“Clean, 20 minutes walking to the city centre; friendly staff.”
Review of Hotel Fala

Hotel Fala
Ranked #24 of 59 Hotels in Zagreb
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Clean toilet and shower. Good breakfast. Clean and light dining hall. Very friendly and helpful staff.
Air-conditioner worked quietly.
The room was good to overnigth but too small to stay all day long.
Unpleasant: the window of our room looked out on the corridor, there was no daylight in the room at all.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Plural

Reviewed November 18, 2009

I choose Hotel Fala as it is comparative cheap to the other hotels in Zagreb. I stayed for two periods there – from 13 to 15 Oct 09 and on 24 Oct 09. I was very impressed by the amiable and enthusiastic staff there.

Although Hotel Fala is not in the city centre, it can be easily accessed by bus. It is only 5 minutes away by bus from the town centre.

I was given two rooms for a look for my first stay. The first room is on the second floor of the main building. The second room is on the ground floor of a separate building which is 50 metres away from the main building. I picked up the first room (with twin beds) as it is more close to the reception. Although Josipa could only speak little English, she was very kind to offer as much help as she could. She boiled hot water for me and gave me the water flask and a cup.

When I came back in the evening, I was asked to return the water flask as it would be for the use in the breakfast time. I was given a water kettle for use instead.

I was also grateful that they could let me leave one of my luggages in their locker before I came back on 24 Oct night. Moreover, I was thankful for Jagoda’s help to phone the airport bus to pick me at the bus stop close to the hotel for me.

The staff in Hotel Fala are hard working and multi-tasking. They not only do the reception work but also the washing task in the kitchen.

I stayed in the separate building for my second stay. It was less desirable as in the main building. It was quiet apart from the fact that occasionally I could hear dog’s barking from the next doors. That’s why I would recommend for requesting for a room in the main building.

I would give the highest rating for this hotel as I was greatly appreciated by their wonderful and wholehearted staff.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank nemo_aussie
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Rooms looked like something that a travelling salesman would stay in the communist era. However, rooms were clean and the staff friendly. I also had no problems in walking to upper town, and my level of fitness is average. Rooms were small and outdated, but as long as your expectations are not too high, a great cheap option for Zagreb. The area appeared to be very safe.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2009

I had a terrible experience while staying at this place. I came to the reception in order to change the room and they told me to switch to another room.
afterthan they accuse me to break in to this room in which the previous guest forgot his lap-top in. They even gave this guest a photocoy of my passport!!! (which of-course they shouldnt have) and threaten me that he will press charge against me in the local police.

this place is a nigthmare

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2009

staff are extremely impolite to customer, and they gave incorrect information as well.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Yes this place is a fair way out of town, but the public transport system means its no probs going anywhere. The hotel itself was great value and out room was very clean and included TV & AC. The hosts were friendly and helpful and there is free internet to use. Breakfast was good with eveyrthing you need included + some breakfast schnapps if you are so inclined! We enjoyed our stay here & would definately recommend.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Gringravitas
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Just wrapped up 10 amazing days in Croatia which included one night in Zagreb which I spent at Hotel Fala. Searching online via Orbitz, Travelocity, etc for hotels in Zagreb, I seemed only to find very expensive, five star types of accomodations which were beyond what I was willing to spend. I found Hotel Fala listed in my Lonely Planet guidebook to Croatia and decided to give it a shot.

As has been previously stated, it's a small family run operation. Rooms aren't fancy but they're more than adequate for my needs. They were very clean, bed was comfortable. They even have internet access for free. Wifi and a public computer in the loby for guests to use. Didn't get a chance to try their breakfast as I left rather early to catch a bus.

A few of the reviews have complained of the location and the long walk to the rail station. While it is true, it is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel to the rail station, there is a bus station literally right across the street from the hotel that will have you to the train station in about 5 minutes. I didn't get much of a chance to explore the area around the hotel as I spent most of my time in the city center, I did eat at a restaurant recommended by one of the women who works at the hotel. The restaurant, Maria's Bell (don't reall the name in Croatian) is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and the food was quite good and reasonably priced.

One last point, which I believe has been stated by others here. Though the hotel overall was adequate, the area where it really shines is the staff. I had the chance to interact with two different women working at the front desk and they were so helpful. They provided me great directions for getting to the city center, the bus station, etc.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank alone_in_a_crowd13