“City break”

Sheraton Zagreb Hotel
Ranked #9 of 59 Hotels in Zagreb
Reviewed March 14, 2014

An excellant hotel close to the city centre, in easy walking distance.
We used the swimming pool which ws a decent size for a city centre hotel and very clean. Rooms were very clean and comfortable and serviced daily. A good selection of food at breakfast. Extremely good value.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
4  Thank Lynn S
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Lynn,

How wonderful it is to hear we made the connection with you. Thank you for sharing your impressions; it is much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us extra special, do not refrain from reaching out to me - it will be my pleasure.

Mario

Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed March 11, 2014

When you decide to go at Sheraton you are expecting similar levels all around the globe.
Unfortunately this is not a case here. The position of the hotel is excellent- less that 1 km to the city center. Rooms are enough big but it is obvious that the golden ages of this property is far beyond. Being there in the late nineties I still remember polished brass and wooden surfaces. Now it is a bit outdated.
Personnel are still kind and useful. Claustrophobic people should avoid this place because it is not possible to open window in the room not even a few centimeters- only source of "fresh" air is air condition.
The breakfast is Ok but not awesome like I'm expecting at 5* hotel. Orange juice is sweet, yellow water!
To conclude: 5*price, 4* service 3* accommodation

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Goran H
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear GogiKastav,

I truly appreciate the fact that you cared enough to share your impression. I cannot help but feel disappointed that we did not seize the opportunity to connect on the occasion of your last stay. First and foremost, thank you for staying with us. Our breakfast is generally one of our strong suits, both in terms of selection and quality, but thank you for voicing your opinion; I will certainly follow up and look into the juice "issue". We have loads of rooms on inventory that open, so that situation would not be an issue in the future as we would be familiar with your preferences. It is reassuring to know that there was a positive connection with our staff. That is something that I take great pride in, and I thank you for taking notice - personalized service, profesionalism and excellence are the principles we live by. On a final, but important note, I would like to point out that we are in the process of rolling out a consequential refurbishment of public areas, F&B outlets, meeting rooms and guest-rooms. We would love to have you back!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

It is typical Sheraton properties with good and bad sides, however this hotel is one of our favourites in Europe and globally. Very friendly staff at reception desk, extremely helpful, any extra need is never an issue.Very spacious rooms, clean, although some refreshment would be welcome.
The breakfast is really gorgeous, huge choice of different dishes, charcuterie, fruits, granola...
Hotel has very convenient location - it is within walking distance to National Theatre and Opera, to the biggest concert hall Vatroslav Lisinski, 10 min walking from older part and main square.
Whatever reason I stay in this hotel, business or private, with husband or kids, I always feel very welcome, like an old friend.
The price lately dropped a lot, it became very affordable for everyone, specially if using some offers.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Dvorjanka1
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Dvorjanka1,

Reviews the likes of yours are truly reassuring; thank ou for your kind words of encouragement. The connection is what we work towards with all our guests and it is fabulous to see that we consistently reach it with you. We tremendously appreciate your loyalty and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us extra special, do let me know; it will be a pleasure!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We chose this hotel after good research on trip advisor and other sites, having been to a host of Sheraton hotels in UK and around the world, I felt confident, despite mixed reviews, I thought people were just being a bit picky and the same standards would be applicable as the Sheraton like to promote.

I really dislike giving a poor review, because I tend to try and put a positive spin on things as they crop up during the stay, however, this hotel is classed as 5 star and those of you reading this would no doubt will be paying a 5 star price and expect to receive 5 star treatment, as I did. I'll let you make up your own minds.

Hotel in General

Decor is very tired and well worn certainly needs addressing for the 5* tag
They seem to cater and focus on the business sector, therefore, in the 4 days we were there in Feb 2014, we actually saw no other people using the restaurants, cafe, or bar area therefore, could not really sample the food as did not feel like sitting in an empty room.

Rooms,

Quiet, and traditional Sheraton style with the rest of the hotel ( tired & worn).
The windows to the room were sealed shut, we had to rely on the air conditioning unit to bring in fresh air.

Unfortunately, all it managed to do was input stale dry air from the bowels of the hotel, making the rooms very stuffy to the extent of having to leave the room door open to try to receive clean air.

The bathroom extractor did not function and all fittings were somewhat dated. The bed sheets were not changed during the stay, even after requests, the towels were changed only once even after asking.

Only 1 bathrobe in the room and were told to share, it gets better.......,

The tea/coffee cups/ food plates were not changed during the stay, or even taken away and the 'with complements' courtesy tea, sugar and powdered milk, were only applicable for the first day!!! any other tea bags required were charged to the room, 3 tea bags cost £10.00 uk pounds, this I was presented with at check out, so take your own.

Spa/Gym

Gym ok no issues here, manned and a good selection of working equipment, as normal it is open to the general public so choose you time, obviously day is a quieter period.

Spa.

Pool ok never crowded during day but evenings can get a bit hectic.

The changing room facility, to use spa & pool & Gym, very cramped, soaking wet floors, only two places to sit on to get dressed, hot humid and grotty. this shall make my local council facility a 10* if there was such a thing.

Sauna/Steam/Jacuzzi

Sauna & steam rooms fine the rest areas were dank and dismal due to the fact 90% of the lighting was not working, that coupled with the lack of non slip flooring made the whole rooms very slippy and dangerous, The outside Jacuzzi was not working and it appears has not worked for some time, when questioned at reception, the glib reply was, 'welcome to the Sheraton' that says it all!

There were no towels or robes on my 2 visits to the '5*' spa, only sheets which resembled bed linen, now I know why my bed linen was not changed as all the spare sheets were in the spa area!!

Staff

The reception staff were keen to assist for most of the time, although very humour less and it seemed a chore to answer where particular areas of interest to visit, so we battled on with our FREE A4 map of Zagreb only to find out on the last day they normally supply a selection of guides to make your stay more enjoyable, day one would have helped.

Location

A tad off the hustle and bustle of the centre, therefore, no immediate local shops for snacks or provisions, 15 mins to the main square, the hotel seemed to be located in a commercial business area, hence the lack of shops etc. The city is wonderful, colorful and friendly and would recommend a visit to anybody at any age.

All in all, the attention to detail was extremely poor, it may be a Croatian thing ? , but I expected the same Sheraton standards we have enjoyed previously. As stated from outset, I hate giving a poor review, but the 5* billing offered, falls woefully short of an true experience you expect.

All the points above were noted at the time to various staff, but either they did not care or could be bothered. So in true Brits style, I too could not be bothered and resolved myself not to go to the Sheraton again.

Room Tip: Third floor is designated as a non smoking floor, any room to the front should suffice as the back h...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Nick89,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed account of your stay. First and foremost of all, I am very disappointed that we were so short of meeting your expectations; sorry about that. I am not one to make excuses, and with that said, I would like to underscore that I am closely looking into each and every one of the critical experience points you brought up. It may seem a little misplaced from your perspective, but I nontheless feel compelled to point out that we are really on the ball in terms of service excellence, otherwise. How unfortunate we did not make the connection! In reference to your observations with respect to the hotel's physical condition, I can tell you that we are in the process of rolling out a consequential refurbishment of all public areas, F&B outlets and guest-rooms. I would love nothing more than to show you that your experience was an unfortunate exception to the Sheraton Zagreb's true face and spirit. Come back - you have my personal promise that we will make the connection next time around.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

At my first visit in Zagreb I was lucky enough to stay in this property. Very nice rooms, free wifi which worked well, coffee/tea facilities, excellent breakfast including champagne, fantastic food in the restaurant, more than friendly staff

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank gullabella
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear Gullabella,

Thank you for setting time aside to share your impressions. It's a charm to know we connected, and moreover reassuring to assume you'll be back next time you visit Zagreb. Please do advise if there's anything we can do to raise the bar when you do revisit the Sheraton Zagreb.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Went there in spring 2013.The hotel is outside still in the same shape, as it was when it opened, also rooms.It is a classic 5 * business hotel, in walking distance 15 minutes to Zagreb City center.The time to its complete rennovation is slowly coming.Staff professional , except cleaners sometimes forgot to take glasses if they were left in front of our doors.Breakfasts are rich, we liked them, lobby bar pleasant to sit in the evening.

Room Tip: classib double room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ales A
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Ales,

First and foremost of all, thank you for opting with us on the occasion of your recent visit to Zagreb. There's an abundance of hotels to choose from, and I appreciate your loyalty. It's reassuring to hear that we were on top of the game, and we delivered on a pleasant stay experience for you. Thank you for sharing your impressions on TA. I've brought the point of the glasses in the hallway with my Housekeeping and Room Service teams; that's a great tip - I appreciate it. I look forward to your coming back, so please reach out and contact me if I can assist in making your next connection with us even more memorable and fulfilling.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

After a fabulous few days in Zadar, we travelled to Zagreb, we booked this hotel as we have stayed in The Sheraton Group Hotels all over the world and have always been happy with them standard until we checked into this hotel! We had booked a non-smoking room so on check in that's what I expected only to be told they had none left and she was not apologetic about it at all, we refused to except it and after much debate with staff we were finally given a non-smoking room. On our walk to the room we noticed the carpet was dirty and had holes everywhere, which is a little discerning,the room was fine but would probably be 3 star standard.
we decided to visit the pool and hot tub next as the outdoor hot tub was one of the features that we had seen on the hotel website and looked forward to after the long drive,so we returned to reception and asked them where the leisure centre wasand was the hot tub open the gentleman on front desk rang down to the leisure centre and spent what seemed like an eternity dialling different numbers to find out but said he got no reply. When we went down ourselves the friendly girls in the spa told us that the hot tub was not working and hadn't worked in months, now presumably the reception staff would have known that!!! The pool is tiny with a low ceiling making it feel claustrophobic and as other reviewers have said it only comfortably fits a few people! We decided to get changed and go out for a meal, as it was raining I asked at reception for a complimentary umbrella (a simple request to any hotel especially a so called 5 star) and I was told they were all gone after complaining for a few minutes I was given a tiny cheap umbrella and told it belonged to a staff member and warned not to lose it, I was also told by this same lady on reception in a very condescending manner that I should rethink my choice of footwear if I was that concerned by the rain and put on a pair of runners, might I had we were going for dinner and I was wearing a dress hardly the usual manner to treat guests!Suffice to stay we spent as little time as possible in this hotel and checked out the next day, we raised our complaints on check out but unfortunately they were given no consideration.
We travel a lot and I would normally always have positve feedback about the hotels we've stayed in but I would definitely not recommend staying in this hotel, it needs a serious overall and is not Sheraton standard!

Room Tip: avoid the hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nicola c
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Hi Nicola,

I appreciate you're taking the time to share your sentiments about your stay with us 4 months ago. I'm sorry that we fell short of your expecations and I regret not having had the opportunity to fix things while you were with us. Excuses are not my MO, so I'll simply apologize for not delivering on a WoW experience for you. In the event you do come back to Zagreb, and you were to give us another opportunity, I'd personally see to it that you feel that Sheraton Connection you were expecting, but didn't get in September. We can do much better, I assure you. FYI - we're in the midst of embarking on a major refurbishment of public areas, F&B outlets and guest-rooms. Come back and witness our transfromation.