“Old hotel - still some charm in it”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Palace Hotel

Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 60 Hotels in Zagreb
Madrid
“Old hotel - still some charm in it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had a nice time in Zagreb and the Hotel was nice. It has an old flavor in it and quite a good breakfast. Staff is quite attentive to guests and helpful. It has probably seen better days, but it is a good place to explore the city.

1 Thank Intendente

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Old world charm, in a good location opposite a lovely park and on the tram route so easy to access. We caught the bus from the airport and then the tram from across the road from the bus station.make sure you find out your stop though, but if you catch the number 6 tram you get off 4 stops from there. Our first room that we were given was so tiny so asked for an upgrade it didn't cost too much more and a much better room. Perhaps the deals are only on the bad rooms anyway.! Not only was it tiny but it had no aircon and we couldn't open the window. The upgrade was good value anyway and great breakfast selection.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank kiwijokers
seattle, wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We only stayed one night, it was one of those transit days. The service was wonderful and friendly, from the front desk to the servers at breakfast. The things I liked about this hotel were that it is in a classic old building. It is very centrally located, just a short walk from the train station and the center of town. It is across the street from the park and was a quiet location, despite being on a main road. I got a great rate at booking.com only paying a little over usd100. Our room was pretty small, but worked for us. I would definitely stay here again. Also the breakfast was included.

Room Tip: we stayed on the fourth floor. I think the lower floors have higher ceilings.
Sequim, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Lovely old palace that has been made into a hotel. Located just 5 minutes walk from the town square and there is a trolley stop right in front. The large park across the street stretches for several blocks and during the summer there are live bands and dancing in the evening in the park. There is an ATM just a block away, and a money exchange with minimal exchange . I stayed here as part of a group tour and was traveling solo. My single room had just what I needed to be comfortable, but I had to spread my suitcase out on the floor to have it opened up. The bed was comfortable and my room fronted a small side street and was very quiet. I was able to open the window at night and have fresh air. My room was very clean and I really enjoyed coming back to it for some quiet time in a busy schedule.
Breakfast was very good and many things to choose from. You could put together a very healthy and hearty breakfast. They even had soy milk on the buffet, which is sometimes hard for me to find. Staff was extremely friendly and eager to help with questions, directions, etc.
The bathroom is very small, but it had adequate lighting for applying makeup. As usual overseas, bring your own washcloth. There was adequate light at the desk to read and write in my journal, and outlets to charge my Kindle and MP3. There was a large safe in the closet. What a gem in the heart of downtown.
Unfortunately, crime has come to Zagreb and a female teenager got into my back pack and took my camera. But a friend that was traveling with me was astute to the fact the perpetrator was too close and checked my pack and when he saw it open kept the girl in sight. I walked up to her on the square and demanded my camera back, and to my surprise she handed it back to me! Lucky this time and a reminder to ALWAYS keep the zip pulls locked!!
A highlight of our tour of the city was a visit to the Native Art Museum. Ride up the funicular and it is in the old part of the town. Fascinating art style. I found a small artist coop gallery not far off the town square (right behind the big "egg") that sold some of this art at very reasonable prices. Loved Zagreb and would go back again and stay at the Palace Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sqwimmer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

we stayed 1 night in Sept before heading off to tour Croatia and Bosnia. That was a mistake - we should have stayed longer.
Zagreb is just beautiful and the Palace Hotel really does feel like it was a previous home to royalty.
Walking distance (5 mins) to the centre of town, lovely park across the road, superb rooms (and showers that have great water pressure!!!), breakfast was superb, ambience of the hotel is something else. If Humphrey Bogart walked in you would not be surprised (well, maybe a little).
Rooms are reasonable in size, beds are very comfy, quiet and clean. Nothing more you could ask for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank terry-neutralBay
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

A beautiful 4 star hotel in the heart of Zagreb, that is a close walk to everything that you need to see. Comfort rooms are lush, breakfast buffet included, staff attentive. The hotel made our stay in Zagreb even more special!

Room Tip: If you have booked a "standard room", then ask for an upgrade to a "comfort room"...
1 Thank GaryFeld
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I'm not sure what the story is here, but I suspect several existing buildings have been combined to make the Palace, as the floors keep going up and down in a confusing way, but it was comfortable, quiet, and pleasantly located. We only went there because the Astoria was going to be full on our return to Zagreb, and it looked nice and well-placed.

We had heard that Zagreb cabs are notorious as cowboys, so we asked for and arranged a private car to go from there to the airport to fly on, and that was no bother. In fact, nothing seemed to be a bother.

But they do Olde Worlde very well, from the decor to the service, and everybody should experience a hotel like this at least once. To see what I man, look at the photo I took of one of their ceilings (I had to lie on the floor for this shot, and even that did not worry them!).

The breakfasts were also memorable, for good reasons, unlike other memorable examples which made the category because they were so awful.

For those with limited mobility, see the note about stairs below.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have more stairs involved, even when you get to the designated floor in the lift.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple