“Out of town, but great value”
Review of Hotel Fala

and 1 more site!
Hotel Fala
Ranked #24 of 59 Hotels in Zagreb
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Yes this place is a fair way out of town, but the public transport system means its no probs going anywhere. The hotel itself was great value and out room was very clean and included TV & AC. The hosts were friendly and helpful and there is free internet to use. Breakfast was good with eveyrthing you need included + some breakfast schnapps if you are so inclined! We enjoyed our stay here & would definately recommend.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gringravitas

Reviewed November 1, 2008

Just wrapped up 10 amazing days in Croatia which included one night in Zagreb which I spent at Hotel Fala. Searching online via Orbitz, Travelocity, etc for hotels in Zagreb, I seemed only to find very expensive, five star types of accomodations which were beyond what I was willing to spend. I found Hotel Fala listed in my Lonely Planet guidebook to Croatia and decided to give it a shot.

As has been previously stated, it's a small family run operation. Rooms aren't fancy but they're more than adequate for my needs. They were very clean, bed was comfortable. They even have internet access for free. Wifi and a public computer in the loby for guests to use. Didn't get a chance to try their breakfast as I left rather early to catch a bus.

A few of the reviews have complained of the location and the long walk to the rail station. While it is true, it is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel to the rail station, there is a bus station literally right across the street from the hotel that will have you to the train station in about 5 minutes. I didn't get much of a chance to explore the area around the hotel as I spent most of my time in the city center, I did eat at a restaurant recommended by one of the women who works at the hotel. The restaurant, Maria's Bell (don't reall the name in Croatian) is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and the food was quite good and reasonably priced.

One last point, which I believe has been stated by others here. Though the hotel overall was adequate, the area where it really shines is the staff. I had the chance to interact with two different women working at the front desk and they were so helpful. They provided me great directions for getting to the city center, the bus station, etc.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank alone_in_a_crowd13
Reviewed May 30, 2008

The Fala is family run, to the extent that I was awoken one night by the sounds of the young children running on the ground floor, and may well be one of the few reasonably-priced hotels in Zagreb.

First things first, though. It's a long way from just about anywhere. The walk to the main train station is a good 15 minutes, and add an extra 5 if you want to arrive in the centre of town. That said, despite appearances, it's a safe area. I never felt at risk, and indeed the locals agree with me on that one.

Overall, I'd have to say this is a good example of an average hotel. The breakfast isn't great, but fills you up, the rooms are clean but not stunning and so on. Directions to nearby restaurants from the hotel were a bit odd, though, as my experience of the realities of the streets were very different to the pencil maps drawn by the staff.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Professionalwanderer
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Zagreb hotels have a reputation for being overpriced so I was glad to find this one such a pleasant stay.

The hotel is on the main highway to the airport so would be good for a stopover if you're coming back from somewhere else. 10-15 mins walk to the railway station (or there are buses) and then another 10 min into the city centre. It's also extremely close to the Croatian national library so would make a good base for a student/researcher. Room facilities are better than you might expect for the price - the fridge and a/c were both very worthwhile on a June visit.

NB all rooms have a window but one or two look out on an internal atrium rather than anywhere outdoors.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2007

The most helpful and pleasant staff I encountered anywhere on my recent 6 week trip. On my last day, the hotel had arranged a pickup by the airport bus at 5am in the morning. When I arose on this wet morning, the young man at the desk carried my bag out and waited with me until the bus arrived - he even tried to rest my heavy bag on his foot so it wouldn't get wet or dirty! (so sweet, but no I didn't let him). Although a budget hotel, I had a very pleasant stay here. Rooms are basic but nice and clean, the breakfast was very nice and compared very well against other places in Croatia. It is a bit of a walk to the city centre, but I did it every day (or you can catch public transport).

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank gataki
Reviewed September 27, 2007

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Fala. Its easy to find and close to Airport. We all enjoyed the stroll into Town, probably 20mins but didnt seem far away really.
There's a small bar literally 2mins away where you can get a beer til late. Literally just around the corner from the Hotel, theres a little shop, tabacco shop and bakers shop.
The staff in the Hotel were all very friendly, lovely people.
I can honestly say that we will definetely be staying at Hotel Fala again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Speedway28
Reviewed June 6, 2007

I had a very enjoyable stay here. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and gladly answered the many questions I had. Breakfast consisted of the basics, which I liked and ate plenty of, but in addition, sometimes the staff will make special dishes for you. The rooms are clean, as stated in other reviews. Just be careful with the bathroom sink faucet - there's something about its angle which makes it easy to get water sprayed onto yourself. One small downside is that there isn't much in the immediate area, especially late at night. However, going to the city center is easy - the bus stop is nearby (with trams at each of the following 2 stops), and when coming back, there is a stop right in front of the hotel. If a simple hotel would suffice for you, then this place is an excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo