“Stari fijaker”

Cuisines: Croatian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Too expensive food for the money, mostly artificially food without domestic taste. Not tasty. Even not local food. Just typical food for cheep restaurants in Zagreb.

1  Thank Mlinka

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stari Fijaker is definitely overrated. The decor is still as I remember it from my youth. A little makeover would not go amiss. The service was friendly, and the food arrived at our table fast. Perhaps even too fast. The food was not bad, but not great either. All was on the cold side, the soups were definitely tastier than some of the main courses. The desert was great. The table wine was not bad and all in all it was not a bad value for the money (around 200 Euro for a group of 8 who all had three course meals.)
Would I go there again? I do not think so. At least not for a leisurely meal with the family. If I were a tourist and wanted fast food (to be fair to the place, it is NOT McDonalds, but the food is fast), I would give it a go. The location is convenient, a big let down is the fact that it does not have a terrace. Punter beware, this is not a fine dining place. And not an English pub, either, because the food is not hot. And not a beer cellar either, because they do not make their own beer. It is just your average place to it in Zagreb.

Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

The great reviews this place has received absolutely boggle me, unless it has perhaps come under new management lately, or the menu has been radically revamped. When we visited last week (september 2012) we were greeted with a snort and raised eyebrows - should have trusted our instincts and left then. Alas, we listened to our stomachs and sat down anticipating a finely cooked Croatian meal. We were sorely disappointed. My boyfriend ordered what i can only describe as a deep fried stick stuffed with aneamic ham, and cheese. It was billed on the menu as stuffed veal, but there was no veal in sight. Both our meals were paired with greasy kebab shop chips. Waiters were miserable. 'beer hall' is a very flattering description, it was just a dark, soulless vault.

1  Thank bigcityweighting
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Great local food on a great location. Staff has always been so nice and friendly; you feel like you are at home. Cozy and warm atmosphere. I guess most of the food from the menu is my favourite- cabbage rolls, stuffed peppers, pancakes....Prices are very reasonable and I always come back there.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I first had no idea what Sarma was but I wanted to try it anyway as I had heard of "Sarma" several times while I was traveling East Europe. Now I know that Sarma = Rolled Cabbage ! I really want you to try if you have a chance to visit Stari Fijaker.
It is served with mashed potato. It is super. To my surprise, it is just 50 kuna. Also a glass of wine costs 15 kuna.

The restaurant itself looks very old, it is not definitely modern, sophisticated but when you sit in there, you will have a feeling that this restaurant and building have god a long history :-)