient in keeping things open while I negotiated with the card company. We had it solved in 48 hours.

I had a private room with a private shower. I found the bed extremely comfortable- even the Hilton can not boast that fact. The room was heated/cooled and a had new wooden laminate floor. The floor was kept spotless by the cleaning staff the entire duration of my 10 day visit. I visited from Nov 2, 2018 to Nov 12, 2018, It could get humid in the day and cold at night in Bucharest but the heating/cooling was up to any standard for comfort.

Let me state there are no "freebie" amenties here except for the internet. The staff will change your bed linens, clean the room, and provide clean towels but do not expect things like soap and shampoo. Bring your own.... or goto to the Carrefour a 7 minute walk away.

If you are a simple person without a need for all the costly extras the X-Hostel private rooms are great.

Dining inside the rooms are NOT permitted as the Hostel attempts to keep a level of cleanliness to prevent insects and garbage from becoming a problem. I never saw a single insect in my room the entire stay - no roaches or bedbugs as so many people have commented. Some of the comments sound more like revenge tactics for getting busted breaking the rules than actual experiences.

I met interesting people from the US, UK, Amersterdam, France, Turkey, and Romania while there and we had interesting conversations and joking.

I had some issues with a sink one day that was slow to drain. While I was downstairs explaining the issue to the desk the manager Ramona came out. She went up immediately to fix the issue with some drain cleaner. I never had another issue with sink after that.

My advice to anyone having a problem be friendly - the staff is great especially Ramona. Talk to them first. This is how issues get resolved.

During my trip I injured my knee while walking outside. One of the cleaning staff noticed how I was struggling to walk and stopped to help my carry my bags down the stairs on my departure . Thank you again kind lady.

The free internet can be extremely slow and was at times totally unusable. I had to use my cell phone data service on many occasions to update my plane reservations. This slowness is especially bad at night. I assume everyone is using the internet to entertain themselves since no television or radios are in the rooms? It was inconvenient but not a total disaster as I am not an intense "data user". I mostly needed it for email messages and plane reservations.

If you have problems navigating stairs or carrying your own bags up/down flights of stairs you may wish to ask if rooms are available w/o this limitation. From what I could observe this Hostel is for the physically capable and truly physically independent.

Other Likes:

The X-Hostel has a 24 hour video security system and a code to get through the first entrance door. The doors to the rooms themselves are locked with physical keys.

Would I stay at the X-Hostel again. Yes I would and not have a second thought simply due to staff members as Ramona.

V. Bartlett

Room tip: Limited Budget, Clean Private Room, Helpful and Friendly Staff
Reviewed November 5, 2018

The rooms were dirty and we had bed bugs in the room. We stayed in the hostel for 3 nights and got accused of being too loud on the first night and threatened that we get kicked out of the hostel. The next two nights we've been absolutely quiet. The staff was absolutely unprofessional and unpolite. Furthermore, we didn't get our caution back with no statement of reasons, that couldn't be explained by the receptionist. All in all, that was the worst hostel stay I ever experienced and the mattresses in the hostel should be burnt down.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Daniele C, Owner at X Hostel Bucharest, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2019

So because you didn't get your deposit back you leave a review as a revenge?

You were warned several times about noise, already on the first night. We had many complaints from all the other guests who deserved quiet and silence. We got negative reviews and people not extending because of your behavior.