“One of the best hotels I've stayed in”
Review of Vila Arte

Vila Arte
Ranked #78 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Bucharest
London
“One of the best hotels I've stayed in”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and can really only add my voice to the other excellent reviews. I was met by the lovely Danniela at reception on my arrival who seemed to be expecting me. She could not have been more helpful, making good suggestions on how to use my 24 hours in Bucharest most effectively, checking on tours and restaurants whilst I freshened up. The room was lovely: a good size, nicely decorated with a smart tiled bathroom (see photos). Breakfast was perfect with eggs cooked to order, fruit including delicious spiced apricots and all the usual cereals and yoghurt. In any other city this hotel would be expensive, in Bucharest it was a bargain, especially considering the level of comfort and exceptional friendliness. The only comment I would make is that I don't understand it's listing under 'Speciality Lodging'. It is a hotel - small and bijou - but it isn't an apartment or a hostel. I think this would mislead some people.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Madgejones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We had a lovely welcome at vila Arte! The whole staff was great, so were the rooms. Breakfast could be more interesting, though it is a small hotel so we know it's not evident to serve a large breakfast, and we had great fresh roasted coffee! The service and friendliness of the staff was of the best we saw/had in Romania! Our compliments!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Boutique is one of those words that is used a lot in the hotel business to mean lots of different things. Using my own understanding of the word, I would apply it to this hotel. It ticks all the boxes for me with regard to its boutique-ness. For example, its very modern, stylish and is decorated with what appears to be designer wallpapers, fixtures, fittings and furnishings.

Your first sense of this style comes as you enter the hotel building, the reception area is bright and modern with works of art hanging on the walls with designer furniture to match. From here you see the dining area which again has many framed photos on show, some black and white, some shot in an arty style all with matching black frames.

On the way to the room you pass more artworks and photo's on the wall of the stairs and corridors. Outside our room there was also a PC with flat screen monitor on a minimal looking desk facing book shelf wallpaper.

The room itself was very spacious, tastefully decorated and made you feel quite comfortable and relaxed. There was a desk and chaise longue at one side, comfortable bed on the other and more than ample wardrobe space if that's what you're looking for. The bathroom, in keeping with the rest of the hotel was decorated in bright red mosaic tiles with a ridiculously deep modern bath. There was also bathrobes available and the usual bubble baths, shower gels and shampoo's etc. The door and wall of the bathroom is made from thick frosted glass which allows lots of light in.

This room also had a tiny balcony which while not having any real view, was nice to sit out on to read or relax. Other little touches include free Wi-Fi (not to mention access outside the room and again with a little office on the landing on the above floor), this room also had an espresso coffee making machine, well stocked mini bar and large flat screen LCD TV mounted on the wall. There was also a safe for your valuables.

The breakfast was a little different to the usual European affair and was quite minimal and yet there was just about enough to eat. The very friendly staff will usually ask if you would like a fresh omelet. Yoghurt and fruit and juice are also available with tea and coffee. The location does seem a little unusual in the sense that it’s in an area that isn't particularly interesting. But having said that, it’s about a 10 or 15 minute walk to the old town area where there are more than enough bars to keep you entertained. In fact there are so many, it’s difficult to decide which bar to go to for a bit of food. We tried a few and wasn’t disappointed on the whole.

One that I can recommend is a bar called Malagamba (str.Sf. Dumitru nr. 2, sector 3). In other words, next door but one to the comedy theatre. We found the service here quite good (which isn’t the case everywhere) and we even got talking to the Irish owner John who told us that he placed a lot of emphasis on good service and uses fresh ingredients in the food whenever he could. This like all the bars in the old town had tables and chairs outside which seems to be the way the Romanians like to dine and drink.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you want a comfort, style mixed with the new and the old.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelPad
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 15, 2010

We stayed at Vila Arte for three nights in May 2010, in the Ottoman Room. We have stayed in many hotels around the world, and Vila Arte compares favorably against any of them, and very favorably once cost is factored in--this is an excellent hotel with very comfortable beds and excellent service. The front desk staff helped us pick restaurants, always got a taxi for us within minutes, and made sure we had what we needed in the room. Breakfast was delicious, as well. Overall, an excellent experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I stayed in the hotel with a friend of mine for a long weekend. We have had a positive experience from the beginning. The hotel is obviously beautiful (you can see on the pictures), but the service really made it for us. We have had many questions for the staff and we've dealt with 4 different people, all equally helpful. They helped us recommend restaurants and help translate the menu, they helped us check into our flight and print out the boarding passes.... Definitely beyond the call of duty.
The hotel is also situated in a very leafy neighbourhood of Bucharest with some very nice cafes and restaurants around.
The only thing I would've changed is the noise from the street (the city is surprisingly busy throughout the night) which bothered us somewhat during the night.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 1, 2010

The hotel is small with each room designed differently. Staff is pleasant and extremely helpful. Everything is possible. If you need breakfast earlier, later, just let them know.

I ended up missing the first night and telephoned them the same day to ask for them to just hold the reservation. They did not charge me for the first night even though it was after the time I was supposed to check in.

I was greeted with a tour of the hotel (they even showed me the other rooms), the small fitness area, the sauna, the breakfast area.

The rooms are spacious, excellent beds, very nice bathrooms with lovely shampoos, soaps, bathrobes, etc. And quiet enough.

The receptionist suggested a few sightseeing points and even though I did not ask, investigated the English speaking tours and availability for the Palace of Parliament and reported her findings. She later offered me a coffee as I was sitting on the patio one evening. Another gentleman asked me if I needed an airport transport to be arranged the night before I checked out.

Breakfast is served every morning with everything one would expect (fruit, eggs, cheese, tomatoes, yogurt, cereal, juice, coffee, etc.).

The hotel is located is a nice area, a short walk to the American embassy, metro, all the historic sights, a nice market...

Overall a relaxing and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Lola_Getz
Constanta
Reviewed March 25, 2010

The room is very large and great decorated, more good taste than any other hotel i stayed around the world. The staff is more than polite and makes you feel a very important guest even if i was the first time guest of the hotel. I booked a standard room, but they showed me all the hotel and i can tell that you should experience the Ottoman Suite. I forget the gorgeous sauna from the upper story.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business