“I like it”
Review of Sofia

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
uk
15 helpful votes
“I like it”
Reviewed November 25, 2010

I have visited Sofia many times now. The first was in 2005 and it is easy to get the wrong impression of this wonderful city if you are not able or willing to look beyond the ugly concrete high rise buildings that surround the outskirts.

I have walked and shopped along the main boulevards, eaten in some great (and not so great ) restaurants, visited the theatre and the movies, seen many of the historical buildings, picnicked in the parks and used their public tram service and five years on I can honestly say I feel safer here than I do in England. Just explore a little.

8 Thank skibandit
miami
4 helpful votes
“Venice apartment”
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Recently my wife and me visited Sofia and we were met at airport by Nicolay the owner of Venice apartment which we had rented for our stay at Sofia. We were very pleased to see the apartment looked exactly the same as in pictures and had everything we may need. Very clean and neat, flat tv on bedroom and living and Nicolay always pendant of any thing we might need from intersting places in Bulgaria to a restaurant reservation, he even helped us a lot at Bulgaria customs with a package we were expecting from USA, without him things would have been much more complicated. We recommend to anyone this nice apartment with an owner that will make you feel you are with a good friend.

4 Thank hdeznoa
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 helpful votes
“we have been in Sofia, Bulgaria.”
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We flight to Sofia Bulgaria from October the 11th to the 18th, It was a little bit cold and a little bit rainning but it was OK. The hotel fantastic! The name is :Anel' in Tudor Alexandrov Street, 14.
Still, bulgarians do not know English, not enough to serve tourists. The Sofia streets are in remont and reparations which is good. The people who sell things or serve, like waitress, have still "comunist mentalitet" meaning: They don't try to please you:
" take it or live it"!!
But it will be Ok: first of all: Bulgaria is a beautiful country.
And second: in two years from now, they will enter into the "euro" system, so they will have no alternatives: they must to adopt Western mentalitat...: ilana

5 Thank elenar007
Gig Harbor, WA
10 helpful votes
“A Beautiful City”
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Sofia is a beautiful city unlike any I've visited in Europe. The churches in the city vary from Byzantine to Russian to Ottoman style, each containing it's own unique history and beautiful interior. I recommend touring each individual church, even the small ones you might stumble upon. The Church of St. George, the Russian Church and the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral are particularly amazing. You can clearly see Cathedral from the airplane, it is enormous and beautiful. The museums are very interesting, especially the National Archaeological Museum. The various squares are beautiful. The area around the National Palace of Culture is great. It is very easy to travel around the city. My friend and I walked everywhere and saw the majority of the city on foot. Everything was easy to get to and you will stumble upon amazing sites without even meaning too!When looking for hotels or hostels, check the reviews just in case. I heard from some locals that other hostels, besides the one I stayed in (the Nightingale Hostel, seems shady from the outside but it was very nice and safe), did not have running water etc. Some locals recommended the Happy Grill to us for dinner, which had very good food, though it was more of an American style restaurant, so if you are looking for something that has Bulgarian food, you'll need to eat elsewhere. I had wonderful time in Sofia and definitely recommend the city to anyone interested in a city different than many you might experience elsewhere in Europe.

10 Thank LorenzoHillardo
Lincolnshire UK
9 helpful votes
“Watch out!!”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Great place to visit with many historical sights most within walking distance of centre. Many hotels reasonably priced. However, watch out for the taxi drivers who will try to charge you far more than the actual fare. Make sure you note the rates displayed on the taxi and that they switch on the meter. You should ask for a receipt for your trip which is printed out from the meter. This was our fourth time in Sofia over several years and this was our worst experience of the taxis. Every taxi we used tried to charge us more than the actual fare. Most common is they will try to ask you to pay the fare in euros instead of the levs displayed -it works out about double. A shame for Sofia as this is a city well worth seeing.

9 Thank RGSLincolnshireUK

Been to Sofia? Share your experiences!