Palace Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$131
Travelocity
$69
$67
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgreat locationtrain stationart nouveauold world charmold townoldest hotelbeautiful parkhistorical buildingthe main squareold styleclassic hotelcentral locationbreakfast roommajor attractionsreception staffcomfortable roomsfew minutes walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hotel is very well located, just a short walk from the old city opposite a park with several museums. Nice area. It is a classic old hotel which has been kept reasonably updated, but could do with another makeover of both the rooms and the breakfast salon. I stayed on the 4th floor - far back in the hotel. The room was quiet, a bit small but quite comfortable. The breakfast was adequate and the staff was polite without going the extra mile to be friendly and make you feel welcome. All in all a good place to stay, when in Zagreb, but not worth a trip in itself:-)

Room Tip: I don't know if rooms closer to the front of the hotel are more modern - but they might be noisier because of the tram outside.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This grand old hotel is in a very good location near the center and train/bus station. It's a bit dark and some finishes are worn and need refurbishing (e.g., carpet and wallpaper), but it is clean. The staff are very professional and helpful. We appreciated the assistance we received when we arrived and needed to dispose of a rental car. Our room on the first floor was just up a staircase from a private banquet where a party was being held until 2am one night, which affected our ability to get to sleep one night. The room was quiet when there was no party. The expansive breakfast, which was included in the room rate, was very good, and made this an excellent value.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the party/banquet rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MER1
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Palace at the beginning of a 2-week Croatian tour, and 2 at the end. Our first room was a standard double, which was located in the back on the 4th floor, but then down a little stairway and into a back hall. The room was small but comfortable with no view; it was adequate save for it being a bit too hot (what was supposed to be some sort of air conditioning unit was dysfunctional) and way too steamy after a shower. The latter posed a real problem for my wife, who hates humidity and steamed up mirrors. Fortunately there was a door between a small foyer area which included the bathroom, so this could be shut to protect the main living area while I fanned the bathroom and hallway doors for 5 minutes after each shower to de-steam the mirrors (there was none in the main bedroom area). The hotel, as so many have stated, is charming and the staff are lovely. I noted someone having a problem with luggage; just ask the front desk and you will find the bellmen to be extraordinarily helpful, as we did.

The breakfast offered is truly ample and the best hotel offering we found in Croatia. There's even a bucket with free champagne and some sort of brandy for those so inclined. Fruits, cereals, veggies, sliced meats and cheeses, bacon, sausages, omelettes, scrambled eggs, french toast, potatoes, yoghurt, packaged miso soup, various coffees and teas, and even a "macrobiotic" offering of oats and additives. Then, of course, there is the Zagreb štrukli, a pastry filled with cottage cheese which is a house specialty see:
My very health-conscious spouse loved these, to my wonderment. At the end of a breakfast, when they were out of them, she asked the staff about it and they had the chef cook up a couple of large, exquisite štrukli especially for her. Which brings up a comment I saw about cold food and lack of chafing dishes. You might be surprised at how eager to please the waitstaff is in the dining room. If you want something made especially for yourself, just ask; they seem delighted to accommodate special requests. Amazing.

During our stay, we considered relocating because we didn't find the room terribly pleasing. Before doing so, we asked to see some larger rooms and were shown the section comprising rooms classified as "comfort" rooms. These are closer to the elevator and are much larger, so we managed to book one of these for our return. On moving into the one we were assigned which was on the 1st floor just at the top of the staircase and having a wonderful view overlooking Strossmayer Park (hint: get a "comfort" room and ask for a park view). My wife was very happy; she felt as though she'd moved from a 3-star hotel to a 5-star for just a modest bump in the price. The room was cool, well-ventilated, nicely furnished, and had great mirrors (including one of those illuminated magnifying ones in the bathroom).

One last thing. Within a short walk is the Boban Restaurant, to which a Zagreb friend (a retired press foreign correspondent) introduced us. We returned several times and were always pleased. It's a good bet and not expensive. But for a truly wonderful meal: Trilogija (which my very well-travelled wife thought one of the best restaurants she'd experienced in her life.)

Enjoy the Palace. You'll be glad you stayed there.

Room Tip: "Comfort" room facing the park.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Antonkai
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I really enjoyed staying in thesis hotel. The hotel had an old theme. The rooms were quite hard to find as there was lots of 'in the middle' floors. My nan and grandad struggled with carrying bags around whilst trying to find our room. The hotel is very near the centre and takes minutes to walk to the square. We all really enjoyed our stay at the hotel, the staff were very pleasant and welcoming. The WiFi in the rooms was excellent. Also the room service was quick and enjoyable

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here three nights and loved the location, not far from the old town, and staff, pleasant and professional. I actually stayed in 3 rooms, all comfortable, though none with much of a view. (I suspect that on the park side of the hotel there are some nice views.) I don't normally stay in grand old hotels, but this was very nice and reasonably priced for the amenities offered.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple