“Lap of luxury needs a facelift”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Westin Zagreb

The Westin Zagreb
Ranked #14 of 60 Hotels in Zagreb
Birmingham, Alabama
“Lap of luxury needs a facelift”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

My husband & I stayed here for only one night during a tour of Croatia. When we arrived at the hotel my jaw dropped. It was definitely the nicest hotel I'd ever stepped foot into, much less stayed in- despite my many travels. The lobby was exquisite. We arrived in our room & while it was smaller it was still beautiful. Unfortunately, we learned that despite the beauty of the place, it was in need of some repairs. The safe in our room did not work & we were unable to turn off the water at the sink without it running out from the knobs. We didn't bother asking to have either repaired since we were only staying one night but we did find it ironic that this was the most luxurious hotel we stayed in throughout our 12 days (& 5 hotels) during this trip & it was the one in need of the most TLC. If we had been paying (what I'm sure is dearly) for this hotel rather than our flat package fee, I probably would've been a little more upset. The hotel is fairly close (within a brief walk) to the main square & most shops & restaurants. The next morning we had breakfast in the dining room. It was buffet style & it was phenomenal! We had gotten used to the typical euro breakfasts of cured meats & breads but I was delighted to see lox & capers & other assorted fresh foods. The beautiful dining room was decked out with the place settings & tuxedo-ed servers. The hotel definitely puts on a beautiful face but it could use a few minor repairs to make simple tasks doable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julie M
Darko R, General Manager at The Westin Zagreb, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Westin Zagreb hotel and thank you for sharing your impressions. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your comments in regards to the lobby, the hotel room, our restaurant, breakfast ... Also, we will look into the points you are bringing up. Thanks once again and I hope to be able to welcome you back. Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Morganville, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

Stayed here during our Gate 1 tour of Croatia and Slovenia. Although billed as a 5 star hotel it's not. However, even being a bit "worn" it was acceptable. We found the room to be reasonably spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was also clean and of a comfortable size. The room faced the main street in front of the hotel but was not noisy. The hotel is in a good location and we walked just a couple of blocks past the university and into a shopping/business area of Zagreb where we found the Nikola Tesla statue.

The hotel staff was friendly and made change for us without issue. The breakfast buffet was good but not great. We'd stay here again without a second thought.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ANDODI
Darko R, General Manager at The Westin Zagreb, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Sir, thank you for staying at the Westin Zagreb Hotel and thank you for the kind feedback. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back. With our best regards
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

I was there on a business trip and admired the beautiful hotel, and the amazing view from my 13th floor room. Breakfast was also very nice - a perfect way to start your day. Good location, just a corner away from the historical city centre.

I have two negative remarks. There were rusty needles under the window in my room and when I opened the curtain on barefoot I stepped in one of them. However, they said sorry for this at the reception, when I mentioned that it is pretty dangerous, I felt that the staff member did not take me seriously - I know people who actually died from sepsis, so it is not funny at all. They could have offered me something or a reduction from my room price which was over 100 EUR...

Then I asked them to call me a cab by 2.30pm as I had my bus departing at 3pm back home. They totally forgot to call me a cab - thank God I double checked with them and did not just sit and wait in the reception area until I miss my bus back to Vienna. It took anyway ages when the second cab arrived and I had to run to catch the bus - you surely do not need this stress as a fault of the hotel staff.

2 Thank Magdi B
Thank you for staying at the Westin Zagreb Hotel and thank you for sharing your impressions. I am sorry and apologize for the inconveniences you are mentioning. We discussed the issues you are mentioning, especially the issue regarding the situation happened in your room. We will work with our housekeeping team on the improvement regarding to the room inspection procedure. I apologize once again and I hope to be able to welcome you back and that you at that time will be able to see improvements. With our best regards
Parsippany, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

When I travel to Zagreb for either business or pleasure - this is my home away from home. I am a seasoned business traveler and, as such, I am quite insistent (or rather demanding) on having things "my way". The staff at the Westin knows in advance of my arrival and prepares all my "amenities" exactly the way I like them and I repeat IN ADVANCE OF MY ARRIVAL. It's incredible that they never forget and they get it right every time (even down to the requested scale in my bathroom). I can't say enough good things about the Westin and especially about the incredibly friendly, efficient and accommodating staff in EVERY department. I particularly like the warmest of welcomes from the front desk staff. What can I say ...It's home.

2 Thank Davor G
Darko R, General Manager at The Westin Zagreb, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Sir, thank you for staying at the Westin Zagreb Hotel and thank you for the great feedback. We are very happy we succeeded to fulfill your expectations and would truly enjoy to welcome you back upon next opportunity. With our best regards
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

The Hotel definitely is lacking soundproofing. The windows are only consisting of one piece of glass and are not shutting properly at all.
As the area is quite busy at day and night, you really feel like you are sleeping with open windows all the time.
Besides this, the walls are paper-thin and you even can hear people snoring in the next room.

However, as location, view and breakfast are quite nice, they really could get back to the best Hotels of Zagreb if they would invest on those topics.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with city view as they will face directly a huge street-crossing.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank reiselust_ch
Dear Sir, thank you for staying at the Westin Zagreb Hotel and thank you for sharing your impressions. Regarding to the windows, we have the intention to change the windows in the near future. Thank you for the good feedback in regards of our location and breakfast. We are looking forward to welcome you back upon next opportunity. With our kindest regards
Pula, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

Travelling on business I always come back to the Westin. This time I had a room on the 6th floor with wonderfull view over Zagreb. Features of the hotel are: downtown location, excellent service and friendly staff . They never fail ...
I have used only B&B service. Breakfast certainly has a big choice, it can please everyone.

3 Thank Sanja_20132013
Dear Madame, thank you for staying at the Westin Zagreb Hotel and thank you for the great feedback. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon. With best regards
Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

Stayed one night recently and wasn't really satisfied. First and foremost I arrived by car and tried to stop at the hotel entrance to get some help with my luggage and possibly with the parking. There is a parking area on the surface and an underground garage as well, however I had no idea which one is available, especially that there was a conference like event and the whole place was crowded.

Then the hotel valet arrogantly sent me away from the entrance; I tried to ask him where could I park, but we couldn't find a common ground since I tried to talk to him in English and he was arguing with me angrily in Croatian. Then he suddenly left, luckily I managed to find a parking place in the corner of the parking lot, and hauled my luggages to the reception...

The rest of the staff was much more nicer. The rooms are good, nevertheless during my stay the weather was rainy and very cold. Despite of the low temperature (as others already mentioned before me) there was no heating at all! From late afternoon basically I was freezing and there was no way to switch the air conditioning to heating mode.

Also, there was a problem with the internet access, the network was down for like 10-20 seconds in every minute, making it impossible to work or at least a very tedious experience. When it worked, it was really fast.

Breakfast was ok, with a decent selection, but nothing stellar. Also, there were no slippers in my room, which was kind of surprising at such a hotel.

Anyway, the hotel is not so bad and I guess most of these issues are one time only, however the lack of heating was a serious killjoy.

1 Thank B_K_7903
Darko R, General Manager at The Westin Zagreb, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Sir, thank you for staying at the Westin and thank you for the feedback. Sorry you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay, however we appreciate all your comments. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced on arrival. I already discussed it with all my team. Also, we will look into the points you are bringing up. Thank you once again for staying with us and I hope to be able to welcome you back. With our best regards.