“Quite good but not special”

Radisson Blu Hotel Bucharest
Ranked #11 of 166 Hotels in Bucharest
London, United Kingdom
“Quite good but not special”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Radisson must be one of the best hotels in Bucharest. Have stayed elsewhere and I can be relative sure about it. It is a solid establishment, out there with the better Radissons of this world. Good size business room, good bed, nice ambiance in the common areas. No major flows and reliable services including wifi, room sevice, tv channels, workink desk etc.
Rather expensive though and nothing special. Main points of concern is the pool which is too busy as part of a gym that is not residents only, as well a good looking but poorly serviced club lounge (no snacks, very poor breakfast).

Professionally run but with hick-ups. Example; I was booked 1 day before arrival and my agent was only offered junior suite upwards, whereas upon arrival found good availability on business rooms which is what I needed. I downgraded despite the small decrease in price mainly as a matter of principle. This however cause a mild confusion at check out with the charges. All fine in the end without much hassle, but I consider it a case where the hotel is trying only as much as it think it needs.

Overall I recommend if you don't mind the high cost.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DanielaDumitrescu, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Bucharest, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience within our hotel with the Trip Advisor community.

We took notice of your comment and we would therefore like to apologize for not fully meeting your expectations.

I have already communicated my colleagues from the Food and Beverages department your feedback regarding the breakfast service in the Business Class lounge but not least we would very much appreciate if you could offer us more details regarding your expectations regarding the expected breakfast menu. In what concerns the snacks, I would like to mention that we do offer small snacks and soft drinks in the Business Class Lounge but I will investigate this matter together with my colleagues in order to make sure no exception has happened and for all our guests to be very well informed regarding the available services.

In what involves the wellness center, following our guests notifications we are now doing our best to find reliable solutions in order for our guests to fully enjoy these relaxing facilities in a comfortable mood.

On behalf of our entire team here, at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Bucharest, we would like to thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel!

Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Oradea, Romania
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Very good hotel, good services, but the price is too high.The rooms were adequate as with business hotel chains, the lobby clean and restaurant good food. Serices are also good, parking service is available.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have lived and worked in Bucharest. I have stayed at most of the major hotels (Radisson, Marriott, Carol Parc, etc.) in the city. The Rad is always my first choice and for me is the best hotel in Bucharest. Not only do I stay here but when friends and family visit, I book them here. Even if the hotel exceeds their budget, I usually chip in the extra money from my own pocket because I know that the hotel will take care of them.

While each hotel has its own advantages and disadvantages and every traveller has a slightly different idea of luxury, I choose the Rad based on comfort and service. The rooms, particularly the bathrooms are the most up-to-date and luxurious in Bucharest. Beds are comfortable (with full King beds in some rooms) and based on European standards rooms are large and bright. I usually ask to stay over the pool area to avoid traffic noise but even then only very loud car horns or sirens can be heard through the windows and I have never heard noise from any of my neighbors. Some reviewers have characterized the rooms as "soulless" I am not sure that is fair, while the rooms are to a western standard I find the design funky, enjoyable, and functional.

I have eaten in Prime and Cafe Citta and had excellent meals there well above average of normal hotel food. However, the food and excellent service comes at a high cost well above that of most Romanian restaurants this is the same at the Marriott and other western hotels.

Beyond the rooms, the excellent food, and the best equipped fitness center in Bucharest at the adjoining World Class Health, what makes the hotel truly luxurious is the service. I have been fortunate enough to say in a lot of great hotels but I rarely have received better service anywhere. Early on during my stay, as I was learning the city, the hotel sent bellman, a security guard, and even a service manager with me to go the bank, change money, etc., just to make sure there were no problems.

More recently, a taxi in Bucharest cheated me. He charged me 30 Lei ($9) for what should have been a 10 Lei ($3) fare from the hotel to Piata Romana and back. When I arrived at the hotel, I gave the receipt to the head bellman, Mihai and he consulted with a young concierge, Vlad. They apologized profusely, and within 10 minutes they had called the company and the driver returned with my money. The next day, three separate staff members apologized and asked if the matter had been resolved. This kind of service anywhere, much less in Bucharest, is wonderful. If you ever have concerns about a taxi make sure to get a receipt and have the taxi drop you off in the hotel semi-circle no where else so that CCTV can get their information. Some pirate taxis will try to drop you 100 meters from the hotel to avoid the cameras. Staff were always friendly and helpful, particularly at reception and concierge. I also had the best most attentive housekeeping service of anywhere I have ever stayed.

Some previous reviews have mentioned the presence of "vice" in the hotel particularly escorts, etc. This is present in every major nightclub and hotel in Bucharest (and some minor ones as well) and many places in Central and Eastern Europe. I take this seriously because I don't want to be around that sort of behavior and I certainly don't want my friends and family around it. Having stayed in most of the major hotels, I can say that from my observations, the Rad has the least of these sorts of problems and I have personally observed security and other hotel staff ejecting such patrons from the hotel. While not perfect, I think the Rad does a better job than similar luxury hotels.

The only problem I had during my stay were disturbances on Calea Victoriei, particularly on weekend nights. Pirate taxis (those not affiliated with the hotel and thus likely to overcharge) stand opposite the hotel and try to confuse patrons into taking them, a small number of escorts walk between the Hilton Hotel on the next corner and the Rad, beggars and casino patrons walk through the hotel semi-circle. The hotel needs to do a better job of policing this single area and working with city authorities to do something about this. They particularly need more security staff and bellman after 11 pm on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to better control the semi-circle in front of the hotel.

Despite this criticism, I want to be clear that none of these problems made it inside the hotel and the hotel does position staff to make sure such problems don't make it inside.

The Rad is my choice in Bucharest and I would freely recommend it to colleagues, friends, and family. Bucharest is a challenging city, but at the Rad you are going to have as comfortable a stay as possible.

Room Tip: Some business class rooms have small balconies overlooking the pool area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank twainandwhitman
First of all we would like to take this opportunity and thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

We were very happy to read about your positive experience and most of all proud that we reached our objectives, the one of meeting your expectations.

In what concerns the pirate taxi companies in front of the hotel and the not so respectable persons that might be present in the hotel’s neighborhood, we want to guarantee you once again that we are completely against these practices and, as unfortunately these are public spaces in which our security team can not take action, we are all the time notifying the police representatives regarding their presence and in the same time recommending our guests each time to ask for our Concierge team’s support when taxi services are needed.

Not least, I am happy to hear that my colleagues could offer you every time reliable support and that you really enjoyed your stay with us.

On behalf of our entire team here, at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Bucharest, we would like to thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to welcome you again every time your travels bring you back in Bucharest!

Finland
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed for one night at this hotel. It is 5-star hotel and you get what you expect: great service, excellent facilities, comfortable and clean rooms. Good location, if you enjoy walking even old town can be reached by foot.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Because of my job i spent a lot of time here. It's a fantastic place not only for the excellence of the services level but you can find a warm atmosphere able to let you fell at home.
The Dacia Felix is a restaurant in which i love to have my breakfast more that in any other place in world.
The complex is in a strategic place of the city and you can go around walkin, by bus, by metro or by taxi... it's only your choice....
The SPA is simply the best one in the city.... World Class is the coolest Spa in Bucharest...
Do you want to know something about the tree pools ? Try them.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We are grateful for your kind comments and delighted to read that you enjoyed your visits within our hotel as for us our guests’ appreciation is the most valuable reward.

We look forward to your next stay!

Best Regards,

London
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The rooms were adequate as with business hotel chains, the lobby clean and restaurant good food. They did have to move me to another room late at night because of the noise from an event, which was kind of them.

But if I had a husband on a business trip here I'd definitely want to check the security video tapes.

Poolside were everything from super model couples, Mr Muscles, Mick Jagger wannabes, gangster types, families and American business men drinking beer in the pool with - daughters? No, teenage daughters don't cling like that and wear heels that high poolside. That theme was repeated enough to make it feel really sleazy.

What was really shocking was the price of bottled water in the hotel room.
Not my favourite, not a good feeling. Not recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deeplysuperficial
DanielaDumitrescu, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Bucharest, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We carefully read your comment and we would like to apologize for all inconveniencies. Our guests comfort is a priority for us and we totally understand how important a quiet environment is. Therefore we deeply regret the noise incident and hope that the new room offered by our colleagues was fully comfortable and up to your expectations.

In what concerns the pool area, I would like to add that additional to our distinguished guests, the World Class wellness center is also available for non-residents of the hotel, local subscribers for whom we guarantee that they are also respectable people. Therefore, we are in this moment investigating what happened and we promise to take all necessary measures for our hotel guests to fully enjoy this relaxing facility in a proper comfortable atmosphere.

In what involves the water price, we kindly inform you that our tariffs are similar to the ones from other 5 star hotels in Bucharest or the ones in premium restaurants in Bucharest. We do apologize if this caused an unpleasant situation for you.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as we always strive to find fast and reliable solutions for all notification coming from our guests and a good example is the Wireless Internet speed that we have recently improved to 100 Mbps following our clients' requests. This is why we strongly hope that we will have the honor of welcoming you again in our hotel and proving our engagement and the high quality of our services.

We once again send you our most sincere apologize for not meeting your expectations and thank you for staying with us on behalf of the entire team.

daniela.dumitrescu@radissonblu.com
Athens, Greece
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Everything is nearby and the hotel is near at any hot spot.
It has what you need in a short business trip.
Free Hi-speed wi-fi and above all don't forget to have your drink with a cigar at the bar in ground floor, a very cozy and relaxing place. The only disadvantage is the closing time, around 1:30 am.