“Worst Service and Food”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Worst Service and Food”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We have just been to this abysmal restaurant for dinner. This was on the back of a recommendation of the hotel we are staying in. It has a large banner on display outside the Hotel, where the restaurant is located, stating "Best Chinese Food In Bucharest".

I have eaten Chinese across the world and so was expecting something rather special. To begin with the restaurant has virtually no atmosphere. The place was empty, which was a forewarning we should have heeded. The staff were disinterested and disappeared into the kitchen and only came out when we ordered the "meal", when the food was ready and to clear the plates away. No interest was shown other than that.

We ordered 2 draught beers, Chicken Chow Mein and Beef Chow Mein. It states that the noodles are homemade and read as if you were going to get something rather special. When the beers came, they tasted all wrong. I think if anyone tries this place, order bottle beer and have it opened in front of you, as darught is simply not right. Next the Chow Mein came out and what a total disappointment. The main meals were served on small side plates and there was virtually nothing on the plate. The meal was not enough for a child. The price of the Chow Mein is 25 Lei each. This equates to £4.80 each, plus beer at 12 Lei each. The noodles were awful and you would need a magnifying glass to find the meat. Three words sum up this place, "Total rip off". I wish we had checked Tripadvisor before going to this place, as many people have highlighted how bad the restaurant, actually is.

My advice, do not go to this place, find somewhere better. I am furious at myself for paying almost £15 for total rubbish. Avoid

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Chris_Cotton

• Polish first
“Just ok...”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

The service was good, there was smoking everywhere, and the portions where child sized. I'm not like a huge eater or guy, but I had to order the same dish 3 times for me to feel full, but it was good.

• Visited September 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“interesting”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

As a solo diner you get a different take on a restaurant, I found it to be lifeless and lacking character; despite the Chinese decor! It was lunch time and very quiet but is this (my experience) what they are faced with providing every day? I had prawns to start and chicken satay for my mail, both of which wee pleasant and freshly cooked but nothing to really shout home and rave about in the end. Service was good and sharp!

• Visited March 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
“Not...great. Unimpressed. ”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I visited Nan Jing as it was convenient as a guest in Minerva Hotel.

The restaurant has a proud banner proclaiming the best Chinese food in Bucharest so...how could I not try it?!

Oh boy.

The server was unenthusiastic and seemed unhappy to be there. Okay. I can deal with that.

How about the food though?

Ordered the wonton soup to start which advertised fresh homemade noodles. Well. My soup didn't have these aforementioned noodles and was lukewarm at best.

Well maybe I can give it a pass since it's a starter/side item. How about our main meal?

We can green beans with mushrooms and chicken with mushrooms. Oh man. I guess I expected fresh green beans but was disappointed with the clearly canned beans and canned mushrooms to boot. The chicken was decent quality but it was CLEARLY reheated or something. The middle of the chicken was still cold to the touch but had been cooked through so we knew it was previously cooked and just not reheated properly.

We picked at what was edible and got out of there as soon as possible.

Avoid.

Vienna, Austria
“Great Chinese Food in Bucharest”
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

We truly enjoyed our meal. The food is exceptional and the service great. There are lots of selections including vegetarian and diabetic. We were staying at the hotel and were entitled to a 10% discount. This was overlookd although we had alerted the staff before ordering. We paid by credit card then realized the mistake. The waiter said they could no longer give the discount and we complained and sure enough we got the discoubt.
The number of tables is small so a reservation is a must.
The restaueant doubles as Hotel Minerva's breakfast room and shares the problem of having the best area with a view of the street for smokers

Visited March 2014