“Perfect if you need to be close to the airport”

Metropolitan Hotel Sofia
Ranked #12 of 135 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My flight was diverted from Skopje to Sofia last minute. I booked at the Metropolitan because it seemed very close to the airport and high quality. Happy to confirm both things - also, very kind and professional staff, lovely and spacious rooms. I wish I had more time to check out all the hotel's services (like the spa) - it all seemed nice but I just did not have time because I stayed only for a night and left very early in the morning. I could not availe of breakfast (but got offered the option of a take-away box at the same price, which was very nice) and I was very happy with the free transport to the airport via private mini-van - it was punctual, comfortable and fast. A nice touch: I checked out at 4 a.m. and I found complemetary coffee and little biscuits at the reception. I recommend the Metropolitan especially if you want to be in the vicinity of the airport but also if you are planning to enjoy Sofia - on the way to the hotel I noticed that it is not too far from the city center either.

Room Tip: You can get rooms for smokers.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
MetropolitanHotelSof, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Ms. Carla,

Please, accept my sincere gratitude for your honest review. It will give our team a wonderful start of the day! That is why we work hard every day - to earn our guests' appreciation and satisfaction.

If you have a chance to visit Sofia again, we will be honored to welcome you at Metropolitan.

Have a successful day and once again - thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!

Kindest regards,
Martina Bojanska

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Last week, I stayed there for one night.
The hotel is just perfect! Especially for business travelers - I used the free airport shuttle, free Wi-Fi, complimentary mini bar!, abundant breakfast, spacious room with large bed and bathtub and free fitness and sauna. The staff is always smiling and very helpful. The lobby bar is cozy, with a big TV and piano.

Highly recommended! Deserves 5 stars!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Fantastic airport transfer service, that runs 24 hours and is free if staying at this hotel (to and from the airport). Excellent staff. Not very central, but cabs are cheap in Sofia. Spacious rooms, with plenty of workspace if you are on business. Very clean and modern, with comfortable beds and good linens. Good shower and bath in rooms. Well stocked minibar, and several selections are free. No iron. Good room temeperature control. Bar prices hefty.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
MetropolitanHotelSof, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Dear Mr. Bilgy,

Thank you for sharing this sincere review with us. Nothing is worth more than a compliment from a precious client. I will share your thoughts with the hotel team and we will continue working hard to be even better in the future.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Happy holidays from the MET team!

Kindest regards,
Martina Bojanska

Reviewed October 24, 2013

To be honest, I was a bit surprised about the rating of this hotel. Well its a fairly good hotel, but nothing special. Rooms are good in size, nicely decorated, and everything was nice and clean. BUT its placed 6km from center, and the only view is gasstations and big roads with a lot of traffic. Read in another review that there is a mall closeby. Maybe, but doesnt change the fact that the location is bad. Breakfast was standard, and despite the fact that I ate breakfast 2 min. after opening, a lot of the hot dishes were luke warm. That is simply not good enough. If you just need a hotel to get some sleep before getting to the airport its fine, but otherwise, pick a hotel closer to center

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PeterFabricius-Olsen
MetropolitanHotelSof, Director of Sales at Metropolitan Hotel Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear valued guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your observations about Metropolitan Hotel Sofia via TripAdvisor.

I was glad to know that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

Indeed, the hotel is not located in the city center. However, the district around it is one of the fastest developing areas in the city with numerous business buildings, shopping centers, cinemas, entertainment activities and markets; very close to the Business Park and the International Expo Center. It offers many convenient connections to the center - public transport and subway with stations located on 1-5 min walking distance. Taxi fares are also very affordable - app. 3-4 EUR to the city center.
Moreover, we offer shuttle bus to the center, to the mall and to the airport.

Regarding the view, during your next visit you may require a room overlooking Vitosha mountain - we will be happy to accommodate you on the other side of the hotel.

Our buffet breakfast is prepared daily at 5:30 am and all the meals are freshly cooked. We pay a lot of attention to our breakfast, as it gives our guests their start of the day. All the products are carefully selected, so that they are fresh, healthy and delicious. We strive at providing diversity of choice and quality food and service. If there was some dish that was not hot during your visit, I guarantee that this is not at all typical and it will not happen again.

We all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back under our roof again!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Hi all,
Recently I have visited Sofia, Bulgaria. Of course, a was judgmental, about what kind of a hotel could I find in Sofia and within a reasonable price. Boom, I found it, Metropolitan hotel. As name itself it is enough! It is one of the best hotel Inhave ever been. I am 191 cm tall, and usually hotel rooms and beds are too small for me, not a case in Metropolitan. Bed was king size, under basic price! And staff was so kind! Everyone was talking english fluently, not like in some hotels!
Breakfast they were serving was complete, fresh salad and fruits included! High five!

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear valued guest,

The whole hotel team is extremely delighted to receive your kind comments about Metropolitan – from the guestroom features, the staff to the buffet breakfast.

Thank you for taking time to share them via TripAdvisor - they inspire us and give us motivation to continue our efforts toward achieving the highest service quality! We will be more than happy to welcome you back under our roof, on your next trip to Sofia!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Very good hotel, situated just 10 minutes from Airport Sofia for some business trip it can be useful. As a very nice option they offer free transfer to airport. Modern interior in all common places and rooms. Everything looks extremely new!!!  (Hotel is only 2 years old :). Very clean rooms. Friendly personal at every positions (reception, transfer, bellboys, barmen etc.) It seems they really want you get every service they have at the highest level...

The strange situation with restaurant in the evening. It is declared as opened till 23-30. And it is really opened but without staff... Instead You can order any dish or food from menu at Lobby Bar and it was also acceptable as a service. The variety of food in menu was good enough from grilled octopus and veal steaks to CEDENO MLYAKO (bulgarian national desert).

The only things I can remind as a small bugs (imperfections)
1) Inside the shower cabin there was no little shelf for shampoo  and gel, this is a bit inconvenient moment.
2) There was a very weak signal of WIFI in my room at the 4th floor. But this bugs can be easily resolved...
And I really recommend You this hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear valued guest,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your observations about Metropolitan Hotel Sofia. I am delighted that you enjoyed our facilities and the airport transfer.

Further to your comment about our restaurant, I would like to inform you that it has been closed for a short period but is now open with a refreshed look and feel, offering new seasonal menu with delicious meals.

We will consider your comment about the shower cabin and will come up with a solution.
Regarding the Internet, it might indeed be a little slow at the end of the corridors during intense usage.Currently, we are upgrading our Wi-Fi system and all the devices in order to provide top of the line services with high signal on all the hotel premises.

We all look forward to welcoming you back, when you would be able to enjoy the new Metropolitan restaurant experience!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

That was my first time in Sofia and it turned out to be a lovely city with interesting sites to visit.
Metropolitan was great itself as well. Staff at reception was quite helpful and even picked me up at the airport at no charge saving me the trouble of going around with my suitcases.
The room I had was spacious and clean. There was wi-fi and quite a few English TV channels.
There were also free drinks in the mini bar - something you don't see a lot.
Breakfast and food in the bar were delicious - in the morning you could have an omellete made in front of you.
Overall, i would most definitely recommend the hotel and it will for sure be my choice again during my next stay in Sofia.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business