“Good Times - (as per Chic!)”
Review of Hostel Chic

Hostel Chic
Ranked #17 of 167 Specialty Lodging in Zagreb
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Bright, clean, modern hostel ideally located at the back of a quiet, mid-town courtyard between the main station and the city square below the cathedral, The hostel's central location and good rates make it an ideal choice for the budget traveller and which on balance I would definitely recommend.

Hostel Chic offers 3 twin/double rooms and we stayed in the same room (No. 3) on both the outward and return trip to be close to the station for late arrival and early departure to and from Munich.

The room is spacious with a great shower, but one cautionary note - all three double rooms are located at the top of the entrance staircase against reception, with No. 3 actually inside the entrance door and therefore not separable from the reception/common area. The reception area sounds 'hollow' and noise is amplified and echoes from this room across the door and window of room 3. If the hostel is busy, or in our case on the second stay the receptionist engaged in a long conversation with a shrill American female voice, you are going to be badly disturbed. Rooms 1& 2 may be smaller, but they may be a better option with the ability to reduce any potential noise by closing the main door.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank merrellj
There are newer reviews for Hostel Chic

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The room is spacious and spotlessly clean. The mattress and towels are very soft and comfortable. The staff offered us good advice on where to get what we want (local cheese and beers in supermarkets on a SUNDAY when most shops are closed)

You can find very good deals of exchange from Euro to Kuna, just next door. But it only opens from Monday to Friday (maybe Sat morning too, but not sure)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Iris_Pak
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Well, i needed a shelter for one night near the train station, as my train was going to depart in the early morning. Breakfast was not needed, so i opted for the Hostel Chic, because it was not far away from the main station and cheaper then all the other places around the main station. Was is it a good choice ? Well, it was okay, but it really didn't live up to my expectations.

The hostel is not far from the main station (5 minutes walk i would say) and easy to find. It's in a backyard, near a big road, but street noise wasn't an issue. My room was directly at the entrance of the hostel, so everyone who came to the reception or the other rooms was going by my door, which is usual not a problem, but here i felt slightly uneasy about it (i will explain later why). And, i had the feeling that everyone could look well into my room onto my bed, as the window was also very good reachable for everyone.

The room itself was rather spartanic, IKEA style. Clean, but very basic. Two beds, a small tv, a small chair and a closet. Everything made bit of cheap impression. At least the room made a clean impression. The bathroom was also clean, but basic too. The room was also not very big, but on the other hand, i must also admit that i didn't pay that much for a supposed double room for 2 person (56 EUR).

The biggest gripe that i really had, was the staff ! At first the guy at the reception occurred very friendly. He demanded cash payment again, which meant i had to take a long walk again to find an ATM (don't expect any ATM in Zagreb to spill out small money !), but apart from that he tried to explain me where to go for sightseeing (there is nothing in this city to see, really !) and eating. But after returning from my room, i made the mistake of asking where the remote for the aircon is located. I actually really thought that at 56 EUR per night there would be aircon in the room. Well, i'm not insisting on air-con, but i had just spotted the air-con machine in my room and thought that someone might have replaced the remote for the machine. And so i asked very nicely about the remote. And he got really tempered. He was getting very loud, asking me what i would need the air con for ? I said it's hot in my room ! He replied that it is not hot ! I said that's maybe his point of view, but i thought it was hot ! And he again told me in a very rude way, that it is not working, as they shut the system down, as they thought it not yet hot enough. Well, in the end he was suggesting to me that i should open the door if i need fresh air ! Yeah ! Sure, everybody is walking by when they go the reception and i sleep with an open door. Well, i opened it for some minutes, but thats it. And this guy totally ruined my impression of this place.

My sleep was okay. The bed mattress was not really of high quality and the room was of course to hot. But i had no noise experiences whatsoever.

Verdict: Overall it's okay, rather basic, but that was somehow expected. What really destroyed the impression, was the rude behavior of the receptionist, when i asked for the air con remote. Well, maybe he had a bad day, maybe the heat was getting to his mind, but for me thats a no go. If a guest kindly asks a question, you can always politely say no. But don't become loud or rude.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 3d-razor
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed for 1 night and it was great. Very clean and the staff were very friendly, we were allowed to leave our bags the day we were due to check out and use the kitchen which was very convenient as we were catching an overnight train. We would definitely recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BethCallaghan123
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights. I booked a bed in the 8 bed dorm but when I arrived I was moved into the 6 bed dorm by myself which was awesome!
Nice and tidy and clean. Had a shared bathroom but I don't even know if there were any other females there because it was always clean. Small kitchen was easy to use for quick meal.
Ask easy to find, and conveniently located close to train station and other helpful places like super market. .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Carla T
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very new, clean, good location, very helpful and friendly staffs. I was there by end of April which is not a high season yet so end up I was the only one to occupy the huge 6 bed dormitories room, shared bathroom was so clean and with good facilities too. I also arrived very late, almost midnight but the staff who speak fluent English was there waiting for my arrival and helping all he possibly can. Very impressive and highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank junya_and_gangs
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have enjoyed my stay in this conveniently located close to the city center and main train station new hostel. Nice atmosphere, clean and bright rooms, good cooking facilities have been a good addition to the charming city of Zagreb.
Big thanks to the helpful staff!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo