“Great accommodation, excellent staff”

Metropolitan Hotel Sofia
Ranked #15 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is truly an excellent hotel, the rooms are big and modern, the staff is always helpful and will try to accommodate any needs. The location is not the greatest, but it is quiet and the taxis are not expensive.
The staff is marvelous and speaks English perfectly, I had forgotten my iphone charger at home and they gave me one for the duration of my stay, there is a free minibar with some beer, coke, water and juice. The internet is slow when the hotel is full, but works good in the lobby.
The minuses are the internet, the location and the conference rooms are not great, a little bit uncomfortable. But other than that, it is a brilliant hotel, relatively cheap for the amount of amenities they offer.
For most reservations, the shuttle to and from the airport is included in the price of the hotel and they even offer you a breakfast box if you leave on an early morning flight, the way I did.
Plus, the elevator ride is always awesome since it is a glass window elevator with a view.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Marius N
There are newer reviews for Metropolitan Hotel Sofia

Reviewed April 2, 2012

very clean. spacious rooms. nice service.friendly staff. opt for the upper floor as the view is nicer. has it's own airport shuttle. i didn't get around too much so i can't advise how close it is to any attractions, but it's very convenient for the airport transfer

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gen-Jerome
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Very poor customer service, Internet is not working properly. Front Office manager can not speak English. They charged me for transfer to airport and on their site is mention that is free!

Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Nick K
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed in 1007 and the view from our balcony over the city was just gorgeous! Snowy rooftops and cars with headlights on.. (Jan 2012)
The gowns and slippers on the bed was a good start and the junior suite was quite spacious.
The sauna, jacuzzi and gym seemed nice but we since we only stayed 3 days we didn't get round to it.
If you need to iron a shirt before you order a taxi to the city centre, you will have to make use of the laundry service since an ironboard and iron is not available.
The breakfast is good although I would recommend you arrive before 9am since we went down for breakfast once at 9:30 and they didn't fill up the empty bread baskets and other trays.
Yellow taxis and OK taxis treated us fairly and we had a good stay overall.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Very large, clean, classy rooms. Free parking, free Wifi. Location across the divided road from a mall and very near the airport. Staff at check in were very helpful. Sadly when I called with what I thought was a reservation request , the female representative did not make my reservation, but rather sent me an email link to a different site to make a reservation. Suggest changing this routine as travelers may not always have internet access? Made reservation with short notice, requesting a room without breakfast as we flew out before breakfast serving time. The reception desk offered to have the kitchen prepare a box meal if we wanted.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Luckytraveler10
Reviewed December 24, 2011

My office recently relocated away from the Sofia city center closer to the airport. So this hotel fit my needs being close to our Sofia office. The hotel is modern and clean. Hotel has free Wifi throughout the hotel and offers free mini-bar which was greatly needed after arriving to the hotel just before midnight from the late flight from Frankfurt. If you are looking for hotel in the old part of the city - this would be too far away.

The only minor complaint would be the free breakfast - visually the breakfast looks great and they offer a lot, but the quality is lacking.

Again - I would stay here again on next visit to Sofia. Hats off to the Hotel and Staff

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank CodyDC
Reviewed December 21, 2011

- hotel clean
- bit in the middle of nowhere although there is a mall not too far
- not close to town, 20min taxi ride needed
- staff not attentive to customer needs
- as careful as I am, the bathroom floor is always wet when I shower; the screen isn't watertight
- duvet is standard single but double can be requested

highlight:

I try to order food from room service (which is the restaurant). room service's telephone did not work. I rang reception to complain and they said they will get room service to get in touch. I wait 20min. I ring reception and I am told quite rudely that room service will call me in their own time. I go down personally to the restaurant. There are four waiters (and a pianist), four customers and a phone that rings. I order my food (soup, brown bread and butter). Food arrives quickly with white bread (not what I asked for), butter but no knife (perhaps it was my punishment for ordering a complex dish and they got it wrong!).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business