Cosmos Hotel
  • Restaurant
Hotel Meridian(Chisinau)
Jumbo Hotel(Chisinau)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewstrain stationseen better dayslike stepping back in timeroom was cleansoviet hotelspeak good englishbudget hotelsolo travellerthe air conditioningbuffet breakfast islocation is greatbit datedcentral locationstefan cel mareyogurtfridgemoldova
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Hotel Cosmos in Chisinau.

I arrived in Chisinau by overnight train from Bucharest and a short walk from the station (at the top of Yuri Gagarin boulevard) loomed the Soviet style sky scraper.

The reception staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and the whole hotel had a dated style which I appreciated. Our room was suitably brown, clean and tidy. We paid for a superior twin and got a terrific balcony at a decent height with a great view down Yuri Gagarin Boulevard.

It was only a 20 min walk into the town centre though the trolley buses were extremely easy to use and taxis were very cheap.

I loved the experience of staying in the Cosmos which harked back to very different times without affecting comfort.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ligger
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed in the Cosmos Hotel for 2 nights while passing through to the Ukraine. We had been looking to stay in budget hotels, to reduce the cost of the holiday, so after some research this hotel seemed to fit the bill.

We arrived at the bus station on a 8 hour bus trip from Bucharest, so we were pretty tired - however the hotel was just around the corner from the bus station - about a 5 minute walk.

Checking in was good - the staff spoke English and checked us in with no problems. When we asked about the area, where nearby shops/bars were and also how to get into town, they could not have been more helpful and took us outside to point out the lie-of-the-land! Excellent service.

As per the other reviews, the rooms were basic, but comfortable. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean and there was a fridge and TV with satellite channels etc.

Breakfast was fine - there was a choice of standard continental breakfast items, cereal and some hot food as well.

The location is slightly out of town - the hotel is located between the bus station and the train station - ideal for us as we arrived at one and left from the other. The walk to the town centre is slightly uphill and takes about 10-15 minutes depending on your speed of walking. There are some short cuts via the back roads that cut this down even further if you have the time to wander around looking.

Overall, this is a soviet-era hotel which has had very little in the way of renovation - however, this is factored in the excellent value price you pay. Anybody looking for a western-style chain or "luxury" hotels, really would be better off advised to look elsewhere. Saying that, if you just want a comfortable place to sleep in a good location - this is for you.

Room Tip: It seems to me that only a few floors are open as a hotel - so ask for a high floor if you can, as the views over the city are good.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank rheadworth
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The staff at the reception were very friendly and willing to help. They were quick and eager to help us with directions and making calls to a museum. The room, which was more like an apartment was surprisingly big and comfortable.

We asked the front office staff to notify the cleaning crew not to disturb us and that we won't be needing any cleaning. We had the "do not disturb" sign hanging the whole time on our door. One morning, before going for breakfast, the cleaning woman asked if we'll be needing cleaning, even though she already knew that we didn't, because we told her before many times to never clean our room. After telling her no again 3 times, we left for breakfast and then came back 30mins. later. The alarm that we installed ourselves turned on right away letting us know that someone set it off while we were gone. That same cleaning woman that we told not to come in, came in, got startled by the alarm and left. She was still on the floor, cleaning rooms nearby. We confronted her and she immediately admitted to it and said "but I just wanted to clean it". This is very, very upsetting and unacceptable. She knew that we were Westerners and no doubt wanted to help herself to some of our expensive stuff. Our alarm scared her away and saved our belongings. After this happened, we notified the front desk and it didn't seem like much would change after this. They really need to do a better job in hiring, screening and firing their dishonest cleaning crew. For this alone they get a 1 star.

The location requires lots of walking, unless you're going to the train station. The breakfast is the same every single day and gets tiring. The rooms could be cleaner and need to be refurnished, actually the whole hotel needed to be refurbished since the Soviet times. Our lamp for example was falling apart.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank romeopitbull
Reviewed August 7, 2012

After a night on the train from Bucarest we (my 17year son and I) were very well welcomed (in English and French) by the ladies at the desk in Hotel Cosmos. Although we were very early to check-in (9:30 in the morning) they did their best to get us a room ready as quickly as possible. Although the furniture in the room is maybe old, we had everything we needed : Airco, fridge, sat TV and a great view.
The hotel is very well located inbetween the train station and market/bus station. Just next to the hotel you find shops, bars. Based on location and price/quality this is a good choice, certainly if you’re coming from the nighttrain.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Kris V
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I’m trying to review all the hotels from abroad and I’m missing only hotels from Warsaw, Prague, Cahul and some small hotel near Bratislava, but to be honest I don’t remember the name of the hotels from this cities.

Anyway, I remember that back in the summer of 1999 I end up for 2 nights in Cosmos hotel in Chisinau and reading recent reviews, I can see that nothing changed. The furniture vas very old also in that time, the sheets the same and everything was from the communist era. From what I see, everything now is the same like it was 13 years ago. Is a pity that they don’t try to improve the things because the location is in the city center and they have lot of untapped potential. I would not recomend this hotel to no one.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends