Review Highlights
Deal Mare cycling and wine tasting

Amazing tour of two days in Urlati/Dealu Mare region, 1h from Bucharest. Very authentic feeling... read more

Reviewed July 14, 2020
irinaalexandraelena
Bucharest, Romania
via mobile
Wine tasting tour Dealu Mare area.

Great experience, even in interesting times. ;) Good wine, great sightseeing, local food. Outdoor... read more

Reviewed July 14, 2020
811emilianc

All reviews wine tasting bike tour off road wineries saxon mare scenery bikes country rode romania homes leader
Selected filters
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I said it on the first day and felt the same way by the end of the week – I couldn’t have asked for anything more! I was sad to leave at the end and I really could have done it all over again.

I went for the Saxon Transylvania tour, for one week, in September – a fantastic time to visit. The weather was hot but in no way unbearable, with bright sunshine. It’s worth noting that despite the heat during the day, it does get cold in the evenings, so if you are planning on going, take a big jumper and a scarf as you’ll definitely need it! The scenery was absolutely beautiful and so much more than I could have ever expected – even though I checked out the photos beforehand! Rolling hills with little plum tree treats along the route! The photos simply don’t do it justice. An uphill struggle rewards you with most spectacular views, or alternatively, a thrilling ride to the bottom of the hill on the other side – grit your teeth and go for it!

I do not know much about the geography of the surrounding area of Transylvania, or other parts of Romania, but I could describe the area we cycled as an expanse of totally unspoilt countryside, with little pockets of villages every few miles – just lovely.

In no way did this trip feel rushed, pressured or as if we were following a “tour guide”. Mircea just felt like one of the group. He had such a wonderful approach and put everyone at ease. The group was fantastic and everyone had a great time. The locals were so friendly and welcoming they really made you feel at home. At no point did I feel as though I was an intruder or “just a tourist” in their country – they really are the nicest people!

A piece of advice - take padded shorts...you will still hurt, but I think it delays the real pain setting in!

Excellent trip, thoroughly recommended. What are you waiting for? Book now!!

5  Thank rjoakley
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have lived in Romania for just over a year and this was the best weekend I have had here by far..... And I have had a pretty awesome time in Romania so that is saying something. The weather was perfect and the scenary around Urlati was gorgeous. It was great seeing a different side of Romanian life and was so peaceful. The cycling was hard work but all the strenuous uphill climbs were rewarded with speeding down hill and taking in the countryside. The food was fabulous and the hosts at the children's home were friendly. The hotel was lovely. I would say the weekend was exceptionally good value. Thank you Mircea for a fabulous weekend!!! I will be doing more cycling weekends come Spring!!

4  Thank sarahjean51
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I also joined the Saxon Villages tour of judit and boat bolivia at the beginning of September.

If you really want to escape your daily madness, this is YOUR tour through the saxon villages: you will receive very warm hospitality, discover fantastic landscapes, e.g. meadows with 500 year old oaks- my absolute favourite-, almost untouched huge forests and village life that you don't find anymore in Western Europe. As a Bavarian, living in Brussels, I had the chance to talk to some old Saxons in their language, including sipping their strong tuica:) and taste old saxon cake recipies.

In this week I discovered the country in a group of 9 people. We harmonized perfectly, it felt more like having holidays with friends, I still miss their company. Our day always started with a tasty breakfast (homemade cheese, olives, peppers, eggs, homemade marmelade, fresh bread, ...) and a lot of laughter that finally ended in the late evening.

If you pay attention to your carbon footprint, prefer to stay with locals -including sleeping in their living room- and eat fresh vegetables from their gardens, then join cycling romania as the perfect eco-tourism experience!

Last point: we could only enjoy this because our mastermind and guide Mircea prepared this trip. He knows a lot about the area, the locals, including social projects that you can support by joining the tour, and simply because he loves cycling and his country. You will not find a better guide! Also his friend Julian was a fantastic helping hand!

Final last point: before you start the tour, don't forget to reserve some time for Bukarest, I was thrilled and VERY positively surprised about the city and its huge number of old wallachian style villas! Discovery of the year!!!

I am looking forward to register for a second tour next year, I hope some of my September tour friends will join me!

tuica-lover

5  Thank tuica-lover
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Mircea is a wonderful guide. His friend Julian was a fantastic helper as well. We were well taken care of. We had a wonderful time in the forest and the countryside near Ploiesti. The arrangement for the 3 day was well planned and the activities were perfect for anyone who wants to know the real Romania. The hospitality of the people and the amazing cuisine are unforgettable. The wine tasting on the last day was a perfect end for the trip. The four of us really enjoyed the trip.

Mircea also helped us with the logistic arrangement and went the extra mile to make sure that we enjoyed Romania to the fullest. Even if you only have one day to spare you should really go on the trip. Highly recommended.

3  Thank Suam1234
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I went on a 6 day tour of Transylvania with Mircea and i must say that i discovered a completely new type of holiday. The biking was fun but a huge part of the overall satisfaction were the places we stayed overnight or visited. We stayed in the households/households turned into pensions of local people from saxon villages. The hosts were hospitable in a very natural way. I strongly recommend the tour for the villages - especially Stejarisu - that you go through and the people you stay at along the way. I also enjoyed the home cooked meals which i found very tasty and the "tuica" which went with it. The hosts were so great that nobody was shy to have more servings of a particular dish. I particularly enjoyed anecdotes about village life in the past though i would've enjoyed to hear more about the history of the saxons but that's just me :)

All in all, I wish I stayed more in the area and combined walking with bike tours but since this was just a 6 day tour I can still return in the future and do some walking and more relaxing in the countryside. I am grateful for having discovered this type of holiday. It was like summercamp for adults.

3  Thank Judit1983