“Big expectation”

Dining options: Reservations
Zagreb, Croatia
“Big expectation”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

not met!! Poor menue, average food and high prices!!
Shame for such desirable location..

Bristol
“Now rebranded as something else - but reviews still the same.”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Terrible decor, pretty poor food, nice wine. Wouldn't recommend. The worst meal I had in 5 days in Croatia.

Bratislava, Slovakia
“Disaster, very disappointed”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My local Croatian business partners took me to this restaurant as their chef is running the local version of Gordon Ramsey Hell's Kitchen on Croatian TV. The location is right in the city center, but I was a little bit worried, when we came there for lunch and it was empty. I took us a while to attract the attention of the waiter. Overall the service was not the level I'm used to in this kind of restaurants. I've ordered a risotto and the food I've got was a joke. I didn't expect that in Mediterranean country they serve a risotto, which taste like if you mix an overcooked side dish rice with some strange sauce. It didn't have any taste, even that it should have contained quite expensive aromatic ingredients like truffles. The only good thing was the wine. They had a nice selection of quality local wines.

• Visited August 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
“Location great, Food OK, Service poor.”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My wife and I tried this on a recent trip to Zagreb. I checked the reviews before we went and my expectations were not that high.
Firstly the location; We sat outside and watched the world going about its business. It is a busy street so there is always something happening and there was also a nice breeze as it was a very hot evening. The tables were very smart and the area generally tidy.
The food was OK but not fantastic. I had the octopus salad to start which had plenty of octopus but it was a little rubbery. I then had the roast chicken which seemed to be covered in a mustard glaze. Sounds nice but the mustard was far too strong to allow the subtle taste of the chicken to come through. For desert I had the homemade cheesecake which was very good in fact and made up a bit for the chicken.
Sadly we felt let down by the service. The restaurant has a good location and the food was OK and has promise but the waiting staff were grumpy and not up to the job. If the owner is reading this then pay more attention to your front of house as they are what creates an impression on us (the public). It was not a busy night with maybe 30% of the seats full. We had to wait for ages to order and struggled to attract the waiter’s attention for more drinks. When we placed our order the waiter did not write anything down so had to come back twice to verify our choices. We never received the bread that we ordered though it did not appear on the bill either. The table next to us was told they don’t do Pizza and you should go somewhere else for that even though it was on the menu. In general the staff were just not up to scratch and it left a sour taste in our mouths.
This place could be really good, it has the location and the food has promise so maybe I will check back in after a few months.

Dallas, Texas
“Great find!”
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My mom and I took a day trip from Ljubljana to Zagreb (a return ticket on the train was only 30 dollars!) and were searching for a place to have lunch for a long long time. Don't look for restaurants on the main street of the city center, turns out its all bars and coffee shops only. Somehow we stumbled upon Stefano, and were very glad we did!

At first we weren't sure because it looks very fancy and we didn't want to spend a lot of money, but after looking at the menu outside we decided to go for it. Mom had chicken and I had veal, both were delicious! I also sampled the local beer Karlovacko, which was also quite good.

The waiter was extremely attentive and very nice. At the end of the meal I asked if it would be possible to purchase the beer glass I had been using, which had the Karlovacko logo on it (I try to collect beer glasses on my travels). He said he had to go check "something". He came back with a clean glass wrapped up very nicely in a gift bag, which I thought was just wonderful. Sometimes when you ask wait staff about purchasing glasses they rudely bark "no" at you and walk away, so that was unexpected and much appreciated.

When all was said and done we had a very nice meal, with beer and wine, and it cost us only 35 dollars. A similar experience in the states would have run somewhere around 70-80 dollars I am sure! Eat here and you will not be sorry!