“Great central location, good quality rooms and excellent service”

Best Western Premier Hotel Astoria
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Zagreb
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“Great central location, good quality rooms and excellent service”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Popular 4 star hotel 10 minutes walk from the main town square and 2 minutes from the station. Staff are excellent and service very good, efficient and friendly. The rooms are very clean, well equipped and quiet. Food is good rather than excellent although breakfast was very good. All in all I would higfhly recommend as it is very good value too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MrCreosote21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I decided to plan a short weekend break to Zagreb, Croatia. Booked 2 nights at Best Western Premier Hotel Astoria and would have to say, was very worth it! From the beginning since checking in, the staff were extremely hospitable and friendly. My boyfriend and I do not know the language at all and made an attempt to communicate with the staff this way. They were very kind and helpful and gave us key words to use for our trip.
The hotel is situated in a convenient location within walking distance to the main attractions but yet in a quiet area. The road had nearby shops and restaurants if you do not want to walk too far. The room was very neat and clean and the staff kindly put a small chocolate on your pillow each morning. Breakfast was included and they offered a wide variety of foods to choose from so what ever you fancy, they definitely had.
Would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to visit Zagreb!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica M
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over the weekend on a friends 40th. The rooms were great value for money and everyone was very helpful. The location is a short walk to the centre of town. This also means the location is quiet

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Switzerland
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Location close to the railway station was perfect for us. And the things you want to see in Zagreb are all within walking distance.
Had a room not facing the road which made for a quiet night's sleep with an open window.
Room well appointed with a safe and generous bathroom.
Breakfast was very good with a big selection of healthy food.
Wifi worked no problem in the room and lobby. Staff friendly and smiley.
Would stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank A_Blue_Sea_Shell
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed in this Best Western for two nights early March, when travelled to Zagreb for a business trip.

The location is good, most places can be rached from the hotel on foot, although it is not in the "exact" city centre. Personnel was kind and helpful, served us faast and very professionally. Room was neat and clean, though maybe a little bit on the small side. I had to move the table from the end of my bed to actually fit on it (am 1.93m tall).

Shower was clean and shower amenities were great (Yves Rocher shower gel and shampoo).

Breakfast (included in my room's price) was planty and the seletction was one of the biggest I've ever seen.

Would highly recommend this hotel to stay both for business or pleasure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Istvan_Mak
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed at Best Western Astoria Zagreb for 5 nights. It was a big compromise to do so as I’ve already been dissatisfied with Best Western in Europe.

I chose the Best Western based on T.A. reviews. The hotels closer to the city center didn’t have good enough reviews and others were too far away. I thought perhaps Zagreb Best Western might surprise me. Well, it disappointed me. It is a drab, dated hotel in great need of at least a paint job . The room is small. The restaurant staff is slow or doing nothing. The walk to the city center is a good 10 minutes at a brisk pace and not so pleasant under the rain. If being near the train station is a priority, it’s an easy walk even with your luggage.

The positives: reception staff are friendly and helpful if you ask for anything. Housekeeping always smile and greet the guests. They have cold water and lemon at the bar at all times. Check in/out were hassle-free. I was able to pay for everything the night before. Close to the train station. That’s it for the positives.

1. I reserved a King room as the rooms seem small on their website. A King room is for two, right? Well, there’s a King bed (2 beds stuck together) with ONE end table.
2. There is only ONE suitcase rack.
3. There is not sufficient closet space for two people
4. The safe is on the floor in the closet. If you have any back or other health issues that might affect you bending down a couple of times a day, this can be a big problem. Not only that, but with the closet door closing on my hand and I, almost in a handstand, I accidentally pressed the wrong button twice and blocked my own safe. It was quickly taken care of by a technician.
5. The walls are paper thin. I can hear one of my neighbors coughing, talking, clearing his throat and woke me up one morning from his vomiting. I also heard them during their more intimate moments. It felt like what must a be a 1-hour motel. I imagine my TV at night might’ve t been a bother to my neighbor on my other side. I had to turn it on to tune out the couple next door.
I met an older couple who had the same complaints. Their safe didn’t even function.
6. The bathroom: counter space is just enough for one person. The shower is a tiny cubicle. I’m not tall nor big but any averaged size man or a bigger person would have great difficulty in that shower. A couple of times I accidentally turned off the water as my elbow hit the lever. To put a towel over my head, I had to open the shower doors. Tiny and uncomfortable.
7. The bed mattresses are soft. The pillows are so soft and thin that they have to put 2 on top of eachother to make them usable. At least they did do that.
8. Evening restaurant was serviced by one waiter who was nice enough but not once came over and asked if all was well and to my satisfaction. Also, I had to always wait for him to pay my bill. The food was good but the soup was too salty.
9. Breakfast buffet: it looks big and full. Firstly, nothing is made fresh, not the eggs nor the crepes/pancakes. They’re simply kept warm. That’s fine, some big chain hotels are like that although this one is independently owned and operated. There is a small sign indicating that we can ask for freshly made eggs. The “fresh” orange juice tastes like watered down Tang and medicine but I soon found out that BW wasn’t alone in this. It was the worst oj I’ve ever had. Next, the coffee: It was either filter coffee or coming out of a Nespresso machine which spouts out more milk than coffee. I was given a funny look when I asked about fresh espresso. So that too was a big disappointment. The breads are so thinly sliced and small that they cannot pop out of the toaster. The croissants taste like something you buy at a grocery store. A couple of days they had 2-3 choices of cheese, other days a couple of more were added. Some of the granola and cereal were clearly from the bottom of the box. There is staff that stand and walk around, not sure what their role is, other staff check the availability of the foods but not once did they collect the plates at my table. They don’t provide big enough plates to add on most of what you’d like to eat so a collection of 5 plates accumulates at your table and is left there. Nobody does a thing about it. I’ve never experience this apathy before.
10. The bar area is not inviting at all, has old lumpy furniture. There is the occasional smell of cigarettes or cigars although in the room a Non-Smoking Policy brochure clearly indicates that smoking is allowed only outside. It’s possible that the guests sitting at the bar had smoked and the smell was still on their jacket. There is also filter coffee in a thermal mug at reception, right at the entrance. I wouldn’t touch it. Also, they play Celine Dion at reception all day, every day. I fly all the way to Croatia to hear Celine Dion?

My suggestion: stay somewhere else.
If you must stay at BW, look into a suite.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Israel
Reviewed April 9, 2013

from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, every thing was excellent.
the reception, rooms, car parking, breakfest, there was no fault at all those.
and all this just five minuts walk fron the city center.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple