“Great location if you have a car”
Review of Hotel Ilica

and 1 more site!
Hotel Ilica
Ranked #55 of 59 Hotels in Zagreb
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I liked this place because it was within walking distance of the old town, but far enough away to work with our rental car. They have a small parking lot in their courtyard, and I emailed them beforehand about bringing the car. The staff was very helpful in helping me get parked (tight squeeze, like a lot of Croatian towns!) (Contrary to what one of the reviews here said, they didn't keep my car keys.) Beware, one of the staff members seems to be quite a tease and you might be offended if you don't know he's just kidding around. The rooms we had were the two twin rooms--super small, but definitely workable. I slept well.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Me and my girlfriend decided to stay at this hotel for a few days while visiting Zagreb and we simply loved it. The staff was really polite and kind, they were always available to give us hints on where to lunch and what to do. The room was clean and had everything we needed. Breakfast was simple but very good.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Hotel staff was horrifying. The receptionist did not want to give me the keys from my car and advised us to come next morning at 7:00 when the guy who charged us for parking would be present. Using a threat to call inspection and police he managed to find the key and introduced himself like the owner:( On the other side, other personal ware very polite.
The walls are too thin, so the next door opening woke me up at 2:00 am.
Terrifying! We were happy to leave

Room Tip: Do not check in on weekend.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dzinda
Reviewed July 23, 2014

hotel is situated in a very good place. In the centre of the city, close to the market and shops.
There are problem with places for the car, but they usually have one if you inform earlier.
I didn't like the breakfast. Iwas twice in this hotel. Once during weekend (I have seen many tourists)- there was bigger choice for breakfast but not very good, when I was in the middle of week - there was really poor choice.
Generally hotel is nearly in style of russian tzar.
But it was ok and worth money.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Agnieszka T
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I had one big problem on my arrival in Zagreb and stemming from my train from Bratislava being four hours late (See my review for B&B Domino there). When I arrived at 1am to find my B&B (understandably) dark and locked and had to trudge back towards the centre of Zagreb, the hotel with a night porter I found was the Ilica. In fairness and given my predicament, it was excellent and I should not complain - and certainly not about the monolingual night porter who was very welcoming and did his best, a good best, to help me.

Once ensconced in the room, in what is a sort of adjacent annex but effectively a part of the hotel, I looked at Tripadvisor and read the cautions and nightmare stories in the Ilica entry. Would I have taken the risk of staying at Hotel Ilica when I booked in at 2am? I do not know. However, there I was so I took extra security precautions, including boobytrapping the door against the proprietor, and had an uneasy night's sleep.

I rose deliberately early and went to pay the bill and retrieve my passport - so as to be able to evacuate at once if needed. The young man on reception spoke good English and was efficient. Then to breakfast .... and here the criticisms are justified: little variety, unpalatable bread, thin orange juice and jam: an inadequate repast for a day of walking along streets and in museums and galleries.

Wishing to make a quick getaway after breakfast, I soon took down my bags and handed in my key; at that point I met the owner (I presume!?). He insisted upon checking I had checked out and my passport had been returned but was civil. I escaped.

Only later did I reflect that, other than of the mean breakfast, I had no cause to complain and owed some gratitude.

I was taken in in the early hours without a booking or reference of any sort. The room was clean and the building seemed modern and without any instances of the broken lamps and disintegrating showers noted in other reports here. The staff, owner too, were all civil.

Was it all in the mind and inserted there by some Tripadvisor reports?

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Dog-On-Free-Range
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I choose this hotel for its location and its price. It is located within the main street of Ilica yet you could enjoy a quiet environment. Was impressed by the interior setup of the hotel! Davor and Branko as well as another senior gentleman who was on the night shift were very friendly and helpful. Free wifi, free drinks all day long, and the tram stop is just across the street. It was easy to find the hotel from the bus station, where I arrived from Opatija. Printing facility was also made available. It is also, in fact, within walking distance to the Cathedral.

Room Tip: If possible to get the room not at the corner on the hotel ground floor, as I saw one review mention...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank hongching
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I lived in Zagreb for several years and walked by the arched entryway many times without thinking much about it. Needing a room on short notice at a pet-friendly hotel, I turned to booking.com and suddenly I remembered the great location on Ilica near Britannski Trg! The price is right, too!

Filled with an eclectic collection of art from the gilded age, it's a nice respite from the busy street below, and yes, there's parking! Free WiFi too!

Room Tip: Lots of photos on the web from which to choose
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple