“Doesn't look like much, but....”
Review of Masklin i Lata

Masklin i Lata
Ranked #181 of 850 Restaurants in Zagreb
Cuisines: Croatian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Prior to visiting Zagreb, I presented a list of restaurants that I read good reviews on to a local whose taste I respect . He told me that my list was all tourist traps and presented me with his own suggestions. Masklin i Lata was one of them, and it was close to the hotel to save my poor old mother any additional walking. When we arrived and realized that it was situated in a basement, I practically had to drag her in. She was glad that I did once we ate, though. Excellent food and service, and quite affordable as well. I had some sort of seafood salad and the gnocchi in gorgonzola sauce.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

very nice and small place in the center of the city
very good fish, home made pasta and shells
good selection of wines and home made grappas

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Always looking for new places to visit and explore dinning posssibilities we visited this place on rfriends racomandation only to be sreved stinking shrimps. When confronting the waiter with the fact he was unlikely to beleive, stating that seafood is being freshly delivered each morning. I wonder how is it posssible that cook didn' notice it. We never revisited Masklin and Lata.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I go to Zagreb at least once per year and I cannot miss one dinner at this place.
Very central, not far from the main square and close to the national theatre, surprisingly it's quite often not really busy (at least not around new years eve when I am in town) therefore there might be no need to book it in advance, although I normally do cause I don't want to be disappointed!
A huge selection of fish and meet courses although I tend to go for fish, incredibly fresh any time of the year, and I usually go there on December...
The best octopus salad I've ever tried in Croatia (and I've tried many!!) and definitely shells and squids are just delicious. The house red is good, and the selection of rakija and medica and travarica, and... are often on the house, which is not bad at all!
Will recommend this hidden gem to anyone.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

I was there the other day for the first time in a while with a friend. My fiend ordered the fish which came out cold and I ordered the pasta which had a bad aftertaste.