“A perfect Autumn break in Zagreb”

Esplanade Zagreb Hotel
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Zagreb
London, United Kingdom
“A perfect Autumn break in Zagreb”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Esplenade Hotel Zagreb after reading about it's history and refurb in a travel magazine. I like old style Grand hotels and this proved to be no exception.
From the moment I arrived the staff were helpful and courteous and made me feel very welcome. They had kindly upgraded my room so I benefitted from one at the front with the best views eastwards out over the square and with the morning sun. As it was my first time in Zagreb Tom the concierge became my 'personal' advisor and helped point me in the right direction for whatever I was looking for.
I drank in the bar and had tea on the terrace but I didn't take breakfast or dinner at the hotel as I was out exploring.
I would readily go back to the Esplenade and Zagreb - both were highly enjoyable experiences and ones I'd be very glad to repeat. I felt I received excellent value for money and Zagreb as a city has lots to offer a visitor for a short break. The weather was so perfect that it kept me outside and therefore from visiting the wide choice of museums and galleries which just gives me an excuse to go back again in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a view over the square
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in this classic, exquisite hotel. We had a spacious room complete with a refrigerator mini-bar, free wifi, robes, slippers, and even a complementary shoe shine service. The large bathroom had a huge bathtub, a separate stall shower, double sinks, an array of soaps and shampoos, and large, sumptuous towels. The bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. The location by the train station is convenient if you are using the train, and it is only a ten minute walk to the main square. The only downside to our entire stay was the overpriced breakfast we had--it was approximately $35 per person extra. Our advice is to stay at this hotel if you go to Zagreb, but eat breakfast elsewhere as we did our second morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed November 5, 2013

There is nothing quite like being awoken at 4am to the shrill sound of a heart attack inducingly loud alarm advising you there is an emergency and to evacuate the room. When I and other guests straggled down to the lobby we were told it was a 'technical problem ... this happens' and we could return back. Trying to get back to sleep after that - pretty much impossible. This event colors my entire experience of the hotel. It is gorgeous and the rooms are nicely appointed with the odd exception of the TV sets as others have pointed out. It also is a bit of a walk to the city center which is really worth seeing. Breakfast buffet was rather limited in terms of the hot item selection although you could order a few things they would bring to your table.

So, because of an absolutely horrible night I will not return to this hotel again and would reccomend finding an alternate location closer to the city center where you can get a good night of sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

I arrived by train and so the Esplanade was in a perfect location: a short walk from the station without getting rail noise. It is also very walkable from the Esplanade to the main sights and restaurants and parks of Zagreb. A beautiful classic hotel. Well worth the indulgence

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Abrdngy
Chicago
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our travel agent recommended this hotel. It was less expensive than every other place we stayed in Croatia and was fabulous! A true 5-star hotel. Walking distance to the sights and less than a block from the train station. Definite winner.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank kgsrenChicago
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Esplanade is a traditional grand hotel, very elegant and old-world, but well-maintained and updated. Service was excellent, beginning with the check-in process which is conducted sitting in armchairs at a desk, rather than the usual stand-up counter. We were escorted to our room and the bellman gave us an overview of the facilities. Also, we were able to just leave our rental car at the front door and hand over the keys, and they called to advise the agency it was ready for pickup since we were several hours earlier than scheduled.

I believe we were upgraded to a larger room than we'd booked - it had a sitting area with sofa and coffee table at one end of the large room. Big comfortable bed and huge marble bathroom with a glass-enclosed shower, separate tub, toilet room, double sink, lighted makeup mirror, etc. Lots of closet space, good mirrors & lighting. Altogether a very lovely accommodation, . My only minor criticism is that the pocket door to close off the bathroom has a frosted glass panel - not ideal if one person wants to turn on a light during the night without waking their partner.

The included breakfast buffet had an ample assortment of hot and cold dishes, and is served in the lovely dining room. It was cold and rainy during our stay but it looks like there's patio seating during the summer. One could also order cooked-to-order items off a menu, but the pricing was astronomical. We also had dinner at the hotel restaurant, Zinfandel, and it was outstanding (separately reviewed).

Location of the hotel is good, easy to reach by car, a short walk to the center of town, and virtually next door to the train station which was very convenient as we were departing by train. Our room faced in the direction of the train tracks and while we could occasionally hear the rumble of passing trains, it didn't disturb us. I would highly recommend the Esplanade!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Seattle98101
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Regent Hotel Esplanade, is elegant. Every area of the hotel, which we encountered, was quite elegant. Well located, in the downtown area, within walking distance of the old city. We had dinner the first night at Zinfandels, the up-scale restaurant in the hotel. An excellent meal. All of the staff are "concierges." Even though the concierge desk was busy, the registration desk staff were quite happy to assist us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends