“It's what you know and who you know”
Review of TravelMaker

TravelMaker
Book In Advance
More Info
$98.49*
and up
Small-Group Day Trip to Dracula's Castle, Brasov and Peles Castle from Bucharest
Ranked #4 of 139 Tours in Bucharest
More attraction details
Owner description: TravelMaker is a Romanian travel company providing private and shared airport transfers and tours in and from Bucharest, Romania since 2005. Over the last 10 years we have served more than 20000 visitors from all over the world.
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I booked a day trip with these guys into the Carpathian mountains to visit Peles and Bran castles, the Black Church in Brasov, and Sinaia monastery. Good choice! Early start at 8am was a bit of a shock but met Gabriel the driver and guide at the designated place and my fellow travellers so there were 4 of us plus Gabriel, a nice size party.
I can't rate Gabriel highly enough, very knowledgeable about the places we visited and Romania in general, English perfect, and he seemed to know everyone at the various places of interest, which was especially useful at Peles castle where he got us in the 'back door' to avoid the queues. He chose a very nice restaurant in Brasov for lunch.
Beware of the additional charge for taking photos at some of the places, as although the entry fees are cheap the camera charge isn't.
Would definitely use these guys again as they organise a range of trips to choose from, and for a single traveller it's good to join a group for a tour such as this.

Dan7750, Manager at TravelMaker, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear David, Thank you on behalf of Gabriel and our entire team. Hope to see you again soon!

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"an excellent guide"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed May 31, 2013

My Bucharest City Tour was most enjoyable and interesting made especially so by the excellence of the guide, Valentina Marinescu, and driver who both spoke vey good English and were very knowledgeble regarding the many places of interest that we visited. I have no hesitation in recommending this this tour with TravelMaker particularly so for visitors with limited time in Bucharest.

Dan7750, Manager at TravelMaker, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear John, Thank you for your feedback and best regards from Valentina!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I booked a private tour to the Peles and Bran castles for my daughter and myself. Daniel was our guide. Daniel picked us up and drove us to the Sinaia Monastery, to the Peles Castle, to Bran, to a good place to lunch in Bran, to Poiana Brasov, to the Black Church in Brasov and gave us a walking tour of the Brasov old city before driving us back to Bucharest. Daniel used the time we were in the car to give my daughter a short precis of Romanian history, as well as geography so she can understand what she sees. Being a teacher myself, I was able to appreciate the guide's ability to summarize and bring out the salient points needed to understand our travel objectives. He never rushed us while visiting, stopped with us and explained when we had questions, and carefully adapted his level of knowledge to that of a 10 year old from the US. Best of all, Daniel never pushed on us vendors that offer incentives for bringing in customers. We asked for a restaurant that can serve the famous 'papanasi' (pronounce papa-nashi) and he took us to a place that had delicious, delicious papanasi (Papanasi alone are worth a trip to Transilvania, but why not round it all up with some Kurtosi while you are there? Kurtosi is a form of brioche baked on a hot metal cylinder - a cylindrical brioche, if you want. Not to be missed. We found a bakery right outside the Bran castle.) All in all, the company and the guide treated us with respect and exceeeded our expectations in every way. They do not treat you like you are some gullible ignorant in search of beer and some trivia (someone there must have read Mark Twain's 'Innocents Abroad'.) The company offers some pretty run-of-the-mill packages on their website but I found that contacting them by email opens the door to personalized service. Their prices are reasonable. We could not have visited these objectives for less and within one day using PT.

1  Thank MarietaBC
Dan7750, Manager at TravelMaker, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you very much madame on behalf of Daniel and our company. It was a pleasure for us too.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My colleagues and I were given a tour around Bucharest by Gabriel.
I wanted to say a huge thank you for the interesting and pleasant tour that you and your driver gave us.
The stories you told, and the way you told them, was very engaging and I feel that I have come away from Romania knowing more about the Country’s history.
I will be in touch should I have the opportunity to visit again, and would certainly recommend you to anyone I know that intends to visit Romania.
Thanks again.

Dan7750, Manager at TravelMaker, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Thank you Sir on behalf of Gabriel!

See more reviews
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The two of us had DANIEL GHEORGHITA as our private tour guide for the 2 Castles 1 Church day trip. Daniel provided detailed historical background information on Romania and the attractions that we visited, therefore we nicknamed him "Wikipedia of Romania!"
We had wonderful Romanian and Hungarian dishes that were both traditional to Brasov.
Daniel was an experienced, honest and humorous tour guide that could keep your traveling sprit going!
Heard that he also provides longer tours in the Eastern European region so we would definitely have him as our tour guide for our next trip there!

Thank you so much Derek! Best regards from Daniel too!