“change of management”
Review of Baba Dochia - CLOSED

Baba Dochia
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This was a very pleasant restaurant last year but it has changed hands and the quality has gone down significantly.l They have also been taken on my Ursus, which means they don't stock any of the other beers on their menu. The meal we had was luke warm and unappetising; the bathrooms weren't clean and there were no other customers.

1  Thank VW57

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We had dinner here since it was just around the corner from the Hotel Unique where we were staying. As other reviewers have commented, the menu does not have English translation and while the waiter spoke good English and was very patient with us, it was a laborious process especially as the menu is quite extensive and we wanted to avoid eating the same tried and tested dishes. We also discovered that the waiter's translation often left out key ingredients so the food which arrived usually bore no resemblance to what we imagined ! But this is a common hazard of travelling anywhere so this is not a criticism.

Food was tasty but we ate similar food just as good elsewhere in Romania. Prices were OK although the regional red wines were perhaps a little pricey. Recommended but probably better if you have some knowledge of regional Romanian dishes.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I must be fair: the place is very beautiful, nice decorated Art Nouveau style and planty of food in menu, from all Roamnia region. Because I like very much the cooked food, I order some romanian traditional bean soup and Pui Manastiresc - chicken, mushrooms, bacon in white souce. My friends from England taste also cooked food - on my recommandation, vegetable soup and Vita Filozofala - beef, vegetables and olives in red wine souce. The services was acceptable, average, like in all Bucharest. So, I'll be back!

Reviewed April 18, 2012

My colleague and I were recommended this place by our Romanian workmates.

We found it a very nice place for a meal. The menu isn't in English which would have been useful for us, but wasn't a necessity as the waiter spoke very good English. I think the menu is probably quite complicated for a non-local so we just asked the waiter to recommend some typically Romanian dishes.

We ended up with a shared starter of cold meats and feta cheese which was excellent.

The main was a kind of mince wrapped in leaves with a sauce similar to tzatziki and some polenta, it was tasty and enjoyable and interesting to try some Romanian food. We also had a couple of the local beers each which were very nice.

The price was amazing, our meal and drinks together came to just over 110 leiu, which is about £21.

(You can also do take-away which we did the next night when working late)

1  Thank Aaron B
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Average food, complicated menu, poor for vegetarians.