“Dont Stay Here...”

Guesthouse and Hostel Lika
Ranked #40 of 167 Specialty Lodging in Zagreb
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stayed here while travelling around europe. Have stayed in many hostels but this is the worst by far. The owner wasnt really with it. We arrived needing to use the wifi to be told that there was no wifi and asked him to look up bus times for the next day, which he was very willing to do and took my number but then he left and forgot to call or text. The hostel wasnt very clean and the mattresses were disgusting. The mens showers were communal and both bathrooms were dark and dirty. We even had to make our own beds with horrible linen. Not that near to the city center either. Dont stay here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TimTam2012
There are newer reviews for Guesthouse and Hostel Lika

Reviewed May 15, 2012

So I stayed here last month,and I have to say,Iv been to over 30 countries and stayed in many hostels in different cities and this is by far the worst I have ever come across!Not only the facilities but the owner is the most ignorant,arrogant and racist I have ever seen.For a guy who is dealing with different nationalities every day,I dont understand who he is a hostel owner.
On 1st day my friend and I arrived (both Irish),we sat out in the garden,the owner came rushing out and said "Get Out,their not finished that",we said ok and moved,asking which part could we go in and he made us sit on the step beside the front gate,soon after more guests arrived and as we were sitting on the step in their way we stood up and were chatting to some of them while some were checking in.After checking the guests in,the owner came running out and shouted"I told you's to get out of the garden", we were amazed at this outburst and said we had moved out of the guests way to let them in,and he replyed" I know your kind,always acting like bufoons"!!!!!.I dont know what that was supposed to mean!!

Later that night we went to the bar,now we had already put our stuff in the room and had seen and were talking to 2 girls from serbia,also in our room.
So when we come back from the bar at around 11.30,and went into our room,we noticed that there were people in our bed and were asleep.So we went to the owner and said we thaught someone was in our beds,and he said "dont be silly,i dont overbook",now we had had a couple of alcoholic drinks but we didnt think we were that drunk that we had walked into the wrong room,so we just double checked to be sure.again we went into the room and it was definatly our room,because i could see my stuff,and the serbian girl told us that she had told the owner that he had put the geusts in the wrong room but the owner had said he didnt.So we all went down to the owner and told him "look you must have over booked the room because our stuff is still there" and he snapped at the serbian girl and said "serbian [--]" in his language,the poor girl burst into tears,at the time we didnt know what he had said,but later she told us.
We were discusted,and only it was late,we would have left,instead the owner gave us a different room and told us to get our stuff from our original room in the morning,as he didnt want to wake the new guests! next morning,we got up early,grabbed our stuff,apologising for the intrusion on the guests and promptly left.I will never ever stay in a place like this again!!
Dispicable is all I can say!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank fine_diner_dublin
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Friendly staff, and very cheap but a total s***hole. Close to the city though so if you don't mind slumming it then go ahead. Stayed with friends and 'Marko' was very efficient and friendly but the rooms were quite dirty and the mattresses looked liked they'd been used for about 10 years previously.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Rubbish place, we dont want to remeber this place...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank themurt
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Rude, unfriendly staff. Shaken awake by a woman at exactly 10am in the morning saying it is time to check out after being told night before checkout is 1030. Need to leave a large deposit for 3 keys you have to use just to get in your room. Construction on beer garden so it was closed and construction noise very loud in morning. Staff refused to let me leave my pack at the hostel for a couple hrs after checkout until my train left, 1st out of 12 hostels that would not allow this, and very rude about it. And it was not crowded at all, so space was not an issue. Reception closed up at night, pillow was huge and hard, felt like sleeping on a beach ball. Poor experience, do not reccommend. Only positve, it is very easy to find, but not close to center at all.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Alan T
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The warmest of welcomes! The hosts are great, very friendly and helpful. The location is good, easy to find thanks to the yellow feet! Short tram ride to the bus and train station, and centre of Zagreb. Very clean, especially the bathrooms! I was very impressed! Room was spacious.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 1, 2011

So, basically this judgement is based on a 2-part stay.

- The internet was down the first time I arrived. I was immidiately told, that it would be fixed next day. Nothing happened. 2 days later he then told other guests that "it will be fixed tomorrow". And this went on a couple of times, but it did not happen. Eventually after 10 days (which was my last day of the first part) it worked. Hurray.

- The toilets are lacking such a basic thing as soap. So you have to bring your own.

- The upper bed in the 6-bed rooms dont have any safety net, so you can easily fall out (and it will HURT, trust me). The door is not working properly either.

- One British guy told the owner kindly that the plugs in the room didn't work, but he replied that thay did work. (and the plugs didn't didn't - I stayed in the same room)

- The guy comes and goes all the time. So people have to call him using their own phone

- The owner tries to lure you into writing good review on the internet by giving you false promises. Due to circumstances (girlfriend) I had to stay in the hostel for long periods. In the first part of my stay he first promised me half price next time I came and then right after he promised me a job. Neither of it was ofc. fulfilled. During my second stay he wanted me to write a good review of his hostel. He would even bring me a laptop next day so he could get it - and he is also very persistent in trying to persuade people into writing reviews so he "can go in the top"

- I overheard a conversation between him and antóther man where he almost bragged about himself not being afraid to throw out people.

- He charged me more than Hostelworld.com said in the email "due amount to pay"

- You cant eat your own food in the garden. And it has no kitchen.

- Its noisy during the mornings. Good luck trying to get some sleep.

- The guy is always trying hard to make a good impression, where as you can feel that it is only because of business, and not because of his personality. The owner is trying to make money out of everything and really aggressive - which I will tell you about in a minute. So as I mentioned earlier, I have a girlfriend in Zagreb. He knew that, and always tried to sound interested and helpful. But halfway into my second stay I wanted to cancel the remaining days of my booking. I went to ask him kindly if I could get back my money for the last days that I wanted to cancel (I didnt have much money, but I even offered to cancel from the next day), but he just told me "no, no refounds". Suddently he didn't care about "me and my love" anymore? Of course he didn't, cause he would loose money. But I thought there was a misunderstanding. Cause nobody would want to keep my money for a service they haven't provided? It had to be a misunderstanding, but later it turned out that it wasn't. So I brought my girlfriend to ask him kindly in Croatian - and she did - but the first thing that came out of his mouth was "LEAVE" with a finger pointing to the gate. He then started to be really aggressive and shouting and eventually he called the police. He stated that I had no right to cancel since I booked on the internet, and this is not true, which I knew. So I told him, that he could show me the paper saying that, and I would leave immidiately without any complaints. But then he just shouted and screamed even more and told me "and you bring you girlfriend here??". No idea what that meant, but obviosly he had no evidence of whatever he was trying to explain. I even offered to shim him my email with the booking + terms and conditions, but he refused and kept shouting and being aggressive. So basically the police came and I had to leave Lika without the 700 kuna that he stole. So if you end up in an emergency and this hostel is your only choice, then at least be sure only to book one day at the time. Just a good advice.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo