“Central and good level”
Review of Hotel Dubrovnik

Hotel Dubrovnik
Ranked #5 of 59 Hotels in Zagreb
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very central and therefore a good choice if you plan to do some sightseeieng. My single room was not very big, but it was clean and well furnished. Toilet was small but clean and very warm. Comfortable bed. The hotel does not view the central square, so the view was not great. WiFi is available throughout at no cost. The lobby has also a bar, but there is no space for just casual sitting or working. Reception was friendly, they checked me very early in the day.
Breakfast is served in the adjecent reastaurant and was good, although more on the savoury than sweet stuff. There is a parking available.
Altogether a good choice particularly for those who want to remain central and for business.

• Stayed: February 2013
There are newer reviews for Hotel Dubrovnik

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on business at the recommendation of a co-worker. The room was nice, and the staff was helpful and friendly. Other reviewers have said that they did not understand english, and I imagine this might be the case for some complicated requests, but I had no trouble making myself understood, nor ordering at the restaurant.

The hotel breakfast was excellent—a good variety of hot food, bread, coffee and tea. I had mostly fresh fruit, yogurt and muesli for breakfast, but also tried the eggs and some of the other offerings, and all were quite good. The coffee was not slow-food quality, but it was better than average.

The hotel restaurant did not shine at dinner—I ordered a Pizza Margherita, and got a cheese pizza with an olive in the center. Perfectly edible, but not what I was expecting. The sparkling water here is incredibly bad, though. Do not order. I could not finish it.

The free internet that comes with the room worked well, although it was not entirely trustworthy—they do some filtering. So if you use it, use secure protocols, and maybe set up a tunnel for your DNS traffic.

My remark about "the right room" isn't based on having got the wrong room, but I reserved a "Deluxe King," which was very reasonably priced compared to the Esplanade. The room was spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and well appointed.

My room was in a newer wing of the hotel (my colleagues who did not order the deluxe room were in the other wing, but did not complain about their rooms, so those rooms are probably okay as well). The public areas in the new wing were nicely decorated, with an open atrium in the middle.

The hotel is right off the town square, and there were lots of shops nearby, plus a frightening array of sausage stands—if you are into sausage, this is clearly the place to be. The tram system runs close to the hotel, and will get you around town if you have the time to figure out how to use it. I unfortunately didn't—it was a busy two days.

I might be tempted to try the Esplanade next time I'm in town just for comparison, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The biggest asset of Hotel Dubrovnik is its location right on the main square, with a lot of restaurants within walking distance.

I had stayed in Hotel Dubrovnik a couple of times years ago and then stopped because price-value in my opinion were not right - everything from the attitude of the people behind the reception desk to the interior design and the quality of the breakfast were just inferior and not worth the money.

As I've seen the hotel advertising its new rooms on a booking portal, I decided to give it a try again. What can I say: nothing had chanced. I got an old room. The breakfast was as horrible as it used to be. Also the communist-style attitude of the staff hasn't changed. So I was disappointed.

Because I was curious I asked how many rooms they have already renewed - they told me less than half .. so I guess I'll wait for another year or two until I come back. Hopefully by then they will have real orange juice and real coffee for breakfast too and some of the people working there will have retired.

Room Tip: ask for new rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank koberecker
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The location of the hotel is excellent if you are sightseeing. However, being right on the main square, you can hear a lot of street noise. We were staying during advent and every night, a few times each night, there was a loud concert in the square, which we could hear clearly in our room. When there weren't concerts, you had street performers right out front that you could also hear. Interestingly, we did not have a problem hearing other guests from our room, but the noise from the street was very loud.

Some of the staff were very friendly and helpful. They went above and beyond during our 7 night stay. Others were just so so. The breakfast was nice every morning. We ordered room service several nights and enjoyed the food (and the prices in Zagreb for food, in general, were excellent. Very affordable.).

Overall it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel just prior to Christmas. Being situated on the old square we were treated to the nightly free concerts in the square as well as the host of Christmas market stalls. Trams were no more than 10 metres away. Staff were exceptionally helpful and courteous. The hotel restaurant represented excellent value for money. Rooms were comfortable and spotlessly clean. Free WiFi was in the room.

Room Tip: Even rooms on the square have very effective double glazing to keep out the noise
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed here this week, just after a foot of snow landed one night. Had a new wing room which was very quiet and heard nothing from the main square. No coffee / tea making option alas. Food in the restaurant was bland, if filling; vegetarian options looked better. Breakfast was far better with a good choice; a few corners cut on quality and delivery alas.

Reception Manager was a star in fixing taxi to the airport, after one ordered failed to appear and walked me to the taxi rank.

Happily stay again, but Zagreb in the winter is not at it's best.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FortsFan
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here couple of times (4-5) when came to Zagreb for business. It's really at the heart of the city. If you like silence, this is not for you. There are always social activities and concerts in square till late night. And you can hear them as if they are singing in your room.
It has its own restaurant with many food options. When you call room service the lady has poor English and always passes the phone to a guy :) Wifi is free and good coverage in all floors.
Also I would suggest to stay in a double-bed room even you are single, because single room quite small. A huge guy may not fit in the shower cabin.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business