“I came open-minded, but fled sleepless...”
Review of Garden Hotel

Garden Hotel
Ranked #40 of 58 Hotels in Zagreb
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“I came open-minded, but fled sleepless...”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

First off, the breakfast is very good, I was served a perfect and pancakes by order.
But, I could not enjoy it because I hardly slept more than 20 minutes in one interval -- more or less the duration between two trams or loud motorbikes droning along the street right next to the hotel. The location (on one of the busiest intersections in central Zagreb with several tram tracks) would not be such a nuisance if perhaps the window glazing was appropriate: my grandmother had better windows in the 1930's. Before arriving to the hotel I read some of the reviews, but resolved to give it a chance. It proved an unwise choice as I was there for business and truly needed a good night's sleep and rest. Additionally, the central-air system started emanating breakfast smells into my room before 7 am, so I guess that was my wake-up call.
The bathroom had the cheapest blow-drier possible as it did not blow even lukewarm just cold air, and my toilet seat was disgustingly dirty. Perhaps the other rooms not overlooking the main street are more comfortable, but the hotel, without an elevator and hygiene lapses, does not deserve four stars. However, as with many other cases, it comes down to what you expect and what you are used to.

Room Tip: Avoid street side rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Reviewed April 28, 2014

A simple 3 star hotel (they say they have 4 stars) with a simple comfort and excellent location. (15 min walking distance to city center).Very friendly staff ..Good beds and bathrooms..Simple,satisfactory and good value for money..Breakfast is extra (10.euros).. Free internet and working...)) The biggest disadvantage is the little noisy environment,because of tram and main street..Recommended for short business stays..

Room Tip: Rear side rooms are more quiet..
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Sarajevo
Reviewed February 23, 2014

When I stayed at Garden Hotel it was quite new in June 2013. It is centrally located just 1 kilometer away from the main railways station and also just 1 kilometer from Ban Jelacic Square. Very easy for public transport (there is a tram stop). Spacious room with a clean bathroom (shower cabin), LCD TV, comfortable beds. A very good value for money for quite expensive hotels in Zagreb.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MirzaMM
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I recently travelled to Zagreb on business and stayed at the Garden Hotel. Although my room was not all that spacious, it was decent enough for a single occupant. I had problems with the air conditioning and my room was a tad bit too warm for my liking, but I could get by without complaints. Service and staff were approachable and friendly and they helped me figure out places in Zagreb. Even though the hotel is not centrally located, I was able to conveniently use the trams to get to the city square. All in all, not too bad an experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PolitMoodiTraci
Sydney
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed in this Hotel for more than 5 nights. After reading the reviews I was concerned about the room air conditioning. The staff advised that the temperature in each room is controlled at a centralised point. (I have no idea why). There is no lift and was allocated a tiny single room on the ground floor. The bed was small and quite uncomfortable. I suspect a double bed would have filled the room.

Be cautious when you give this hotel your credit card details. Its not as a holding deposit like most hotels but they deducted the full amount of the stay on receipt of the card details.

On the positive side the reception was helpful with tourist information and once you master the tram system the hotel is well located for trams into the main square and to the railway station.

Cheers

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Aus_Solo_Traveller

Travelers are raving about these Zagreb hotels

Stawell, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is generally good,,,,,,,,,but Not four star, The temperature in my room was 34degrees,,,,,,when asked about turning on the air conditioner, was told the air conditioner is on automatic and could not be turned on, [what does that mean?] and to open a window,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I payed for three night ONLY stayed one night could NOT take the HOT room,,,,,,,,,,,did not want the refund,,,,,,,,,,,,,just wanted to get the hell out of that HOT room,,,,,,,,,,,The only time I was offered another room was when I was packed and leaving the Hotel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Staff note: Always ask your customers what they would like, 1. noisy room but nice and cool,,,,,,, or HOT room but quite. My choice would have been COOL room,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nada D
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The Garden Hotel has very friendly staff and a really good location. The rooms are clean and some of them spacious. However, while we were there, the heating couldnt be turned off despite the fact that we told the staff everyday that the heating worked too well. Infact we had between 25-32 degrees in the room!!! It was a very unpleasant expeirence, because I was sweating all night, my throat dried out and I got sick at some point because I had to open the window to cool the room. My stay in Zagreb was very exhausting as a result and I wanst quite healthy and it was really bad because I was for work there. The breakfast is too expensive for the city and the quality. The managment shoud rethink their prices for the breakfast. The free wifi and the free maps are really good !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business