“Friendly to humanity”
Review of Smokehouse

Smokehouse
Ranked #14 of 424 Restaurants in Chisinau
Description: Welcome to Smokehouse - Chisinau's first American BBQ Restaurant. We promise BBQ, Beer and Community. No more. No Less
Reviewed July 17, 2017

Very friendly staff, really good mix of guests from different places on earth. The place to be for beer geeks in Chisinau, with a handfull of really nice craft beer on tap, but their food aren't bad either.

Date of visit: July 2017
Write a reviewReviews (283)

Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

I ate here during a weekend visit with friends. I can honestly say that I was surprised by how the restaurant looks - it gives you the feeling of an authentic american restaurant. The food was very good (we had pulled pork sandwich and the big plate of ribs). Their pickled onion was great. Although the pulled pork was very tasty, some of the ribs had a little bit too much fat, but were still very good. The arnold palmer drink is also great. I was impressed by the fact that the iced water is free and so are the sauces. There is a great selection of side dishes to choose from.

Reviewed July 6, 2017 via mobile

We have been traveling to Chisinau for 10 years, and live here for two months every summer. First experience walking in it feels like home! From the great English, to the glass of water (instead of a bottle), to a one page menu (not 15) and lastly, the American style food without a Moldovan twist. Don't get me wrong, we love Moldovan food and culture, but when you're away for as long as we are, this is a breath of fresh air!! Thank you for a great experience- we look forward to coming again!

Reviewed June 22, 2017 via mobile

First impression was very good : english speaking and friendly staff, inexpensive prices for smoked meats.

Secondly, the experience was more mixed : the craft beer was good, fresh, tasty and well-priced. But the recommended ribs were dry.

Finally, the overshadowing disaster of the meal was related to the bbq sauce which was required for the dry ribs. I had been told by the waiter how small pieces of onion could create some problems with the sauce bottle (which might require shaking to unblock and told to be careful with the bottle). Nonetheless with soft squeezing away from myself, the bottle exploded with sauce all over the food, glass, table, and shirt and jacket.

I cleaned up and addressed the problem with the staff. I was explained that the same thing had happened earlier the same day and that management was aware of this.

I asked for the check and to their credit they asked me not to pay. As I was leaving with the meal half finished in disappointment that did make sense however.

I spent some time at the hotel cleaning of the stains. Having bbq sauce all over the front is not a great experience at any point in time. But on a holiday with limited clothes at hand it is very unfortunate.

For the dryness of the meat and this lapse of judgment I would not recommend going to this place

I did go back for beers later and again the staff was friendly and knowledgable. As a craft beer pub it works

Date of visit: June 2017
David S, Owner at Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2017

Hi Philip,

Firstly, I'm very sorry about the sauce bottle. Our sauce is all homemade in house from fresh ingredients daily. Unfortunately, at times a peppercorn escapes the attention of our food processor and can stop up bottles. I'm very sorry this resulted in such a catastrophe for you.

As to the ribs I also apologize for a poor experience. We are undergoing some major equipment repairs right now to our smoker and it sounds like a lapse in judgement on the part of our team as to whether or not they were up to our standards. I hope you give us another shot.

Obviously I am embarrassed whenever we fail to live up to expectations. I hope you had a good experience at Smokehouse the 2nd time and I hope to meet you should you come back.

David Smith
Owner - Smokehouse

Reviewed June 14, 2017 via mobile

I ended up in this place. Hungry and I took the large plate of pork ribs. Atmosphere really and very friendly service. I recommend the place for a day off from cholesterol. Anyway if you skip those there is still the craft beers. Very good. Probably the reason why they will become the next member of the EU.

Date of visit: June 2017