“A place with character but slightly overrated”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Divan - CLOSED

Divan
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Divan is more than just another restaurant, lounge or cafe, it’s a place where people get together to meet each other, to tell stories, to share from their experiences, from their food plate, which may be different than yours. It’s a magical place, created as a melting pot between traditional and progress. Between the modern, noisy, agitated Turkey and its traditional counterpart, filled with meaningful stories of wise or adventurous man. At Divan, everything is made following this rule of reuniting the two sides of life, progress and evolution.
Bucharest, Romania
“A place with character but slightly overrated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The design of the place, the outfit of the waiters, the light inside, the aromas and the taste of the food all give character to the restaurant and make it somehow memorable. It could be, though, being located in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the old town, that gives it a more touristy air and makes the experience less magical and the attention for details less strict.
We were five friends / family having lunch on a Sunday afternoon. The place was not overly crowded and we chose to sit upstairs since we find the design more appealing.
We believe more attention should be paid to the quality of the service. The waiters were polite and friendly; however, they would bring more charm to the place if they enriched the clients' experience with recommendations on the menu, being an exotique one. In this case, their presence were ordinary (but their outfits), and they didn’t smile. Also, the service was somewhat slow, which (not for us, but in other cases) may be disturbing.
The food was good, tasty and special, beautifully presented.
I couldn't specifically say what lacks this place, but I would say the service could be slightly better in order to give you a more intimate, cosy feeling. They shouldn't be caught in the trap of becoming a tourist attraction for its design, exotique cuisine in the heart of old city, but a must eat here for the overall quality of the experience. Which is special, but not yet magical.

• Visited March 2013

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bad Waldsee, Deutschland
“Divan—a Slice of Turkish Exoticism in Romania”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

A Turkish dish found in Romania? If you can’t tell light from dark, it must be a dream to ever experience such a thing. But, that’s the truth. If there is a chance you are going to visit Romania anytime soon, the Divan Restaurant is the one place you should never miss at all costs. Why?
If you start picturing this place as yet another ethnic-based restaurant, which you can possibly find anywhere else around the world, you better get that image off of your mind. Divan is in no way similar to those restaurants whose pictures you take and collect within photo albums. If anything else, the Divan is a place that combines those elements of café, lounge, and, of course, restaurant, to simultaneously offer you another experience in hanging around with people you perhaps meet for the first time. You can actually talk to people there. Share everything from those little stories you have during your vacation up to, perhaps, things personal to you. The bottom line, you can actually speak and share, two things us human rarely do in this time.
What’s more, you can enjoy both modern and traditional atmosphere of Turkey at Divan. The blend will ultimately and eventually create some sort of environment so comfortable you can barely think about leaving it. Foods? Mezeler, Corbalar, Kebaplar, Salatar, plus a string of foods that can make you drool with hunger just by saying their names.

• Visited June 2012
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“A Taste of Turkey in Bucharest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I visited this lovely Turkish restaurant on a recent trip to Bucharest. I love Turkish food and regularly visit my favourite local Turkish restaurant in England so I had high hopes for this restaurant. It's situated in the Lipscani district, surrounded by bustling cafes, bars and clubs. The decor in Divan is beautiful and colourful and upon arrival the staff were friendly and respectful. I decided to have one of the kebabs and was not disappointed. It was delicious! The meat was full of flavour and the salad very tasty. I don't normally have dessert but had to try something sweet here (I love baklava!) so I decided to try the Knuefe which is a delicious traditional sweet made with dough, sugar syrup and cheese. I'd go back again just for that!

The service in my opinion was excellent and although the staff were not overly gushing (something I dislike actually) I found them to be professional, efficient and respectful. The only downside I'd mention was that it was a little on the pricey side but I do feel it was worth it for such nice food.. overall, it was a lovely evening and I'd highly recommend the restaurant, especially if you enjoy Turkish food like me.

• Visited January 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“food is delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I went to Divans for the first time the other day and had a wonderful experience. Fantastic service, delicious food and a lovely little dining room. We didn't want to sit in the middle of the main dining room, so the hostess moved tables for us and turned up the heat and was very attentive- but not annoyingly so. She really seemed to care that we were happy and comfortable (and there were plenty of other tables to attend to). Our waitress was speedy, very polite and considerate and didn't miss a beat. The food was phenomenal. We had desert which left nothing to be desired and I had a cup of Turkish coffee which was also that perfect, thick, rich beverage that I love. Go check it out, you won't be disapointed.

• Visited December 2012
Bucharest
“Be careful what you order. Somewhat overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Beside some decently cooked courses the menu also hides nasty surprises how I got once by ordering skewered lamb liver. The service and atmosphere are totally unremarkable. The only good thing is the location in the center of Bucharest in the tourist area. If that doesn't matter, you can find much better alternatives for a similar price.

• Visited August 2012