“A great weekend in Bucharest”

Z Executive Boutique Hotel
Ranked #22 of 169 Hotels in Bucharest
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a great place, the interior is really cool and very modern, the rooms are big and very well kitted out, the staff are friendly and extremely helpful. I can't believe it is so cheap! The location is fantastic too, less than 5 minutes walk to the centre of the Old Town and very close to a main arterial road so travelling by taxi is very quick and easy. Breakfast was very good and served until late (11 i think), continental spread pastries with omelettes made to order. the roof terrace is really nice with good views, although it was 40 degrees when we were there so we stayed inside for breakfast to escape the heat. Will definitely stay again.

The only criticism I could possibly make is that the small street it is on is a bit run down. However, this really is just one street and 2 minutes down the road is Old Town. I didn't feel unsafe at all, it's just not lined with palm trees. Google Streetview it, this should not dissuade you from staying here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AdavLondon

Reviewed July 2, 2012

The hotel is very cozy, spotless clean and modern. It's well worth getting a room with a terrace-the view of the sunrise over the Intercontinental is so beautiful!
The bathroom is very clean and the beds are very comfortable. It is very quiet as well.
The lobby downstairs is very pleasant for a late night drink or chat and the staff is great, friendly, unintrusive and accomodating.
I highly reccomend this hotel, it has a lot of charm!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank alexander2005
Reviewed June 24, 2012

thanks to tripadvisor - this was truly a good find - in the old city - in a lovely quiet street - with only a few rooms. Our room on the 7th floor with view of the city - spacious, clean, lovely beds and good bathroom. This hotel is newly rennovated with lovely breakfast served on top floor. Good helpful folks at reception. Great transport from airport - bus 783 then get off at Piata Univesitatii, walk to underground (under the huge intersection) take the stairs out of the underground at the sign Muzeul National de Istorie. The hotel is just behind the Palace Sutu - you see this on your right as you come out from the underground.

Room Tip: stay on the 7th floor with a view of the city. we stayed room 701 was excellent.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jean P
Reviewed June 7, 2012

The location of this hotel couldn't be better- near the old centre of Bucharest, just by a metro stop, and so accessible to most of what you want.

The rooms are very well designed, very stylish and comfortable, and also clean. Staff are friendly, and the upstairs bar looks great (didn't drink or eat there, so can't comment on that).

A couple of niggles: we first had a room overlooking the street, which was apparently noisy (there are major construction works going on at the end). I must admit to having slept through it all (and slept very well indeed), but you never know. We changed our room for the second night (staff were great about this), but the second room had a leaky cistern which couldn't be fixed, even though we did complain about it. A pity, as the stay was excellent apart from this.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the rear- Bucharest tends not to be a quiet city...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grooverjlazerus
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This hotel couldn't be better positioned, in a quiet side street just off the central spine running between Piața Unirii, through Piaţa Universităţii and Piaţa Romană, and on to Piaţa Victoriei. There is excellent access to public transport (Metro stop is Universitate; East/West buses and trolleybuses stop in Bulevardul Regina Elizabeta, North/South buses in Calea Victoriei) giving connections to all parts of the city. The Old Town, centred on Strada Lipscani about 400 metres away, is a major focus of the City's vibrant nightlife.

Well appointed rooms, very helpful Anglophone staff, good breakfasts taken either in the ninth floor bar or on its adjoining terrace, reliable wifi, reasonably priced - this hotel certainly met all of my requirements for a five day stay.

A couple of tips. (i) Dine in one or more of the many restaurants offering Romanian cuisine. Such places were very hard to come by last time I was in town some thirty years ago, but they now abound. (ii) Do as the locals do and snack at lunchtimes on Covrigi (very like big pretzels)bought through the windows of bakeries: the longer the queue the greater the chance of a memorable warm and filling treat. (iii) Electronic ticketing - rather like London's Oystercard and the San Francisco Bay Area's Clippercard - has replaced the old paper tickets. If you propose to travel extensively by public transport buy an Activcard from one of the silver kiosks run by the City transport undertaking, RATB. Many of the options that can be loaded on to an Activcard, eg a seven day all bus, trolleybus and tram travelcard, are user specifc so you will need to produce your passport when you make your purchase. (iv) Go for walks in the City's parks. They are intensively used by the locals, so you will have the chance to observe and to absorb a lot of the local colour.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Freischutz
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I spent my weekend at Bucharest.
Very Clean, perfectly located, good breakfast, affordable prices.
Very large and stylish room.

Bottom line worth ever penny!

one remark: no king size bed, two twins combined together!

Room Tip: Higer floors, better views
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Robert_Berk_Alev
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My girlfriend and I were very excited to stay at the Z Executive for our trip to Bucharest. However, it was more of a headache than it was worth. Our flight was a little bit late to Bucharest and we arrived at the hotel at 11pm or so. The hotel was a bit of a challenge to find because it is down a dark street, but the location is central enough. When we arrived, the man at the front desk informed us that one of their guests decided to stay another night, and therefore they would not be able to accommodate us. This was a surprise because they could have called or emailed me at any time to let me know that they were bumping us, but they didn't even try. To make things worse, while they had booked us a room at a nearby hotel, the reception said we should walk there as it was only 10 minutes away - this is with all of our luggage on midnight in Bucharest. We couldn't believe it. Of course I had a cab called and reception was nice enough to pay for the ride to the next hotel, but let me tell you, it was a walk down dark streets that I wouldn't have been comfortable doing with all of our belongings. To make matters worse, there was another couple checking in as we were leaving and their room was available (I assume they paid a higher rate). Before we left I asked for the supervisor to contact us when they were available. The man at reception said his supervisor would call us the next day at 10am, but no surprise they didn't call.

The hotel we stayed at - The Rembrandt Hotel - ended up being in a better location and the staff there were amazing. Really I can't say enough GOOD things about Rembrandt - clean rooms, wonderful breakfast, and perfect location. It's too bad the Z Hotel had to mess up for us to find that gem.

I'm sure my review would have been different had they just contacted me ahead of time - or at least tried - and perhaps had they treated my girlfriend and me better. I cannot recommend the Z Hotel and I suggest you stay somewhere else that treats their customers with respect.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple