“Romania: big discovery!”
Review of Cycling Romania

Cycling Romania
More attraction details
Owner description: Cycling Romania is eager to offer full support for cycling tours in various magnificent regions of Romania. There is a set of standard trips, but they can be customized as well. You will discover the quiet rural life of Transylvania, the wild Carpathian Mountains or the surprisingly beautiful surroundings of the Danube River. Hope to see you soon!
Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Romania: big discovery!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I also joined the Saxon Villages tour of judit and boat bolivia at the beginning of September.

If you really want to escape your daily madness, this is YOUR tour through the saxon villages: you will receive very warm hospitality, discover fantastic landscapes, e.g. meadows with 500 year old oaks- my absolute favourite-, almost untouched huge forests and village life that you don't find anymore in Western Europe. As a Bavarian, living in Brussels, I had the chance to talk to some old Saxons in their language, including sipping their strong tuica:) and taste old saxon cake recipies.

In this week I discovered the country in a group of 9 people. We harmonized perfectly, it felt more like having holidays with friends, I still miss their company. Our day always started with a tasty breakfast (homemade cheese, olives, peppers, eggs, homemade marmelade, fresh bread, ...) and a lot of laughter that finally ended in the late evening.

If you pay attention to your carbon footprint, prefer to stay with locals -including sleeping in their living room- and eat fresh vegetables from their gardens, then join cycling romania as the perfect eco-tourism experience!

Last point: we could only enjoy this because our mastermind and guide Mircea prepared this trip. He knows a lot about the area, the locals, including social projects that you can support by joining the tour, and simply because he loves cycling and his country. You will not find a better guide! Also his friend Julian was a fantastic helping hand!

Final last point: before you start the tour, don't forget to reserve some time for Bukarest, I was thrilled and VERY positively surprised about the city and its huge number of old wallachian style villas! Discovery of the year!!!

I am looking forward to register for a second tour next year, I hope some of my September tour friends will join me!

tuica-lover

5 Thank tuica-lover

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Cycling trip - The Wine Hills of Prahova (3 day)”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Mircea is a wonderful guide. His friend Julian was a fantastic helper as well. We were well taken care of. We had a wonderful time in the forest and the countryside near Ploiesti. The arrangement for the 3 day was well planned and the activities were perfect for anyone who wants to know the real Romania. The hospitality of the people and the amazing cuisine are unforgettable. The wine tasting on the last day was a perfect end for the trip. The four of us really enjoyed the trip.

Mircea also helped us with the logistic arrangement and went the extra mile to make sure that we enjoyed Romania to the fullest. Even if you only have one day to spare you should really go on the trip. Highly recommended.

3 Thank Suam1234
Timisoara, Romania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“I thought I was going on a biking holiday but instead I got so much more”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I went on a 6 day tour of Transylvania with Mircea and i must say that i discovered a completely new type of holiday. The biking was fun but a huge part of the overall satisfaction were the places we stayed overnight or visited. We stayed in the households/households turned into pensions of local people from saxon villages. The hosts were hospitable in a very natural way. I strongly recommend the tour for the villages - especially Stejarisu - that you go through and the people you stay at along the way. I also enjoyed the home cooked meals which i found very tasty and the "tuica" which went with it. The hosts were so great that nobody was shy to have more servings of a particular dish. I particularly enjoyed anecdotes about village life in the past though i would've enjoyed to hear more about the history of the saxons but that's just me :)

All in all, I wish I stayed more in the area and combined walking with bike tours but since this was just a 6 day tour I can still return in the future and do some walking and more relaxing in the countryside. I am grateful for having discovered this type of holiday. It was like summercamp for adults.

3 Thank Judit1983
Manchester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Where do i sign up again?”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just back from this amazing trip (1st September 2012 – 8 days)

The company and Guide;
I was so pleased that this was not a large company who would shift you around in packs from one destination to another, without having time to absorb the beauty that surrounds you.
Mircea (Mee-cha) is the guide and owner of the company, who devised the routes and itineraries. He has the ability to connect with people in a natural and uplifting way with such ease you forget he is the guide. This is also evident in the way he interacts with our hosts at accommodation stops or points of interest, who are always genuinely pleased to see him and clearly not just for the income.
He takes a very liberal and relaxed approach to the itinerary, which took some of us a day or two to get accustomed to. But once we observed how competent he was we didn’t have to think about any arrangements for the rest of the week. Though I believe he has put in an awful lot of hard work beforehand to create these amazing routes. It became total relaxation, with everything being prepared for us. Proper luxury for an old (older :) independent backpacker like me. We also had another guide Iulian, who came along to learn the route - again very helpful and looked after us all.

The Tour;
I opted for the Saxon Village/church tour. I had no previous interest in Saxons of the Transylvanian region nor churches. But I am interested in the history of communities and architecture and it was fascinating.
We cycled from village to village through some breathtaking scenery meeting some lovely people along the way. Villagers would come and say hello and be happy to have photographs taken as long as it was done respectfully with their permission.
Stopping off at fresh water wells to fill up and lazing in the shade before moving on in these old but well preserved villages and woodlands was sublime.
The bikes were of a high standard ( i had one of iulians new ones - very lucky, though it came complete with full saddle bags, not so lucky)

The Accommodation;
All of the accommodation was perfect, staying in old saxon houses, pensions and a horse farm. Each one was very clean and the beds were deceptively comfortable. Much appreciated after a long bike ride.
The hosts were great fun who provided very locally produced food to an unbelievable standard. You really could taste the difference.
The only let down was the brown dirty water at the horse farm, which the owner gave us a concerning disclaimer about. Maybe something the owner needs to address if he is to have paying guests staying. The water everywhere else was crystal clear.

The Group;
I’m missing them already and have only been home four days – so that should speak volumes.
It seems from previous reviews that Meecha attracts similar kinds of people. People who enjoy fresh air, exercise and beautiful surroundings. But they are also respectful towards the local people and their homes, learning from their way of life. I also learnt so much from my fellow bikers. We were from Romania, Germany/Belgium, Peru, USA and England and enjoyed talking nonsense to more insightful discussions to outright, uncontrollable belly laughs. Age range for this particular group was early 20’s to 40’s.

Romania;
I stayed on for another week after the tour visiting other parts of Transylvania and its cities/towns. The people continued to be so friendly and welcoming, which made it hard to leave.

So overall I cannot recommend this tour highly enough, but it all depends on what you are looking for.
I'm struggling to find negatives to offer a more balanced review. The only minor point would maybe to have option of a packed lunch from the host that particular day and pay the difference. Just a thought as it's a long day burning calories with no substantial meal during the day.

So as it stands I’m looking to book with Mercea again next year on one of his other tours, it was that good.

Thanks to Mercea and the group for making this such a special trip. Please feel free to contact me if I can help with any information.

8 Thank boat2bolivia
Bucharest, Romania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Urlati region - a land of vineyards, pristine forests and warm hospitality”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

As adult natives of Romania, we didn't quite expect to be surprised by our own country, let alone by an area that is one hour drive away from our home (Bucharest) ... Mircea fully achieved this! We experienced extreme beauty and charm, learnt some history, ate fabulously, tasted local wines and enjoyed warm hospitality everywhere. Mircea is a thoughtful guide - he adapted the tour to our level of cycling "expertise" - he is also punctual, well organised, knowledgeable and ... quite fun! We shall definitely cycle with him again!
Whether you only have one day available, or you can go for the full 2 days, the Urlati tour is a MUST DO!!

Visited August 2012