“Good regional museum”

Zagreb City Museum
Ranked #33 of 243 things to do in Zagreb
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A somewhat skewed history of the city.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a good museum in that it clearly explains about the city and its very varied history. It gives you a good sense of the culture as well as the architecture. Some good paintings too.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The museum is located in the old City and it is hard to find. Although the sign indicate the direction, you cannot see the sign until you get really close. We spent nearly an hour in this pretty museum. There were 2 schools visiting at the time as well. It is a way to learn the City History and get a fairly good idea of how life was in Zagreb during the last 100 and so years.
I recommend a visit to this and to the Croatian museum.

1  Thank Panathinaikos-13
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I visited this museum last summer when we traveled through Zagreb. I was interested in learning more about the history of the city, since it was clear from walking around that it has Austrian as well as Slavic influences. The museum takes you through the history, from early on with the original tribes, to how the city became the Upper and Lower Towns, to the Nazi era, and the Yugoslav war.

I was very disappointed, though, in how little it covered the most recent war. It seemed to me that they really glossed over Zagreb's involvement, possibly because they didn't even want to acknowledge that it had been involved. It would have been interesting, though, since obviously Zagreb is the capital and all of the main Croatian players were in the city at that time.

Overall, the museum was worth it, and wasn't very expensive. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon inside out of the heat.

*If you like this review, I appreciate you clicking the 'helpful' button; those of us who write reviews live for helpful votes and it motivates us to write more :)*

1  Thank skipitgood
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I think the title says it all. I've been there three times already. A great place to learn more about Zagreb and its history and culture.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

The museum is centrally located in the old town. It's full of interesting artifacts and explanations about the history of the capital, without being overwhelmingly large and expansive. I have taken visitors there for visits ranging from 1 hour to 2 hours and no one has been disappointed.

1  Thank YodaHB