“Crna Mlaka - simply must visit”

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Crna Mlaka Bird Reserve is situated only 14 km away from the Jastrebarsko and not far from Zagreb. Ornithologists have identified around 230 bird species, and in 1980 Crna Mlaka becomes a special protection reserve. Recommend to visit

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I have made three unofficial visits to the reserve when I was in Croatia as a guest of the University Medical School in 3 separate years and each visit was more unpleasant than the previous, entirely because of one man who is evidently some kind of guard.

On the first visit, I was accompanied by my Croatian host at the University and there were no problems. On the 2nd visit without a Croatian guide, we were told to leave by this guard – this was near the end of our visit anyway and I assumed we had mistakenly entered one area that was “off limits”. On the last visit (2006), however, the same man accosted us in a very unfriendly way as soon as we had arrived. Of course, we tried to be as friendly as possible and did exactly as he asked, but it was still my most unpleasant memory of Croatia.

I do appreciate the need to regulate access to nature reserves with permits and it is very good to see that hunting and shooting is being prevented by good security, but the guard should have explained to us the need for a permit in a friendly way and also how to obtain one. Instead, he simply said NO – NO ENTRY ALLOWED – THIS IS A COMMERCIAL FISHERY.
There were signs at the reserve entrance but only in the Croatian language which unfortunately doesn’t help.
It’s all very puzzling for a foreigner because Croatian government tourist websites are actually promoting Crna Mlaka as a tourist attraction, but I could not recommend it from my own experience there.
If anyone has visited more recently and the situation has improved, I would very much like to know.

5  Thank Glenn M