“Spotless, Polite and Helpful Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Christina

Hotel Christina
Ranked #1 of 165 Hotels in Bucharest
Palmerton, Pennsylvania
“Spotless, Polite and Helpful Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were in Bucharest the night we came into Romania and the night before we left, as most of our travel time was out in the countryside. We stayed at Hotel Christina and ate in the restaurant both coming and going. The hotel was a reasonable walk to the down town area with all the interesting sights, but is not right in the thick of things. It was a short taxi ride to the train, a little longer to the airport.

The staff was very helpful; we used the hotel driver and car for pick up/drop off at the airport and train stations. If you don't know the Romanian language and taxi system you need to be very careful because there a lot of shady companies and drivers who over charge or drive you all over the city to run up the meter. The hotel driver was expensive, but safe and spoke some English.

The breakfast buffet was large with a good selection of fruit, cereal, yogurt, breads, eggs, and meats. There was also the usual coffee, tea, and fresh squeezed juice was provided. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent both times we ate there.

The rooms were comfortable, plenty of hot water and clean. We had nice views in both rooms. Be prepared to carry your luggage up a half flight of steps to get to the elevator and also depending on your room you might have to do a half flight from the elevator to your room. Carrying your luggage up and down stairs is common in a lot of European accommodations in my experience. If you need to have assistance, I am sure they could provide it.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the restaurant and reception if possible--higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eileen M
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
First of all, thank you very much for your review! Good advice regarding the taxis here, I recommend the hotel driver, it is a good solution and, depending on the type of car, the price can be quite competitive. Besides this option, there is also the metro-subway system which is really modern and comes with a very good price (especially the 10 trips ticket- you can get it for 15 lei, so less then 4 Euro and it can be used by 10 different people). You can also use it for one stop to get to the old city center. Right about the half flight of stairs, but only for a very small number of rooms, the majority being on the same level as the elevator and as you said, you can always get help with your luggage from the reception, it is never a problem. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and also the restaurant, it was a pleasure to have you as our guest!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Hotel Christina deserves to be the top rated small hotel in Bucharest. The rooms are cute, ultra modern, the beds very comfortable and clean. Air conditioning quiet. We prearranged to have the hotel set up our airport pickup which worked out very well. The Hotel meals are delicious and presented with flair. The complimentary wine and cheese was excellent and generous.

It is the staff which makes this hotel exceptional. The Hotel Christina staff are truly nice people sincerely trying their best to treat all their guests as good as visiting family. (which is the way you want to be treated in Romania.) The staff make phone calls and translated for us, printed train schedules, advised us on visiting sites in Bucharest, what to pay the taxi drivers, and even told the taxi drivers exactly where to take us. I think of the many fine hotels and B&B’s we’ve stayed at on our European adventures and the staff at Hotel Christina is right there with the best of them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank santafaen
We always try to make the ones that decide to stay with us when visiting Bucharest, feel like more than just clients (like people feel, sadly, when visiting so many other hotels around the world). We love making people feel like guests, friends, family as you said. A big hello and best wishes from the Christina team! Thank you very much for your review!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I took our honeymoon on the Danube and started from Bucharest with a three-day pre-cruise stay from June 6-9 at Hotel Christina based on my research in TripAdvisor. We had a great stay. The hotel is small, but it more than made up for the lack of grandeur with great services. Before our trip, all email correspondences were promptly answered. Airport transfer was arranged at a descent price. Day-trip was also arranged through the front desk. Hotel is clean and spotless. Breakfast buffet is absolutely delightful! I still smack my lips thinking about it.
Highly recommend this little gem of a hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Risen
That sounds like a great journey! I am glad to know you picked TripAdvisor to help you choose us and that you were not disappointed. The email is one of our favorite way of communication, you can even use it to book the hotel (or other services, like some of the ones you mentioned) in order to get the best price by telling us when you would like to visit and asking for an offer. Thank you very much for your review!
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Got a $100/night room at Hotel Christina for one night at the last minute. The service was excellent, very helpful staff, and the complimentary wine and cheese was a nice touch. Overall, the place was not a luxury or boutique establishment, but perfectly nice for what I was looking for. The rooms are spacious and modern (perhaps a little too modern, I could not figure out how to turn off some of the lights). The place seems very small, tucked away on a quiet street, and it was very quiet, not a place to hangout.

While it may be outside the hotel's control, the cab driver they called for me using their system, which is supposed to be a reliable company, still tried to/was able to rip me off on the way to an early morning flight. Unfortunate but from what I've read this is common practice so I don't fault the hotel.

I had a late afternoon meal at their restaurant and the food was surprisingly good. I had the four cheese penne pasta and it was served with fresh greens of some sort that were delicious. They also packed me complimentary sandwiches since my flight was so early and they knew I would miss breakfast, which was very much appreciated.

Do not expect this to be a true luxury hotel, but the service is great and I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
I am glad to know you found at Christina what you were looking for. Of course the luxury and boutique terms are not very strict or standard, they vary allot depending on what each person understands and want. One could understand luxury as having a room with old style, massive wood furniture and golden taps; someone else could understand having a room decorated in a minimalist style with all sorts of gadgets. I think it is all about different tastes (and thank goodness we are all different!). Regarding the turning off of the lights (or any other problem for that matter), never hesitate to ask for help at the reception, the team from Christina is always eager to help. Yes, there is a problem for sure with cab drivers in Bucharest, that is why I always recommend guests to ask at the reception for one as those guys are OK in a 99% proportion. As you said, it is difficult to control them, as all the cab companies are huge with allot of drivers (among them dishonest cab drivers). Maybe you framed in that 1%, or maybe the regular company that we call was busy, but the fact remains that in Bucharest there is (still) a problem with cab drivers. That is why I think the best solution is to book a private transfer with us with a competitive price, even if compared to a correct cab drive (just ask via email). Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor, it means allot to us and also thank you for trying out the restaurant, I am happy to know you were not disappointed. Looking forward for your next visit in Bucharest, we will be waiting for you with the same pleasure!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Loved this place and would go back again if I ever return to Bucharest. First, rooms were great. Second, Breakfast was excellent, they have daily tours and 2 day tours. We did a daily tour to the castles and it was excellent without the hassle of a big group. The staff and service was very helpful and willing to go the extra mile. Make sure the taxi charges you only 50 Ron, we got ripped off by having us pay 150. If you refuse, go to hotel and they will make sure you only pay the correct amount. Loved it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sixily
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
That's right, we have all sorts of private tours, either daily or for two days or tours just a few hours long for Bucharest or the surrounding area (you can ask at the reception on the spot or on the email and you will get all the information you need). I am glad you enjoyed your tour with us and that you got to see a part of beautiful Romania. Regarding the taxis, good advice! From the airport to the hotel, you shouldn't be charged with more than 50 to 80 lei and this is the case for 3.5 lei/km as the taxis tend to have around the airport. If you are going from point A to B in the city, you should only pick 1.39 or 1.4 lei/km taxis. You can always ask at the reception to call you a fair one. Another option for the way to get from or to the airport/railway station is to let us organize you a private transfer with our driver which will be a similar amount as a regular taxi would be (also you can ask about this on the email). Thank you very much for your review!
Parkland, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Lured by good Trip Advisor reviews, I booked my 1 night stay here. It was hot in Bucharest (86 F) and my room was boiling hot. The A/C was weak & my room (#41) never did really cool down. My reception on arrival was lukewarm & they kept insisting my AC was working OK, even though the airflow was very weak. My room was on a half floor--so when you get off the elevator, you must go up or down some stairs, depending if you get off on 3 or 4. Difficult with heavy bags. Despite all the modern amenities, there were so many details of lacking: no Kleenex, slippery shower floor, only 2 tiny towels, 2 small pillows-so I had no chance to sit up in bed, flimsy plastic drinking cups, etc. The only reason I rate average is because it was clean & modern.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jmurrayolympic
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear jmurrayolympic, I'm sorry, you experience should have been different, but:
- we used ceramic tiles for the floor and in order not to slip, you have at your disposal one use slippers
- the number of the towels that we have is regulated for the 4 star hotels, although you can ask for as many as you wish
- two small pillows: you can ask for as many pillows as you wish, we have dozens for our guests, but if you noticed, the bed is adjustable by remote control and you can use it in any position
- flimsy plastic drinking cups: don't be mean, we never use plastic drinking cups anywhere in the hotel or in the rooms. we do have a one use plastic cup in the bathroom, but that is not for drinking, but for rinsing when you wash your teeth
- regarding the half floor, if you told us, there was no problem for us to help you with the luggage
Thank you very much and it will be a pleasure to have you as our guest again in the future!
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Excellent. No other words to describe this amazing hotel. There is nothing that the hotel hadn't thought about to make me welcome, comfortable and want to return which I am planning to do early next year. The room was spotless with every possible amenity, the breakfast delicious and every member of the staff a pleasure to deal with. Kudos!

Room Tip: Every "colorful" room was perfect and my friends and I slept in four different ones.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Louise Z
I am glad to know that you and your friends had a good time and you enjoyed yourselves at Christina. Thank you very much for your review and tip! See you next year!