“interesting even if you're not a regular museum visitor”

Museum of Broken Relationships
Zagreb BIG tour
Ranked #10 of 234 things to do in Zagreb
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Museum of Broken Relationships is a physical and virtual public space created with the sole purpose of treasuring and sharing your heartbreak stories and symbolic possessions. It is a museum about you, about us, about the ways we love and lose. At its core, the Museum is an ever-growing collection of items, each a memento of a relationship past, accompanied by a personal, yet anonymous story of its contributor. Unlike ‘destructive’ self-help instructions for recovery from grief and loss, the Museum offers the chance to overcome an emotional collapse through creativity - by contributing to its universal collection.
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is one of the places you shouldn't miss while in Zagreb! Hilarious, weird, heartbreaking and touching exhibits, with true stories of many shapes a love ending can take.
You don't need more than a couple of hours to see it, read all the stories and browse through the little gift shop.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Very cool place! People from around the world have sent in special items from their lives, with a small note.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

When told by my friends that I should visit this museum while in Zagreb, I snorted. I could curate that museum, I said, and vowed to avoid it.

While in the center of town with two equally stubborn friends, however, I was pretty much dragged to visit it. I am so glad that I did.

I once worked in a world-class museum and know something about how exhibits are developed and curated. This was a poignant, lovely and completely non-exploitative look at how and why relationships end. Artifacts are personal and come in from around the world, and the short text descriptions, written by the donors, are to the point and moving.

The material is organized in a few rooms. You don't need more than an hour or two to visit, and it is so worth your time.

I've visited grand museums in many imposing cities. Never have I been more aware of the sorrow and hope of a common humanity than in this little place. If you find yourself in Zagreb, this is the one thing you must see.

And I bought a souvenir. A "Bad Memories Eraser." We could all use one of those.

3  Thank njp77
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This museum is quite unusual and well worth a visit. It is fairly small, but in a small space, there is plenty to make you think! There is a café attached to the building but I did not sample its delights.

1  Thank DavidFethiye
Reviewed February 16, 2013

As soon as I heard about this museum, it was one of the things I couldn't leave Zagreb without seeing. Every single exhibit is fascinating and there is a good balance of sad and amusing stories and items on display so it's not all doom and gloom inside!

Took around an hour to read every single display (they were all so fascinating!) and the museum is well signposted around the city.

Open from 9am - 9pm, entrance fee was 25KR and there was a small gift shop and cafe inside too.

2  Thank scratchgrey